Dcs jittery when looking side to side

Lupie

I just got an rx 6900 xt and I have a pimax 8kx headset my problem is when I look around its jittery. I was fine on a 2080 ti it was all smooth. Im wondering if anyone knows what amd settings I should use? Any advice would be appreciated. 

My system 

Rx 6090 xt red devil 

32gb 3200 ram 

Asus maximus hero xii wifi

I have experienced this issue with my setup. It appears to go away after tabbing out or opening the advanced frame timing window in steam vr. It has only started happening recently. It has been triggered by me changing ipd, going on the map or changing aircraft. Any ideas to prevent this would be much appreciated.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

9 minutes ago, Dave317 said:

I've just gone from a 1070 to a 6800xt.  There were no stutters with the 1070 but now looking to the side it does.  I tried the alt tab trick which smooths it out while not in focus but as soon as I go back in it stutters again. 

Have you tried disabling fullscreen optimisations ? I'm  running a 6800xt with essentially default Adrenalin settings and do not see the stuttering .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Right-click the DCS executable (not the updater) , select properties , select compatability and you'll see it .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• ED Team

Some users have reported improvement when disabling hyperthreading 

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Apparently I can't do that on my cpu.  It was fine on my 1070 but now with a 6800xt it's quite bad.  Silky smooth when I alt tab out though.  Weirdly the fps don't really drop much at all but the terrain stutters to the sides of the cockpit. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on resolving this?  I just switched from the RiftS to the 8Kx.  The unit works very well in all games and gets great frame rates in DCS, but when I move my head everything is jittery, not just the edges of my view.  What's interesting is that when DCS is not in focus (get yellow 'window out of focus' message on screen) it's smooth as butter.  As soon as I put DCS back in focus it looks like freeze frame when I move my head.  When I don't move my head all animations are smooth.

I've tried altering my PiTool/SteamVR/nVidia settings based on a few different posts here in the forums, but to no avail.  Does anyone have a link to a good PiMax 8kx DCS setup guide?

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

I've resolved the issue on my system.  My DCS Views were bound to other controls.  When you have fast response this isn't visible, but if your video isn't optimized it makes the jitter much more noticeable.  So, control bindings were the root cause, but bad vid response was a contributing symptom.  I'm at a solid 60FPS and 8ms response with a beautiful image free of shimmer/pixels/screendoors.  I did the following to resolve the issue:

• PiTool
    • Create dedicated profile for DCS, do not rely on Common Settings
    • Upscale 114hz
    • Quality to 1.0 (EDIT: I've started using Pimax Quality 2.0 with SteamVR to 100% instead of 300%.  Pimax drivers handle the res better.  30fps gain)
    • All options unchecked
    • FOV normal
    • ** Huge visual quality improvement: Backlight 100%, DCS profile contrast +2, Brightness -2**
      • This fully eliminated the "washed out look" in DCS that I experienced with the Rift-s (which I may use for target practice this weekend)
    • Run Automatic Steam Modifications from PiMax VR Experience
    • **Only run DCS from PiTool, not from PiMax Experience
  • SteamVR
    • Quality to 300%   (EDIT: Set this to 100%.  I've started using Pimax Quality in favor of SteamVR.  After using Pimax VR Experience to auto set Steam settings, go back into SteamVR settings and move slider to 100% or the line which shows preferred res)
    • Advanced Supersampling off
    • Notifications off
    • SteamVR Always On Top off
    • Pause VR when computer locked off
    • SteamVR Home off
  • DCS
    • **Check controls and make sure "views" aren't bound to TM MFDs, pedals, or some other device!
      • I believe this was the root cause of the jitter.  Sometimes after updates DCS seems to auto map views, even if they were previously unmapped
      • If your visual response is low (turn on display performance graph in SteamVR popup outside of VR) jitter is much more pronounced, which is a symptom not a cause.
    • Pixel Density to 1.0
    • MSAA to 2x
    • SSLA and SSLR off
    • All visual settings can be as high as you like with little impact (since PD is 1.0.  We're relying on the high resolution rather than processing.)

Although this worked for me, mileage may vary on other systems.  If anyone has other suggestions or a link to a good PiMax/DCS guide, please speak up.

Edit: I should add my system specs:  i9-10900KF water cooled at 5.4ghz, 64g HyperX running at 3400, EVGA 3090 FTW3 not overclocked, Samsung M.2 drive dedicated to DCS.

Edit 2022: See Quality under PiTool and Quality under SteamVR above.  I used to let SteamVR handle the high res rather than PiTool, but Pimax drivers are now superior.  Pitool quality 2.0, SteamVR quality 100% or less)

Edited by StrongHarm
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

• ED Team

thanks for letting us know what helped you StrongHarm, it may help others. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2