Problem with Zone V mission 2 campaign

bonesvf103

I flew the first engagement against Gator from the Zone V campaign.  I did one short burst of the gun and i was empty!  Afterwards i opened the mission in the editor.  It does say the gun is loaded 100%.  So i restart the mission.  This time i look right at the gun rounds counter and it says 0!  I also looked at the HUD and it says 0.

I called ground crew for rearm.  The aircraft is clean except stations 3,4,5,6 are Xd out.  The gun says 100%.

To further test, I take off.  Master arm on, AA mode selected, pull trigger... Nothing.  The bird is completely empty.

How weird is that?  Especially since it says 100% in the mission file and on rearm, and the first time i flew it it shot off like 50 rounds and then was empty and now this time it didn't have any at all

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

During cold start as a pilot you set the round counter to 670. Also you still have to select gun in weapon selector.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

OK for the round counter.

But I did select gun on the weapons selector (left that detail out).  I had AA mode on, "G" was in the HUD, master arm was on (cover and switch).  TRhe first time I flew trigger opull spit out around 50 rounds then was empty.  The second time I flew the mission the gun was just plain empty right off the bat, no rounds fired.

Could it be if the counter is set to 0 that the gun won't fire?

Then again, it wouldn't explain why it fired that short burst the first time I flew the mission.

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

Just tested Event02, quick cold start, take off, AA, Master Arm On, gun selected, fired without problems, even when the counter was not set.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I just did the same.  Still no gun both with counter set and not.

Of note also was that if I hit backspace the stick would not disappear.

I went into the controls and hit the backspace key AND the spacer bar and both highlighted the hide stick and gun trigger respectiovely.

I then went into the Caucuses quick start dogfight mission and pulled the tigger and the gun happily fired.

I wonder if my mission file is corrupt?

v6,

boNes

Well I did a file validation and found 5 files that needed to be redone loaded.  However, he mission still had that problem.

Guess I’ll just try restarting the campaign and see what happens.

v6,

boNes

23 hours ago, bonesvf103 said:

I just did the same.  Still no gun both with counter set and not.

Of note also was that if I hit backspace the stick would not disappear.

I went into the controls and hit the backspace key AND the spacer bar and both highlighted the hide stick and gun trigger respectiovely.

I then went into the Caucuses quick start dogfight mission and pulled the tigger and the gun happily fired.

I wonder if my mission file is corrupt?

v6,

boNes

I get the backstick problem also. You have to disable on the ground. Not sure when it is too late, but I disable before I start up. I cannot disable the stick in the air in this particular campaign. I do not have this issue in any other campaign.

I only have the joystick backspace problem in this campaign mission (so far).  All other missions--quickstart, regular, etc--it works fine.

v6,

boNes

So I revalidated the files and tried again.  The gun again would not fire.  Which was disappointing because I had him dead bang lots of times.  

so since I couldn’t kill him, I just hit the option to knock it off then to end themssion.  It prompted me to do so so I did before even returning to land.

the campaign status showed that my hop was successful....100% campaign mission success.  Odd.  

so when you fire the gun in this mission, does it actually fire rounds, or does it keep track of the hit based on your piper being on him when you pull the trigger, like a simulated kill?  Because I don’t know how else they would deem it a successful hop.

another thing I thought...my trigger to fire the gun is key bound to the space bar—which is what the mission uses to reply to radio calls. Could it be that this is overriding my trigger pull to fire the gun and that”s why it never fires?  It’s basically making a radio call whenever I pull the gun trigger?  Although I waited until we actually called fight’s on before using it to fire guns so I dunno.

v6,

boNes

13 minutes ago, bonesvf103 said:

so when you fire the gun in this mission, does it actually fire rounds, or does it keep track of the hit based on your piper being on him when you pull the trigger, like a simulated kill?

No, I wish it was like that 🙂 The gun should fire and you have to "kill" the enemy. He'll be back fine, no worry, and mission success is by design, as is IRL when flying training, you don't go again on the same sortie, to finally pass - that was explained by Reflected.

By all means, try to rebind the trigger to another key/button than Space.

So isn't the default keybind for the gun trigger the spacer bar?  IT seems odd that the mission would be written with the space bar being the radio response key knowing that the spacebar is the default so that everyone playing has to remap their keys...?

Or am I not recalling properly?

v6,

boNes

I also had the gun trigger bound to the spacebar (seems to be default), but I had no problems ever to fire the gun. I only noticed the spacebar trigger mapping during the fence in checklist. 🙂 I merely unbound the key. 

One thing you could maybe try is to ask the crew chief to rearm on the ground at Nellis after mission start and see if you have ammo loaded. 🤷‍♂️

Yes I already tried having therm reload me on the ground and it still didn't work.  I even checked the mission in the editor and it showed that you are full 100% of ammo.

Seems odd that since the gun trigger by default is the spacebar that the mission writers would have the radio calls bound to it too.

v6,

boNes

The space bar activating triggers is kind of a standard in DCS, mostly because training missions have always used it to jump to the next step. I think it comes from the expectations that you'll use a joystick to fire, rather than a keyboard. Why it's also the default keybind for firing a gun is definitely odd though, and probably due to outdated spaghetti code dating back to the Flanker/LOMAC days.