Nav Point Problems

GreyBadger

Hi all

I’ve created a very basic mission, essentially to learn navigation, although I’ve put in some enemy trucks to shoot at once I’m on top of the there and back again. At this point I’m using FC3 and the AC10a.

What I’m finding though, is that in mission the waypoints don’t seem to make much sense. A video told me that the update to the next one automatically once you fly within 500m of them. But I’m not sure they are. I think the first one I reach, resets it to the airfield I took off from. But if I select next waypoint manually, the prompt doesn’t necessarily point where I thought it would.

I’m sure I must be misunderstanding, either the basic controls, or maybe the mission editor somehow. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Or a suggestion for a really good guide on how to set up and fly such a basic training mission?

Thanks

Badger.

It’s been a long time since I’ve been in the A-10A’s pit but I believe that the number of the selected WP is displayed in the data box in the lower right HUD. That should let you know, if you have the correct one selected.

The ADI and HSI should also help to keep you oriented.

There is nothing special about setting up the mission. Just place your a/c on the map, click where you want your WPs in the order you want them, and finish with a landing WP. You can fill in altitudes and air speeds for each of the intervening WPs, if you desire. Jump into the cockpit and fly.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Thank’s Ironhand.  A blast from the past you helping me out here. 🙂 How many years since I asked my first basics question? Who knows. Sadly RL issues have always conspired to make me the perennial newbie and this time I am joyously returning to the sim after a forced absence of a number of years without a pc. So of course, I’ve forgotten EVERYTHING!  Fantastic to be hobnobbing with the master race again though. 🙂  So many titles I want to try out.

Matter in hand though... So are the waypoints supposed to cycle automatically as you pass them, or not.

Badger

They should change automatically. They do in the other FC3 aircraft usually. I oftentimes, however, manually change to the next WP just before I reach it to make the required direction change smoother. It may not matter that much in the A-10 but, when flying at M1+, it helps to start a bit early.

EDIT: It's not anything I've checked but I wonder if you need to be within a certain range as far as altitude goes as well.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Thank’s again for your help sir. 🙂

I’ve worked out what the problem was and although I don’t really see the why of it, I’m happy to be reliably making circuits and landing safely. Perhaps this time around I’ll manage to graduate to the A10C, which has been waiting patiently in my hanger these many years. 🙂

The waypoint was not automatically reverting to the takeoff waypoint on reaching wp1 (wp2?) as I thought. Looking more carefully, I realised it never switched up at all after takeoff. Consequently, neither the HUD or the steam dials, seemed to be making sense.  If I manually select “next wp” after takeoff though, after that the switch from wp to wp is automatic. 

As far as the distance goes... I saw a video at one point saying that you had to be within 500m of the wp, which seems pretty generous. But I didn’t really experiment.

Interestingly, when I was ready to press “1” again to switch nav mode for ILS landing. The system completely skipped that wp and switched instead to the first one after takeoff, as though I was going to go straight into a second circuit without landing.

PS: I just watched your last tour at FlankerTraining by the way. (Late to the party I know.) Brought back good memories of the original “Lock On”tour you did. 🙂 

Badger

It's curious that it didn't switch after takeoff. I just made a quick test flight and everything worked perfectly, switching automatically through each WP. When I reached the last WP, it automatically switched to the IAF for the landing. At the IAF, the WP switched automatically to the runway (WP marker on the HUD fixed on the runway). After that, I hit the "1" key for the Landing Mode HUD/ILS and landed.

If you don't mind, why don't you upload your mission. I'd like to take a look at it.

And, thank you. That last "tour" was fun to make. I started the 2nd, northern, half of it but never completed it. Maybe after the new clouds come out, I'll give it another try.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Just flew your mission and all went as it should. Some of your confusion might stem from the fact that you placed your 1st WP just about on top of the IAF. So when you hit your last WP, it switched automatically to the IAF. Unfortunately that was almost the same place that you designated as your first WP after takeoff. So you probably thought that it had cycled back to the first Wp instead.

Anyway, I jumped into the mission. Turned on electrical power and hit the "1" key to select Nav mode. Started the engines and taxied to the runway. Since your start position in designated as WP1 in the cockpit, the first WP you placed in the ME is displayed on the HUD as "2". Took off. Flew through "2" and "3" was selected and so it went for the rest of the flight. At the last WP, I was automatically switched to the IAF and I landed shortly after.

_____