Question on Jsow's

dburne

Finishing up on trying to learn the various bombs with the Jsows. The Jdams I have down ok but am struggling a little with the Jsows and TOO mode.

I am using the Mission Qualification mission as that is the only one I see that utilize the Jsow.

First - Chuck's guide references the 154A, and this mission uses 154C. I assume the set up and deployment of both is the same?

Secondly - I can not get close enough it seems to launch the Jsow bombs in this mission. In this mission I get nailed every time long before I get an in range cue.  I thought it was more of a stand off weapon to allow firing outside of the enemy range? 

Thanks for any assistance, I feel I am getting close to being able to start a campaign and I have the Rising Squall Campaign for the Persian Gulf and thought that might be a good first campaign for me. The first mission I have those Jsow 154C loaded so I need to get my arms wrapped around using them.

Thanks for any guidance!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well I was able to get higher - over 30k ft, and launch sooner, but this mission the Jsow's are getting shot down as well as I am getting shot down.

I think this mission must be an impossible one for Jsows.

Maybe I will go ahead and start the campaign and see how I get along.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

5 hours ago, dburne said:

Well I was able to get higher - over 30k ft, and launch sooner, but this mission the Jsow's are getting shot down as well as I am getting shot down.

I think this mission must be an impossible one for Jsows.

Maybe I will go ahead and start the campaign and see how I get along.

What SAM system is shooting down the JSOWs?

3 minutes ago, Drac said:

What SAM system is shooting down the JSOWs?

Lol beats me ! If I try it again and will see if I can figure it out.

Don B

You are able to determine your max standoff range using the AMPCD to help determine if you are too close by the Predictive Max Range.  As mentioned you need to climb max altitude and try a high speed approach for launch, launch range up to 15 nm at low altitude and 60 nm at high altitude.

Edited by fitness88

This mission is crazy. There were already some topics about it. There's no problem about the range. Real problem are SA-10s, which are sending 2-4 missiles against every of your JSOW, and there is of course some special pack prepared for you, if you are not careful. Generally, none of bombs reaches the target. You can try with hiding over the terrain and surprise the SAMs, however you are at low altitude then and dramatically loose the range of JSOWs. I gave up with this mission after a day or training.

Edited by Padre Pio

3 hours ago, Padre Pio said:

This mission is crazy. There were already some topics about it. There's no problem about the range. Real problem are SA-10s, which are sending 2-4 missiles against every of your JSOW, and there is of course some special pack prepared for you, if you are not careful. Generally, none of bombs reaches the target. You can try with hiding over the terrain and surprise the SAMs, however you are at low altitude then and dramatically loose the range of JSOWs. I gave up with this mission after a day or training.

Thanks for the feedback sounds like it was not just me then.

Think I will move on from this one. Going to go ahead and start a campaign now at this point and do on the job training lol.

• Like 1

Don B

On 2/9/2021 at 2:53 AM, Padre Pio said:

Not sure the location of the SAM (assuming SA-10) site, but if it is on a mountain top, go in with rockets.  I fly along side of the mountain the SAM is on and popup at the last minute to target the radars.  Once the radars are down, I am free to go higher if need be.

54 minutes ago, Drac said:

Not sure the location of the SAM (assuming SA-10) site, but if it is on a mountain top, go in with rockets.  I fly along side of the mountain the SAM is on and popup at the last minute to target the radars.  Once the radars are down, I am free to go higher if need be.

I am not sure if you mean attacking with additional HARMs or something simmiliar. Yes, It could be right and probably succesful, we always can perform some rearming before each mission. However, I always try to describe and rate the mission as it is, as someone designed it. Especially, if it is an original mission from DCS. What's more - the training (or qualification mission) mission which should be IMO not much complicated and just learning, how to use JSOWs, nothing really more. 

Generally, most of the original missions need some maintenence and refreshing, according to new patches and updates. Some weapons are not mentioned at all according to training, nor in the user's manual. Without many YT-movies from clever people, I would be blind till today, using most of DCS equipment.

Edited by Padre Pio

Yeah the way that qualification mission is set up defeats the purpose of the mission.

This is the only one so far I have run across like that.

I have since moved on to campaign flying now - finally! I was just using those missions as part of my learning the Hornet.

Now I have taken it to on the job training lol.

• Like 1

Don B

19 hours ago, dburne said:

Yeah the way that qualification mission is set up defeats the purpose of the mission.

This is the only one so far I have run across like that.

I have since moved on to campaign flying now - finally! I was just using those missions as part of my learning the Hornet.

Now I have taken it to on the job training lol.

Download 'Oil in the Water'. I am having a blast w/ it. I had to 'cheat' some on the night mission where we are supposed to take out 'armed power boats' w/ Mav E and a pod. I rearmed to MavFs and ditched the pod. The starts are hot but then you get to learn how to go to the cat and follow the man's instructions to get launched. Really fun!

i have not tried the mission. as someone else suggested air defenses would be engaged using an appropriate weapon. however, one can setup mark points for the trajectory of JSOW. this way multiple weapons can be launched and each could come in at a different angle. one may get through to the missile site. 

JSOW Tutorial from Mudspike

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

4 hours ago, CBStu said:

Download 'Oil in the Water'. I am having a blast w/ it. I had to 'cheat' some on the night mission where we are supposed to take out 'armed power boats' w/ Mav E and a pod. I rearmed to MavFs and ditched the pod. The starts are hot but then you get to learn how to go to the cat and follow the man's instructions to get launched. Really fun!

I will check it out thanks.

Don B