Whenever I watch this guy's videos....

How true is the flight model? Probably very good...within the tested limits. That is, fly within normal operational limits, where most data is available and it's probably accurate enough. Push it to the edge of the envelope where far less data exists and it probably gets less realistic. Add to that that there will always be some simplifications for the more unusual or slight forces acting on an aircraft and you will always have potential for unrealistic behaviour.

It's also not just about flight model. I don't know, but I'm guessing, in a lot of cases telling a real aircraft to pull some of these moves and you're problem isn't going to be aerodynamic. It will be structural stress which is almost non existent in most sims. Even the most advanced title I know in this area (BeamNG) is far short of perfect and it's the main area of focus there.

There will always be people testing the flight/driving model to the limits in sims and they'll always be finding areas where it breaks down.

Edited by John C Flett
  • Like 2

Can hardly say better than John here. The Mi8 FM is as realistic as it can be provided you are flying her in game as you would fly her IRL. The moment you are trying to do stupid things in game that would kill you IRL, then all the equations of the FM are probably starting to output some weird stuff. This is where the difference sits between a sim pilot and an arcade/video game one. Those guys trying to pull stunts in DCS choppers belongs to the second category. This has nothing to do with skills.

We had a few guys like this who showed up at the squadron. They didn't stay very long. Once they finished doing their loopty loop in front of everyone and started to fly combat missions with us, they very quickly realized that they have a better chance to impress in Arma III than in DCS.

Edited by BaD CrC
  • Like 2

Similar things will happen even in commercial full-motion Level-D simulators. I have tried it a couple of times - funny things will happen.

In fact, Airbus does not recommend the pilots to train specific "out of envelope" conditions, because they can't guarantee realistic behavior and fear "negative training".

My cyclic stick - modded MS FFB2 and

My Mi-8 training videos

For all we know, that behavior is correct. Why? Because no one with even a piece of sanity would try that IRL. I do a lot of stuff in different sims that I wouldn't even dream to do IRL because there is no pucker factor. If a bunch of real Mi8 pilots says that FM is good for normal flying, who are we to tell different? 

Getting new damage model should start to fix these things....

Like the stress to gearbox or rotor hub with hinges etc is so huge that they can be programmed to happen effectively almost always.

Unless someone can come up with a evidence that such things shouldn't happen in the extremest out of envelope flights, then so be it...

No data = more damages based to physics.

It will effectively stop silly things...

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.