Jump to content

Having a REALLY hard time with the F18 AA radar again...


Recommended Posts

I have set up a little mission with various flights appearing around my CAP-Waypoints and with some of them normally appearing on BVR radar DDI as blips or contacts, I have constantly problems with others, they don´t appear at all from 70 miles down to dogfight range, they are right in front of me against the sky, until I get visual, and I´m getting no contacts at all switching through all bars and ranges, as if I´m completely blind. Sometimes I have contact on radar page, but constantly loosing lock within seconds when pressing TDC, and I´m completely lost - in the F16 all works fine, contacts showing up, locks are steady, is the F18 radar bugged again or what??

 

By the way this is not for the first time, last year or so I had also heavy problems with getting contacts or keeping locks with bvr radar in F18, but then some update seemed to have fixed it, now it´s exactly the same shit again. Can someone confirm this problem?

 

 


Edited by DST
  • Like 1

I7 8700K 32GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Rift S

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, here´s a trackfile, I hope it shows what´s happening, 2 Mig29A´s in front of me, at first I made bvr lock´s, loosing them again, locking again, loosing them again, and then they dissappear and never come again, at the end you can see the datalink-symbol from my wingman, but I have no contact with radar all the time.

 

So please tell me if this is normal behaviour due to some realistic new features I know nothing about, or simply bugged.

noradarcontacts2.trk

I7 8700K 32GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Rift S

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MrReynolds said:

I've got to say I've never had problems with radar in many many years of simming.

The Hornet?  She's a bugger!    

 

So you mean you have similar problems with the F18? Because I´m sure this was fixed last year, it worked pretty well for quite a while and now this weird radar behaviour is back.

I7 8700K 32GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Rift S

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Your targets are at 60-50 nm, and you have radar set for 40 nm,  so you have limited SA and possibilities.

2. Targets are climbing from angels 2, and you loose them, when they're at Angels 20, because your radar is set forward and like it's shown on the cursor maximum altitud on 40 nm is Angels 18.

 

Solution:

Switch radar to 80 nm, when trgets are closer to 40

Move your radar antenna verticalu to keep tracking targets or switch it to auto.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DST said:

So you mean you have similar problems with the F18? Because I´m sure this was fixed last year, it worked pretty well for quite a while and now this weird radar behaviour is back.

Yeah.  Lose track all the time.  Even when at the right height.  Go tight beam and still it's a bugger to get a hit.

But I'm more a mud mover, so not exactly The Red Baron or Chuck Yeager!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Foka said:

1. Your targets are at 60-50 nm, and you have radar set for 40 nm,  so you have limited SA and possibilities.

2. Targets are climbing from angels 2, and you loose them, when they're at Angels 20, because your radar is set forward and like it's shown on the cursor maximum altitud on 40 nm is Angels 18.

 

Solution:

Switch radar to 80 nm, when trgets are closer to 40

Move your radar antenna verticalu to keep tracking targets or switch it to auto.

thanks for advice, but it still appears bugged to me. Tried again multiple times now - I constantly loose lock, even when on same altitude, already in sight of bandit way below 40 miles range, nose pointed straight towards it, lock gets broken, contacts disappear out of nowhere all the time - for no apparent reason. 

I7 8700K 32GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Rift S

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hornet radar has multiple problems right now, and for a forum admin to dismiss them with "user errors" and "cannot reproduce" tags is disingenuous.  That may have been the case in this one example, but the forums are littered with people explaining that they cannot maintain track on a brick right now. 

 

An ED rep even acknowledged some of this last week, while suggesting we make sure target aging is set to something longer than 4 seconds.  I've been setting it to 16 and that *may* help but is not the total answer. 

 

Most of my issues have been in RWS... TWS seems to work better. 

 

Then there's the ACM mode issue of lateral and vertical scan patterns being reversed. 

 

But yes, there are multiple problems right now with the Hornet radar maintaining a track.  Who knows if they all have one root cause... but even if so, it's not just "user error".  The latest update made something worse here. 


Edited by Stearmandriver
  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so if it's "user error", I would like to learn about it, because there is no explanation video or manual passage that deals with constantly disappearing target tracks or lock breaking all the time. Whats the reason for it? Elevating antenna up and down has the same effect like pitching nose of whole plane up and down right? So when I pitch nose right in front of bandits (I even already am visual though flying in VR) range set to 20 nm and have simply NO contacts, bricks, whatever on DDI what is the reason for this? Is it jamming (happens also with Fulcrum A, so can't be), is it due to small radar profile because of bad angle? Is it due to "target aging" (that doesnt explain why there are no contacts at all, I mean they are right in front of me inside the HUD-circle so at least SOMETHING has to appear on radar, right?)? 

 

I don't get it

I7 8700K 32GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Rift S

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem also is, it is not ALL the time. Sometimes it works quite well, and then suddenly problem is there again. So it's quite hard to reproduce this. 

But I'll try to mantain another trk-file 

I7 8700K 32GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Rift S

Link to post
Share on other sites

So here´s another trk-file, assuming it´s not a bug, but my own stupidness, is somebody able to explain to me the reason for loosing the lock in this case here?

Maintaining it nearly all of the time, and just right before I´m in shooting range, I loose lock and target tracks suddenly disappear, and I still don´t get why? Bandits in this case are JF17´s, is this the effect of enemy jamming maybe? 

lockbreaking.trk

I7 8700K 32GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Rift S

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2021 at 9:05 AM, DST said:

Elevating antenna up and down has the same effect like pitching nose of whole plane up and down right?

No, it is wrong. Antenna is space-stabilized and in TWR/RWS should keep constant elevation. Different situation is in ACM when radar is stabilized with the aircraft.

 

Anyhow, since the last update, AA radar is really hard to use. It is hard to say if it is connected with ECM Jammer implementation, which is generally not useful. Instead we have broken radar, which was working not so bad month ago.

 

EDIT:

My *.trk is too big (13MB) so I am giving a link here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lM85HAypAodZ_qofuzMfsMpXthwV6WKs?usp=sharing

 

In the last 3 minutes there is a situation, where I cannot escape from STT to TWS. Scan bar behaviour is like in ACM, shows TWS or RWS and range 40nm, hitting "S" many times and unable to exit to any real radar mode.

 


Edited by Padre Pio
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Padre Pio said:

No, it is wrong. Antenna is space-stabilized and in TWR/RWS should keep constant elevation. Different situation is in ACM when radar is stabilized with the aircraft.

 

Anyhow, since the last update, AA radar is really hard to use. It is hard to say if it is connected with ECM Jammer implementation, which is generally not useful. Instead we have broken radar, which was working not so bad month ago.

Ah ok, thanks, so assuming that was my fault. 

 

So tried around with my self-manufactured CAP-Mission again, and now it worked again, I got the occasional lock-break with 2 Su33´s, but this time I narrowed down azimuth to 20 and changed to 4 bars and contacts appeared again on DDI. So it´s really hard to nail down for me under which circumstances the track-loss and lock-loss seem to appear, 


Edited by DST
  • Like 2

I7 8700K 32GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti Rift S

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DST said:

Elevating antenna up and down has the same effect like pitching nose of whole plane up and down right?

 

No, radar antenna is ground stabilized and you have indication of its level on radar screen.

5 hours ago, Padre Pio said:

It is hard to say if it is connected with ECM Jammer implementation, which is generally not useful.

It is very usefull.

1. For ground attacks and avoiding SAMs
2. When in flight one of flight members is jamming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Foka said:

2. When in flight one of flight members is jamming.

 

Does "collective jamming" effectively work in game ?

If my wingman is jamming am I protected as long as we are both beyond burn through ?

  • Like 2

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X/ RAM 32 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Saitek X-55 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Rift S

M-2000C X-55 VR profile / M-2000C custom SERVAL symbols assignation

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hornet air to air radar doesn't recognize any targets some reason after i loaded the new version. 

 

I have try several head on approach but even i try everything radar just don't recognize anything and hafu symbols not appear at all?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, La Unión Atazar said:

it reduces the scanning distance to 40 miles and its antenna drops to 17,000 feet, with the contacts at 17,500 feet. Then you raise the antenna to 18,000 and they appear again.

It's not that "antenna drops", it's a cone, and the altitudes range are shown in place of a cursor, so if you change radar range, and cursor stays in this same place on screen it now shows altitude rand in differen range from plane.
On picture #1 cursor shows alt range at ~60 nm, on #2 it shows alt range at ~27 nm, so it's more narrow. Targets flying in level flight just flew out of radar cone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of OP having misconceptions/user mistakes (I don‘t know for sure, cannot see the tracks right now, so this is just based on the replies. Sorry if not the case)...

 

Is it then safe to assume we still have AA radar issues? I mean, is it general understanding? I have that feeling: locks are lost very often, and these is my personal experience:

  • It happens more in RWS than in TWS (I thought IRL it should be the other way round, though)
  • bugged contacts have to be reacquired often
  • also happens in STT
  • very often, launching an AIM-120 upon a bugged (or STT‘ed) target will result in „LOST“ symbology, or just lock broken seconds after launch
  • contact aging increase might help in RWS (have to test more)

because of all of the above, plus the extreme sensitivity of AMRAAMs to chaff, I end up launching only on hot targets around/under 10nm, to ensure missile goes active quickly...which defeats the purpose of a medium range missile. I feel like carrying extended (not much) range sidewinders 😞

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
hace 28 minutos, Foka dijo:

It's not that "antenna drops", it's a cone, and the altitudes range are shown in place of a cursor, so if you change radar range, and cursor stays in this same place on screen it now shows altitude rand in differen range from plane.
On picture #1 cursor shows alt range at ~60 nm, on #2 it shows alt range at ~27 nm, so it's more narrow. Targets flying in level flight just flew out of radar cone.

You're right, maybe I haven't explained it well, but deep down I meant the same thing as you. The cone was closed at the time of reducing the scan distance to a value of forty miles.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, raus said:

Regardless of OP having misconceptions/user mistakes (I don‘t know for sure, cannot see the tracks right now, so this is just based on the replies. Sorry if not the case)...

 

Is it then safe to assume we still have AA radar issues? I mean, is it general understanding? I have that feeling: locks are lost very often, and these is my personal experience:

  • It happens more in RWS than in TWS (I thought IRL it should be the other way round, though)
  • bugged contacts have to be reacquired often
  • also happens in STT
  • very often, launching an AIM-120 upon a bugged (or STT‘ed) target will result in „LOST“ symbology, or just lock broken seconds after launch
  • contact aging increase might help in RWS (have to test more)

because of all of the above, plus the extreme sensitivity of AMRAAMs to chaff, I end up launching only on hot targets around/under 10nm, to ensure missile goes active quickly...which defeats the purpose of a medium range missile. I feel like carrying extended (not much) range sidewinders 😞

Agree with all these things, except that I'll launch AMRAAMs at 15 miles with decent luck... IF I can hold track on the target long enough to do it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...