VR Question as it relates to the F18

I am not sure how others are doing this but in the F18 cockpit you have switches to the left and right slightly sitting back behind the pilots arms. You have the ejection handle sitting right in your lap. When using VR I find that access to any buttons sitting toward the back of the panel or the ejection handle are really hard to look at that far down or that far over my shoulder in VR (I am using the VR  "+" symbol and clicking my mouse). How are others doing this in VR? Are you just mapping a button on the keyboard instead of use the the VR cockpit "+" for those buttons?

There is a menu item that allows you to unlock the + cursor and move it around using your mouse in VR. that is how I reach those areas of the cockpit. It still requires turning your head, but at least your aren't trying to break your neck in the process. I'm at work right now, so unfortunately I can't tell you the exact option it is. If I remember correctly its in the VR menu tab. Every thing else I try to map to my HOTAS.  

I'm lazy, I grab my helmet with my left hand and force the view down to click the button with the VR mouse.

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

If I don't feel like twisting around too much when accessing switches on both side panels, I simply lean forward and press re-center button/key so when I lean back the cockpit 'moves forward', making it a lot easier to get to these switches. After I'm done... press re-center again from my normal position.

22 minutes ago, Gripes323 said:

If I don't feel like twisting around too much when accessing switches on both side panels, I simply lean forward and press re-center button/key so when I lean back the cockpit 'moves forward', making it a lot easier to get to these switches. After I'm done... press re-center again from my normal position.

This is what I do also.

Edited by Drac

Depends on which buttons I need to reach. Those which are right at back of the panels/cockpit, I sometimes shift the cockpit "camera" backwards (I got the movement of the cockpit camera on a controller, which is right at my reach... UP/DOWN/FWD/BACK). There are only some few switches and dials I need to reach, while flying in the normal position. Most of the things are done on startup (coldstart). I have no trouble with "HARNESS... LOCKED" on takeoff, I just glare down.

My G2 doesnt lose track while glancing back for example at the volume dial of "WPNs"

image.png

These are all great ideas. Thanks a ton for the support here. I like the idea of just repositioning the camera, thats super easy as I have that mapped to a button already. That is what i was doing DUNX and my neck started to hurt. I thought I was in the movie the Exorcist for a second as far as I forced my head to turn 🙂. I think I will also give the controller a try as well. I have a few of those sitting around. Again thanks a ton for the responses. 

4 hours ago, Repth said:

There is a menu item that allows you to unlock the + cursor and move it around using your mouse in VR. that is how I reach those areas of the cockpit. It still requires turning your head, but at least your aren't trying to break your neck in the process. I'm at work right now, so unfortunately I can't tell you the exact option it is. If I remember correctly its in the VR menu tab. Every thing else I try to map to my HOTAS.  

+1

7 minutes ago, Justin1Ntime said:

I thought I was in the movie the Exorcist for a second as far as I forced my head to turn 🙂

lol...

yeah, pretty bad for the neck...

I got the controller sitting just next to the mouse, so it's easy to reach and find while wearing VR.

And on the "LB" button I got the "camera reset", which I always use when "entering" the cockpit, as the FWD slew isn't enough for my taste, as it stops too far from the dashboard (only in the fa18, as on others like a-10c, p51 you are able to slew just into the radom...)

my 2  cents  worth i  use  my middle  mouse button  click on it  twice  (and the  view  moves when i  turn the middle  mouse  button fwd  or   back)  in  which i  can  turn  around  with out  straining  to  click  any  switches  behind  or  anywhere  in the  cock pit.   Once  done  i move  my  view  fwd  again.  Also iam using  voice attack(think its  a  must if  using  vr)   since  using  vr  there  are  switches  etc  that  u need  to lift  your  head  set to  set  ie  like  the  fcs  reset  and  there  are  so many  buttons  that there  are  not enough buttons  on  the  throttles  etc.

Edited by pete_auau

I use point control, so its a bit less of an issue, but I've totally used the recenter view setting to make it easier. Also to make sure to have pilot/on/off mapped somewhere. As well as the VR zooms.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

42 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

I use point control, so its a bit less of an issue, but I've totally used the recenter view setting to make it easier. Also to make sure to have pilot/on/off mapped somewhere. As well as the VR zooms.

Yea, the 'point control'. If I put my name on a waiting list when I first heard about it I'd probably be using it already, but no... I was too impatient for waiting lists😬 

12 hours ago, Gripes323 said:

Yea, the 'point control'. If I put my name on a waiting list when I first heard about it I'd probably be using it already, but no... I was too impatient for waiting lists😬 

Lol yeah I know what ya mean - I am finally on the waiting list so hopefully I will be able to get it before too much more time passes.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|