Repairs are Incomplete!

mytai01

The repair option fails to repair everything. It's never repaired/reset the use of emergency landing gear deployment back to normal use. It may also re-damage when it's dropped back on the ground after repair

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey DoorMouse,

Next time your INS fail, could you note precisely what steps you took to repair and restart? I know that the code for the repairs exists and should be working, but maybe we're missing something here. Please note that both the IMU and the AHRS may require re-alignment/re-erecting, and this may require some time.

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

On 3/3/2021 at 6:01 AM, DoorMouse said:

This has been persistent - The worst is the INS. If you shatter it or misalign it you cant repair - you have to just get a new aircraft 

If the INS gets shattered, it does indeed not get repaired anymore based on my own experience. I haven't tried to repair a shattered INS for quite a while though, so my experience here might be outdated. And when I tried to repair a shattered INS in the past it has always been when doing multicrewing, so this might also be a factor.

I'm gonna try repairing it next time I get a damaged INS instead of just respawning, to check if anything has changed. (It will be on a multicrew flight though)

If the INS just gets misaligned, but is not damaged, then you can just realign it. That works absolutely fine.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thank you for your observation.

Please consider an alternative (and plausible) sequence of events:

1. The INS or the IMU got damaged, the system switched automatically to AHRS/AM.

2. The main source of your attitude is now the AHRS, and it feeds to the HUD/VDIG.

3. During your flight (even before the INS/IMU got damaged), you hit the pitch limits for the AHRS (<82° up or down), and your AHRS tumbled a bit (or more if you did it several times). That's why your horizon isn't level any more. Even when nothing is damaged and manually switch to AHRS/AM and do some loops, you'll observe the same effect. After some time spent in a horizontal unaccelerated flight, it should return to the right position. Pressing the HDG knob/button on the COMP panel may speed up the process.

4. You land and hit repair. The INS and the IMU are fixed now, but the mode is still AHRS/AM as the system never automatically returns to INS after detecting a failure.

5. The AHRS gyros are still spinning, so they don't erect to the upright position that quickly. The result is that you still observe the skewed horizon line from a misaligned (but not broken) AHRS.

6. The IMU and the INS can be used since they are no longer broken, but their state is a complete mess. They need to be reset and realigned from the beginning.

I'm not saying that for sure there's no bug. I just wanted to show that it's a complex thing, and we need to understand every detail before we identify the problem. I'll be happy to answer to your questions, and I'd greatly appreciate if you assist in understanding this issue.

Edited by Super Grover
  • Like 1

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

4 hours ago, QuiGon said:

And when I tried to repair a shattered INS in the past it has always been when doing multicrewing, so this might also be a factor.

Last time (a long time ago) I repaired the F-14 with multicrew, both the RIO and pilot had to ask for a repair to fix the plane. Perhaps only one of you did a repair?

17 minutes ago, Super Grover said:

Thank you for your observation.

Please consider an alternative (and plausible) sequence of events:

1. The INS or the IMU got damaged, the system switched automatically to AHRS/AM.

2. The main source of your attitude is now the AHRS, and it feeds to the HUD/VDIG.

3. During your flight (even before the INS/IMU got damaged), you hit the pitch limits for the AHRS (<82° up or down), and your AHRS tumbled a bit (or more if you did it several times). That's why your horizon isn't level any more. Even when nothing is damaged and manually switch to AHRS/AM and do some loops, you'll observe the same effect. After some time spent in a horizontal unaccelerated flight, it should return to the right position. Pressing the HDG knob/button on the COMP panel may speed up the process.

4. You land and hit repair. The INS and the IMU are fixed now, but the mode is still AHRS/AM as the system never automatically returns to INS after detecting a failure.

5. The AHRS gyros are still spinning, so they don't erect to the upright position that quickly. The result is that you still observe the skewed horizon line from a misaligned (but not broken) AHRS.

6. The IMU and the INS can be used since they are no longer broken, but their state is a complete mess. They need to be reset and realigned from the beginning.

I'm not saying that for sure there's no bug. I just wanted to show that it's a complex thing, and we need to understand every detail before we identify the problem. I'll be happy to answer to your questions, and I'd greatly appreciate if you assist in understanding this issue.

That's some really interesting info, thanks!

In my case I always did a complete realignment, because my pilot and I always shut down the aircraft completely to repair and then had to restart all the systems again after repairs finished. I can't remember exactly what was wrong afterwards, as this was in the early days of the release of the DCS Tomcat and I have since not tried repairing a damaged INS anymore.

I will definitely give the repair another try on my next broken INS which will probably not take too long to happen... :music_whistling:

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

One thing to note: the AHRS power doesn't require the WCS to be powered. In other words, and simplifying it: the AHRS is on whenever the electrical system is working (powered from a ground power source or the generators). And it means that probably your AHRS keeps spinning when you re-arm and repair so that it will be slowly erecting to the proper horizon position, but it will be much slower than when you do it from a cold&dark situation. Pressing the HDG button on the COMP panel should make it a bit quicker.

Krzysztof Sobczak

Heatblur Simulations

Hmm what about other stuff like

emergency Gear (& hook) used - cannot be reset (includes NWS)  -

Jester decides to eject - no new Jester or canopy on repair

Engine FIre - flames seem to remain "glowing" after repair

Flaps (over G)

They dont seem to be repaired by ground crew

Edited by The_Tau