JetPad - JetSeat review

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to get one of those vibrating pads myself but I'm a wee bit confused as there seems to be (at least) two of them: Gametrix JetSeat, of various models (KW-901 & KW-908) and there's JetPad, which states it's "Powered by Gametrix). What's the difference and should I consider one over the other? Is JetPad some sort of "modded" JetSeat or how are those products related?

If I get a JetPad; will it work out of the box or do I need some additional software, or hardware? Also, are there any real difference to the JetPad and the JetPad "Sim Edition", when used with a normal chair (not a sim rig)?

Ping @=Andre= 🙂

Edited by moggel
  • Like 1

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

Gametrix discontinued their series of vibrating seat pads and are unavailable. Andre used the Gametrix hardware/software as a baseline, but produces his own custom seat pads. He continues to make and sell his custom versions, but they are still technically "powered by Gametrix". The new option that replaced the Gametrix brand is Realteus. If you read these forums, you will find the Realteus has made a lot of customers unhappy with incredibly long delays and/or never delivered a product that had been pre-paid. Of those who actually received their Realteus seat pads, many are happy and some are not due to quality control issues. I have two of Andre's pads. I bought his pad because of the notch for the stick that matches my home ejection seat shape as well as having a color close to real ejection seat pads. I bought the 2nd one to guarantee spare parts when I heard Gametrix was discontinuing their seats. However, as Andre appears to be continuing to produce and sell new seats, I didn't need to do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 9/16/2021 at 2:19 AM, moggel said:

If I get a JetPad; will it work out of the box or do I need some additional software, or hardware? Also, are there any real difference to the JetPad and the JetPad "Sim Edition", when used with a normal chair (not a sim rig)?

The principal difference between the models is the shape. The "Sim Edition" was exactly what I wanted/needed because I have an actual F-4 ejection seat cushion/survival pack and it is notched to permit stick movement. Either one will work just fine with a normal chair, just a matter of which style you prefer.

Out of the box, you need to install the Gametrix software package to get the USB driver. It includes the ability to test the individual motors of the pad and you can even put it into a "massage" mode. After that you need SimShaker for Aviators, often called "SSA", to use the USB driver with DCS and a few other flight sims. The Gametrix software and SSA are free. To date, SSA is still being updated for free to keep up with DCS World patches and new aircraft. I am sure there will be a time where that won't be true anymore, but so far the SSA developer has maintained the software for quite some time with the only compensation being paypal donations by happy end users. 

There is a second software package that is needed for some applications, SimShaker Wings. That one is sold and updated by Andre. If you use any of the applications supported by SSW, then you may want to buy it, too.

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 hours ago, streakeagle said:

The principal difference between the models is the shape. The "Sim Edition" was exactly what I wanted/needed because I have an actual F-4 ejection seat cushion/survival pack and it is notched to permit stick movement. Either one will work just fine with a normal chair, just a matter of which style you prefer.

Out of the box, you need to install the Gametrix software package to get the USB driver. It includes the ability to test the individual motors of the pad and you can even put it into a "massage" mode. After that you need SimShaker for Aviators, often called "SSA", to use the USB driver with DCS and a few other flight sims. The Gametrix software and SSA are free. To date, SSA is still being updated for free to keep up with DCS World patches and new aircraft. I am sure there will be a time where that won't be true anymore, but so far the SSA developer has maintained the software for quite some time with the only compensation being paypal donations by happy end users. 

There is a second software package that is needed for some applications, SimShaker Wings. That one is sold and updated by Andre. If you use any of the applications supported by SSW, then you may want to buy it, too.

Thanks for clearing everything out! I have ordered a JetPad SE from André. Really looking forward to add some extra immersion to the experience!

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

Ordered a JetPad on Saturday and got it today. That was F-A-S-T (thanks @=Andre=)!

However. I just wanted to try it out and I can't feel much of a difference. Tested with the Mustang and I'm very keen to check out the simulated G-effect feedback but can't feel anything special when I pull hard, fire the gun or land extra hard afterwards. The seat does start vibrating when I turn on the engine and there seems to be a difference depending on what I do with the throttle but that's about it.

I tried increasing the G-effect in settings but that didn't do much.

What am I missing?

BTW the software crashed when I tried out the Mosquito, but maybe it needs to be updated for new aircraft models?

2 hours ago, moggel said:

Ordered a JetPad on Saturday and got it today. That was F-A-S-T (thanks @=Andre=)!

However. I just wanted to try it out and I can't feel much of a difference. Tested with the Mustang and I'm very keen to check out the simulated G-effect feedback but can't feel anything special when I pull hard, fire the gun or land extra hard afterwards. The seat does start vibrating when I turn on the engine and there seems to be a difference depending on what I do with the throttle but that's about it.

I tried increasing the G-effect in settings but that didn't do much.

What am I missing?

BTW the software crashed when I tried out the Mosquito, but maybe it needs to be updated for new aircraft models?

Most likely the perpetual engine effect is diluting all other effects. My suggestion is put 0 level to engine, feel the others, then reactive the engine effect and try 10~30% values so you feel it but keep feeling others. 

• Like 2

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

10 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

Most likely the perpetual engine effect is diluting all other effects. My suggestion is put 0 level to engine, feel the others, then reactive the engine effect and try 10~30% values so you feel it but keep feeling others. 

That was correct. I tried turning off the engine effect completely and that made me feel the G-force and other effects.

I would've preferred having the engine effect on the ground and then, once airborn, have it dampened to a very subtle level and I did find that option and experimented with it. The problem is once I go below 12% for the engine effect it stops completely and starting at 12%, it gets very pronounced.

I have the same problem with the G-effect: I set the dead zone to -1.0 <--> 2.5 but at 2.5G it's quite pronounced and there's not much difference as it rises to 6G so it's very much on/off. Is there something I can do to have it start softer and then gradually increase as I pull more Gs? If not it's not of much use as feedback I'm afraid.

Edited by moggel

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Has anyone made mods to make the seat more comfortable?  The motors dig quite hard into my legs and rear. Thought about getting extra padding with round cutout around the motors to alleviate the pressure.

| 8700k @4.9 | Gigabyte Gaming 7 | 32gb Tridentz @3000 | EVGA 1080 TI SC2 | CV1 | VKB MCG PRO

[sigpic]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FeLGqKyJ3K08k3z-7XaegWgRuGRGkKUs/view?usp=sharing[/sigpic]

8 hours ago, Skopro_PL said:

Has anyone made mods to make the seat more comfortable?  The motors dig quite hard into my legs and rear. Thought about getting extra padding with round cutout around the motors to alleviate the pressure.

This was my only problem with the Jet Seat. I have the sim edition and I used recycled cotton fill from shipping boxes to help pad it out. The cotton fill reduces the feeling of sitting on rocks, but it would take custom cut memory foam to make it comfortable.

My seat is a semi-replica of an F-4 Martin-Baker ejection seat using a wood frame with an actual survival kit/seat cushion and back pad. The real seat and back pad aren't much more comfortable than the jet seat sim edition, so pain/soreness is a realistic part of the simulation 😞 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

I've been having some software issues with it lately and wanted to see if anyone else using the JetSeat has had any similar issues. I'm running the most recent beta version of Andre's software, maybe that's the issue, because I'm running the beta version? Anyway, I'll be flying along and then all of a sudden I have extreme stuttering in flight and I'll get a few Windows audible sounds which of course I can't describe. If I switch the seat off at the controller it stops and DCS runs smoothly again. Any of you guys have/had the same problem?

Regarding the complaint some of you have regarding the comfort, I had to send mine back to Andre after 2 of the motors stopped working. When I got it back he put a thicker foam in it. My suggestion would be to go to a fabric store and purchase similar foam padding you can put in on top of the original. Just a thought.

21 hours ago, navyao said:

Regarding the complaint some of you have regarding the comfort, I had to send mine back to Andre after 2 of the motors stopped working. When I got it back he put a thicker foam in it. My suggestion would be to go to a fabric store and purchase similar foam padding you can put in on top of the original. Just a thought.

I cut a thin gym mat to shape and lay that on top to sit on.  Works a treat.

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Like 2

Bell_UH-1 side.png

• 1 year later...
23 hours ago, Bojanglez said:

Where could one find good jetseat settings for the F-14? cant seem to get the numbers right. Anyone care to share some data?

You could also try Simshaker for Aviators discord, there is a specific subchannel to share settings.
These are mine, but there are many factors involved.

image.png

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle