Jump to content

Fj3 fury for Dcs someday?


Recommended Posts

Good day, me again, I was thinking someday Ed could bring some antique carrier jet into the game like Fj3 fury—a carrier version of f86, to make carrier aircraft more diverse, you are more than welcome to engage in polite discussion 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fine by me, not my first choice but wouldn't say no.

 

Only thing is we're missing a heck of a lot of appropriate assets for it - the only BLUFOR ships we have are post 1999 (technically), and the early Cold War is probably the least flushed out era in DCS at present.

 

So far there's only 3 aircraft: the F-86F, MiG-15bis and MiG-19P.

 

There's only 3 ground units: T-55, MT-LB and ZSU-57-2; there are more coming but it's still quite small (AZP S60, KS-19 and an FCR for them both).

 

 

We really need stuff like a SCB-27/125 conversion of the Essex-class aircraft carrier, as well as escorts like a FRAM modified Gearing-class.

 

There's also plenty of BLUFOR ground vehicles missing such as the M48 to name just one.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

 

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

 

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

 

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Fine by me, not my first choice but wouldn't say no.

 

Only thing is we're missing a heck of a lot of appropriate assets for it - the only BLUFOR ships we have are post 1999 (technically), and the early Cold War is probably the least flushed out era in DCS at present.

 

So far there's only 3 aircraft: the F-86F, MiG-15bis and MiG-19P.

 

There's only 3 ground units: T-55, MT-LB and ZSU-57-2; there are more coming but it's still quite small (AZP S60, KS-19 and an FCR for them both).

 

 

We really need stuff like a SCB-27/125 conversion of the Essex-class aircraft carrier, as well as escorts like a FRAM modified Gearing-class.

 

There's also plenty of BLUFOR ground vehicles missing such as the M48 to name just one.

This sounds like a better argument for more early cold war assets. We have a World War II essex on the way and the SCB-125 looks like it would be a simple matter of refining the model fo add  catapults.

USS_Hornet_(CVA-12)_en_route_to_Guantana

Link to post
Share on other sites

AFAIK SCB-125 was a bit more than that I'm afraid, the upper deck was remodelled, a basic OLS was installed (mirror landing aid), new RADARs etc.

 

USS_Intrepid_SCB_modernizationsEdited.jp

 

us_cv_69.gif

 

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

 

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

 

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

 

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Northstar98 said:

AFAIK SCB-125 was a bit more than that I'm afraid, the upper deck was remodelled, a basic OLS was installed (mirror landing aid), new RADARs etc.

 

USS_Intrepid_SCB_modernizationsEdited.jp

 

us_cv_69.gif

 

I meant to typ the SBC-27 the 125 was the angled deck upgrade and I had a 27 in the photo. Anyhow if we have the F-8 on the way then we need the SBC-125 

USS_Hornet_(CVA-12)_en_route_to_Guantana

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahh yeah, that makes sense.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

 

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

 

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

 

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have so many stand ins in DCS for every map theater and mission.. so just chill an Essex with catapults would do fine until a MOD comes along for the Fury..

+1 for 50s and 60s Carrier born planes!

 

I would rather have a Panther but a Fury yes I would definitely buy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if ED is behind it, they have control of the F-86 I believe and that would not be too hard to modify to an FJ-2 compared to coming up with an entirely new type airframe. I too would pay dearly for an F9F Panther and settle for the Essex class CV that is coming with the Corsair.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are actually some era appropriate naval assets inbound to the sim... enough to make up a UN / NATO Carrier Air Group:

 

- Light Fleet Carrier HMS Venerable, complete with angled deck and steam catapults

- Light Cruiser USS Phoenix

- Fleet Destroyers - USN Sumner class 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AG-51_Razor said:

Well, if ED is behind it, they have control of the F-86 I believe and that would not be too hard to modify to an FJ-2 compared to coming up with an entirely new type airframe. I too would pay dearly for an F9F Panther and settle for the Essex class CV that is coming with the Corsair.

That model won't work for the Panther. You would need a catapult to launch a jet and they were installed during the post war SBC-27. I think it would be easy for leatherneck to alter their model the SBC-125 would be more complex

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2021 at 9:18 PM, grumman f14 said:

Good day, me again, I was thinking someday Ed could bring some antique carrier jet into the game like Fj3 fury—a carrier version of f86, to make carrier aircraft more diverse, you are more than welcome to engage in polite discussion 

 

While you wait for the wish to come true, you could use this skin for the F-86:

 

DCS_2020-09-25_11-34-45.jpg

(https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3312383/)

 

Wonder if @Hawkeye60 could suggest a way to add carrier capability to it ? 🙂

 

 

Eduardo

 

  • Like 1

 

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Link to post
Share on other sites

The British demonstrated the angled flight deck and steam catapult concepts to the US in 1952, by launching a Panther off a British Light Fleet Carrier... whilst still tied to the dockside.  
The rest, as they say, is history

 

A British light fleet carrier is on its way to DCS World, courtesy of Razbam

 

image.png


Edited by rkk01
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

upyr1, I don't know where it is that you got the notion that the WWII Essex class carriers did not have catapults but I can assure you that they very definitely did have them - 2 on the bow and early versions even have one athwartships in the forward hanger bay. They weren't used much, mostly because it took so much time to get them hooked up and most of the planes could deck launch anyway but when there was a shortage of realestate on the flight deck, the cats were used.

 

By 1950, the majority of them still in commission were equipped with a more powerful hydraulic cat and a primitive jet blast deflector. And to answer your question about the ability of the Panther to get off the deck without the aid of a cat, I would say no, loaded or not.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, AG-51_Razor said:

upyr1, I don't know where it is that you got the notion that the WWII Essex class carriers did not have catapults but I can assure you that they very definitely did have them - 2 on the bow and early versions even have one athwartships in the forward hanger bay. They weren't used much, mostly because it took so much time to get them hooked up and most of the planes could deck launch anyway

 

I was thinking they didn't have them because  as you stated the planes could deck launch without them. 

19 hours ago, AG-51_Razor said:

By 1950, the majority of them still in commission were equipped with a more powerful hydraulic cat and a primitive jet blast deflector. And to answer your question about the ability of the Panther to get off the deck without the aid of a cat, I would say no, loaded or not.

So this means there are fewer differences between the WW II and SBC-27 configurations. 

Essex-class_carrier_modernisations_1944-

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even carriers aside, you'd still probably need the escorts such as a FRAM Gearing. 

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

 

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

 

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

 

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to mention a couple of AA Cruisers and a BB or 2. I'd also like to see a few different types of support ships such as a fleet oiler and maybe an amunition ship (AE?). We already have a transport and an LST, plus all of the awesome mods out there for various types of ships.

 

DOH!! I guess I got off the subject a bit. 🤭

  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2021 at 7:30 PM, AG-51_Razor said:

Not to mention a couple of AA Cruisers and a BB or 2. I'd also like to see a few different types of support ships such as a fleet oiler and maybe an amunition ship (AE?). We already have a transport and an LST, plus all of the awesome mods out there for various types of ships.

 

DOH!! I guess I got off the subject a bit. 🤭

With the Mariana's map we need more ships of all eras. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...