Option for simulated weapons and kills?

rrohde

When it comes to DCS campaigns that are about training during peace time at NTTR, I always hope for *that one campaign* that allows for simulated weapon releases and kill counts. 

Maybe I'm the only one, but for some reason shooting down my fellow trainees with their planes falling out of the sky in flames (and mine as well) puts me off as that's not what training is about. 

I much rather hop into my jet, do the training, shoot and score with simulated missiles and guns, and have both me and my opponent join up again and fly home to land. 

Is that possible in this campaign? Or do I actually shoot and kill instead? 

Thanks. 

Edited by rrohde
grammar/typos
  • Like 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Bio will tell you in the first briefing: it's a game and it's fun to blow stuff up. Don't get hung up on this.

Imagine I tried to create triggers and scripts for simulated calls. How do you select which bandit you fire at in a big furball of 12 aircraft? How do you select your simulated weapon? Would you fiddle with the F10 radio menu? I don't think so. These scripts would have to take into account the weapons you use, the distance, the radar mode, the aspect, the speed of your aircraft and your target, relative altitudes, defensive maneuvers, countermeasures, and a hundred other things to evaluate if a shot is a kill or a miss.  When I say it's not possible, it's an understatement. I would end up rewriting ED's weapon codes. What's the point of reinventing the wheel?

This being said, the player is set up in a way that he cannot be harmed, so when you're hit, the kill is called via Showtime, and you'll need to bug out and wait for the others to finish. The others will blow up. But they will respawn once the exercise is complete, and you can return to Nellis together.

• Like 1

Interesting - thanks for the pointers. 

The reason why I asked the question was the availability of these training ordnance (screen capture below) in DCS, but it seems as if ED never developed those into functioning training weapons then for campaign makers to work with. I had hoped they did. 

image.png

• Like 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

2 hours ago, rrohde said:

Maybe I'm the only one...

No, but there's only few of us 😉 Every now and then such complaint come up regarding NTTR campaigns. Unfortunately without internal DCS support we won't get that Master Arm - TNG switch working. Good to see your new ideas implemented, Reflected. I got to live with what we have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 2 months later...

If we cannot be destroyed and the opposite can respawn, then I may buy this one. I hate in NTTR campaigns to make always the same flight route and then die in an A/A combat. I wish DCS could have the option to save in the middle of the flight and continue when you want. I find that way the best to learn, and not waste a lot of our time repeating the same mission until we end it.

• Like 2