[INVESTIGATING] Strange Harrier idle sound on parking with 0 wind... o_o

D4n

Why would the engine make sounds as if strong wind-turbulences are causing sound-waves to change directions? (or what else is happening here that we hear this? What is the source for this sound, a real Harrier pilot?)

(no wind: grafik.png )

Edited by DanielNL
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

fixed, added video to demonstrate.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

3 hours ago, Dagger71 said:

What are you even  trying to show here?   You are basically moving your head back ad forth quickly. 

Yes, I tried to indicate that the audio-spectrum is wildly fluctuating with this new harrier engine sound, sorry.

Are you talking about the human capability to hear the audio source direction when turning head? Or something else?

As the engine is behind our backside, so turning your head to right will increase the volume on right side and lower at the left side etc.

But....

How should it really sound in Harrier considering you have likely a earplugs and helmet, and then you are a inside closed cockpit, where you should be fairly incapable hear any cockpit buttons and switches sounds (that are there to mimic the lack of of tactile feedback operating those).

But what I do know from older aircraft, like MiG-21Bis, you can barely even hear the helmet radio as the engine is so loud and when you put Afterburner On, you can't hear the radio even.

Compared it to Hornet, it is far more silent as the engines are far, far behind you and air intakes are far behind you as well at below the wings etc.

But even there you should have challenges to hear the radio as the cockpit is not silent.

How it is in the Harrier? The huge air breathing Pegasus beast is just behind your seat, the air intakes are right behind your cockpit sides....

Basically just estimating, I think the audio stereo separation is too big in Harrier currently, that when you turn head you will hear way too loudly the right side and left side separately, while you should have far less the audio separation and so on just hear somewhat differently when turning head but not at all so major difference that you don't hear almost anything when one ear is toward nose.

So I think it should be fairly subtle difference as after all there is almost only the chair and some plating between you and audio source. And the cockpit likely should balance the noise a lot for monotonic.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

2 hours ago, Fri13 said:

Are you talking about the human capability to hear the audio source direction when turning head? Or something else?

about the fluctuating noise only!!

2 hours ago, Fri13 said:

inside closed cockpit, where you should be fairly incapable hear any cockpit buttons and switches sounds (that are there to mimic the lack of of tactile feedback operating those).

Ah true, so is there a way currently of disabling all cockpit-switches-sounds? 🙂

2 hours ago, Fri13 said:

when you put Afterburner On, you can't hear the radio even.

Source please (about this in mig21)

2 hours ago, Fri13 said:

Compared it to Hornet, it is far more silent as the engines are far, far behind you and air intakes are far behind you as well at below the wings etc.

Negative, in Hornet, it apparently is the generator which causes that crazy-annoying continuous non-fluctuating sound (according to some users. I never ever saw an official ED statement about that Hornet cockpit-sound iirc.....)

2 hours ago, Fri13 said:

How it is in the Harrier? The huge air breathing Pegasus beast is just behind your seat, the air intakes are right behind your cockpit sides....

doesn't matter if there is 0 wind on the server... the air would be streaming into the engine in a laminar flow afaik... And one could wonder whether Razbam tries to make such sound just more dynamic to make it more "interesting" to potential customers, instead of making it as realistic as possible 🤔 for example there is not any such fluctuation audible here: https://youtu.be/cTZUFKCmkAs?t=19

31 minutes ago, RAZBAM_ELMO said:

Yeah Im lost as to what the problem you seem to think is. Perhaps you could explain this better

Ok. Please ask your SMEs (real Harrier technicians/Pegasus-engine-engineers and pilots please, if possible) if even at 0 wind+0 turbulence (which the real pilots maybe never flew in?) if such engine-oscillations would even occur (at 0 wind+0 turbulence) and then if they would also be audible in the cockpit. To my physics-knowledge (and real-life experience of acoustics of laminar air-flow), it would not occur (and thus not be audible) if the weather in the DCS mission is set to 0 wind and 0 turbulence.

Perhaps my hearing is not as good as it once was, but where are you hearing this "wind" noise? If I hop in a mission with no wind on the ground at idle where should I be hearing it?

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

• RAZBAM_ELMO changed the title to [INVESTIGATING] Strange Harrier idle sound on parking with 0 wind... o_o
45 minutes ago, RAZBAM_ELMO said:

Perhaps my hearing is not as good as it once was, but where are you hearing this "wind" noise? If I hop in a mission with no wind on the ground at idle where should I be hearing it?

The engine tone is fluctuating in volume the entire time, which I would assume would be caused by wind/turbulences. I sent you an audio-file via discord of what exacly I meant.

Anyone else hear anything weird? I dont personally. The video has been given to the team to have a look. You are moving your head to which can change what you hear.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

4 minutes ago, RAZBAM_ELMO said:

Anyone else hear anything weird? I dont personally. The video has been given to the team to have a look. You are moving your head to which can change what you hear.

aaah okay yes, please also add a note to the team to only focus on the first and last view seconds of the video then, where I don't move. Thank you.

And did you inform the team that in that mission, there is 0 wind and 0 turbulence in the server?

Edited by DanielNL

5 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

They actually integrated a mod that took the sound straight from an in-cockpit video

Ooooh okay 😒

How do you know where they took the sound from, in that mod?

5 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

I'mpretty convinced this fluctuation is a microphone artifact.

Exactly what I thought!!!

13 minutes ago, DanielNL said:

Ooooh okay 😒

How do you know where they took the sound from, in that mod?

Someone posted the video in question when I complained about it. If you look around the board, the thread should be somewhere in there. I think it was in the main AV-8B board.

• 3 months later...

Still not fixed. That stuttery wheezing sound makes the Harrier very frustrating to fly. 

FIY, this sound was taken, with minimum processing, from this video:

I'm not sure the author of the original sound mod had the right to do anything with it (much less hand it over for use in a commercial product), but that's for you to figure out. Here's a video showing that the real Harrier does not stutter:

This isn't free of artifacts (and presumably copyright, either), but it shows very clearly that the current situation is wrong.

• Thanks 2