Carrier "Animations/Feel" Improvements

BelowAverageBrad

Sorry if this has been brought up before or is in the totally wrong spot, not really a bug, and don't know if it would be considered an SC or Plane "thing", but there's a few things I've noticed after trying out the hornet on the carrier this week and was curious if others have noticed it, and if my perception is totally off. I feel like overall the hornet feels more "lively" on the deck than the cat does.

First thing, the launch bar on the tomcat doesn't fully come down, or "lock-into" the shuttle, isn't a game-changer but for an immersion nut, I noticed it after trying the hornet and seeing it's launch bar connect to the shuttle was hoping it might be down the road.

Second, when you get launched in the hornet you can see and almost feel it "bounce" to life as it launches, and the same once you clear the deck, when it kinda "drops". I know the cat is much bigger and heavier, which would explain why it wouldn't "bounce" when you launch, but I don't get that same "drop off the deck" sensation I got from the hornet. Overall, the "feeling" I get when I launch with the cat, doesn't feel as "lively and jumpy" as the hornet does, which may be normal, I'm just an arm chair pilot.

Last, and this may not even be right, its hard to watch replays, and swap to 3rd person right after landing to see, but it looks like after you land the hornet, the arresting wire will pull your plane back a bit, and the wire will "react" when you put your hook up. Again, to me the cat  doesn't feel as "lively", and seems like after you catch the wire, it will just retract back when it wants, which causes the wire to sometimes get "stuck" on your hook when you put it up.

Again this is just my opinion, and was curious if I'm just wanting too much out of the game or if others have noticed the same.

Edited by BelowAverageBrad

You can get your hook snagged onto the wire with the Hornet, too. Generally, you need to let the wire pull you back a bit. Tomcat is heavier, so it doesn't do it nearly as eagerly.

As for takeoff, keep in mind you're taking off in military power, in a much heavier plane. Also, you're taking off with full flaps, the Tomcat has a lot of lift with the wings spread and as such, will settle less in clean configuration.

I'd gladly see some bounce at the launch - RL videos show such behavior for the Tomcats too.

The drop is there alright - just launch heavier and you'll see. There were discussions on whether the launcher force should be less automatic and have the option to be corrected by the pilot by requesting different weight from the ground crew.

If you trap by the book you catch the wire with throttle in MIL for a 1-2 seconds and then idle if you trapped fine. The wire will pull you a bit, you raise a hook and you can taxi away. Again, there were discussions that suggest DCS overmodels the wire stickiness.

Having said all that both SC and Tomcat are still in EA and we hope for many improvements.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria