TPR Brake mod

Goblin

A common problem with many flightsim rudder pedals is that they have rather weak centering forces compared to the users strong and heavy legs.

The TPRs are no exception even if the pendulum design actually makes the heavy legs part of the centering force.

I added a damper to the rudder and used both springs and this really improved the feel of the rudder function.

The toebrakes, however, were still too light for my taste and needed a beefier return force.

The TPR pedals have these nifty hall sensor units with return springs. I opened them up and replaced the springs with heavier gauge.

I was concerned that the original mounts where the sensor assembly connects to the footrest, wouldn’t cope with the added force. The metal is rather brittle and only secured by two 3mm screws and the ball joint is plastic.

I made new brackets from extruded aluminum and secured these to all the seven holes in the footrest. I also replaced the plastic ball joint with a steel unit.

Now the toebrakes have a heavier return force and a much heavier feel to them. I still would like a damper of sorts, to the toebrakes, but I’m not sure how... Need to think about that. 🙂

ED4E4B3C-6CD3-44BE-9EDF-A46B30C0884B.jpeg

3F50A30F-5EE4-47D5-844F-C4CC89E70164.jpeg

B2C03F6E-5D05-46DA-B46A-8A24A0D4D1A6.jpeg

B3038328-CABE-4335-BB2E-3768BAAD1965.jpeg

Edited by Goblin
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Made some other modifications.

I have swapped the plastic rod end bearings with metal ones. They are now held in place by M5 screws and brass bushings. The screw and nut squeeze the bushings towards the ball in the rod end, keeping it snug.

I also swapped the ball joint on the toe brake mod I did earlier. It had a small gap that caused a clicking noise when applying brakes. These rod ends are tighter and the entire rudder pedal and toe brake assembly is now completely free from any play in the mechanism.

F83C019C-58E3-4C58-98C7-90E268BBD2D2.jpeg

44219E12-B1E2-4925-9B0E-0AF41223996E.jpeg

4731F2D7-C40B-4C1A-9D70-A1E56C24E8F9.jpeg

C4F57C98-06D8-4A02-A98B-23323FEF89FE.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

@Goblinthis is awesome 🙂 I've also done the damper mod for the rudder portion which now accentuates the light springiness of the brakes. I was hoping someone would've paved the way with a mini damper mod for the brakes as well but I guess not yet. Do you have to have a set of spares for the brake mod/upgrade you did? I'd copy-paste it into my setup if I could.

• Like 1

I haven’t found suitable dampers for the brakes, so I did the next best thing and swapped the springs.

I don’t have any parts, besides the ones I’m using myself.

But the only parts you need to make are the aluminium brackets for the footrests.

The rest you can get on ebay.

• 8 months later...

Hi Goblin,

I came across your TPR Toe Brake Mod and I am in the process of rounding up the parts needed for this project. I already have the aluminum bracket which will be fabricated to connect to the Toe brake via the 7 screws etc. I am just at a loss on the size and name of the actual Ball joints you used. Would it be possible for you to post on this thread a list of the parts you used for this mod? You are one of the few folks I have seen, who have done this mod so your information is helpful to not only me, but the others that would like to take this mod on themselves.

Also you mentioned:

"Made some other modifications.

I have swapped the plastic rod end bearings with metal ones. They are now held in place by M5 screws and brass bushings. The screw and nut squeeze the bushings towards the ball in the rod end, keeping it snug.

I also swapped the ball joint on the toe brake mod I did earlier. It had a small gap that caused a clicking noise when applying brakes. These rod ends are tighter and the entire rudder pedal and toe brake assembly is now completely free from any play in the mechanism."

Would love your shopping list so I can go hunt down these parts!

Thanks Goblin!

RyanC7007

• 5 months later...

Hi @goblin did you consider using a progressive spring solution for the brakes?  I upgraded the spring but it still lacks 'brake pedal feel'.  I tried putting a rubber grommet on one end of the spring with a washer to separate them and hoped it would compress to give that 'hydraulic' feeling to the brake but it didn't compress at all and just reduced the travel, a bump stop effectively.  My next consideration was to use a progressive spring but I couldn't find one that small.  So instead I plan to replace the spring with two shorter springs, one much heavier, separated by a washer.  This then would effectively be a progressive spring, the softer one will compress until the halfway point after which the stronger one will be in effect.  Hopefully this will give the feeling of a brake pedal.  I haven't done your modifications though, I can't fabricate stuff like you so I am just leaving mine stock.