M12: how do you survive the 4 su27's in formation with you ?

I don't understand how you are supposed to survive after the guy tells you: "sorry man we didn't want to do this either" "go to hell !" and you are instructed to survive. If I try to turn around to the east, I simply always get hit by their missiles (they have excellent AI ?). If I try to engage the 4 planes, one of them is bound to hit me with it's HOBS r73.

At this point it seems literally impossible to survive, the su27's are just too good.

Edited by notproplayer3

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

5 hours ago, Bravelink03 said:

So, for that , I tried this, Used my Aim-9Xs to take the  on the side and used my first Aim-120 on the guy in the front to try to limit the guys im having to fight, then its just a 1v1 vs a Su-27

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for you response, I was using similar strategies when fighting those su27's but still no luck. The su27's just shoot too fast and their r73 are just too good and flaring doesn't help at all. 

Did you also have problems with the r73's always hitting you or that fight seeming very hard? Perhaps I am a very bad pilot but I feel as if the AI is really too good compared to the rest of the missions in this campaign.

Edit: tried 8 more times, I found it literally impossible for me to kill the four.

Second edit: I quit the mission to see if relaunching it will fix the problem but it put me back to mission 11, this is going to leave a bad after taste...

Third edit: fuck, I quit mission 11 and now I'm in mission 10, what is wrong with campaigns ? Is it rising squall or DCS ? Can I change a file to put myself back at mission 12 ?

Edited by notproplayer3

In my case (after some deads ) this is how I managed to kill the 4 flankers : 

When they turn to right, I speedbrake, and when the third one is passing above me I shoot two amraams to the ones forward, then inmediately launch an Aim9x to the one at the right with the helmet and last another to the one who pass above me.

Is hard to get the right timming but the R-73 are too deadly to allow them to fire

• Like 1

10 hours ago, notproplayer3 said:

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for you response, I was using similar strategies when fighting those su27's but still no luck. The su27's just shoot too fast and their r73 are just too good and flaring doesn't help at all. 

Did you also have problems with the r73's always hitting you or that fight seeming very hard? Perhaps I am a very bad pilot but I feel as if the AI is really too good compared to the rest of the missions in this campaign.

Edit: tried 8 more times, I found it literally impossible for me to kill the four.

Second edit: I quit the mission to see if relaunching it will fix the problem but it put me back to mission 11, this is going to leave a bad after taste...

Third edit: fuck, I quit mission 11 and now I'm in mission 10, what is wrong with campaigns ? Is it rising squall or DCS ? Can I change a file to put myself back at mission 12 ?

This is a DCS issue, DO NOT QUIT the mission within 10 seconds after starting, or progression will go backwards.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, S-GERAT said:

In my case (after some deads ) this is how I managed to kill the 4 flankers : 

When they turn to right, I speedbrake, and when the third one is passing above me I shoot two amraams to the ones forward, then inmediately launch an Aim9x to the one at the right with the helmet and last another to the one who pass above me.

Is hard to get the right timming but the R-73 are too deadly to allow them to fire

Thanks for the technique, I'll try that too! 

4 hours ago, FrankMT said:

This is a DCS issue, DO NOT QUIT the mission within 10 seconds after starting, or progression will go backwards.

Interesting, thanks for the info ! Will keep that in mind. 

In any case I managed to get back to mission 12 by modifying the loogbook Lua file so all is fine. 

Edited by notproplayer3

There are several different approaches to the M12, and the authors on some video websites have demonstrated many different approaches, including direct and fast engagement, vertical dive attempt at different times, and the use of loopholes in AI response to complete the task. They have their own success or failure...... And......there are also some special hiding methods that you can try to explore. 😜

In any case, once you hold on until the friendly plane arrive, it will help you attract a large part of the enemy's attention. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JG54_NF2 said:

There are several different approaches to the M12, and the authors on some video websites have demonstrated many different approaches, including direct and fast engagement, vertical dive attempt at different times, and the use of loopholes in AI response to complete the task. They have their own success or failure...... And......there are also some special hiding methods that you can try to explore. 😜

In any case, once you hold on until the friendly plane arrive, it will help you attract a large part of the enemy's attention. 

Thanks for the reply, do you mind giving me the link of a video playthrough of mission 12 ? I haven't found any on youtube yet.

On 2/8/2021 at 12:01 PM, JG54_NF2 said:

And......there are also some special hiding methods that you can try to explore. 😜

I'm intrigued! Pease tell more, via pm if you prefer to avoid spoilers.

I've treated the mission as a video game Boss-fight and gradually found a way to beat them. Slow down and pull to the left to let the front pair become easy prey to your 2 aim9x. Then cannon kill one of the behind pair that is passing you by by that time. Now its one on one vs the remaining Su-27 and he has a free shot with his missiles. You have loads of altitude, engines idle and cool, lots of flares - his R-73 has no chance. Spiral to the ground and get into his pocket for an easy kill. 

Awesome idea of a boss fight, a memorable mission for sure! Yet another highlight of the "Ace Combat in realistic DCS" magic.

• Like 1

@Katmandu @JG54_NF2Thank you both very much and sorry for not responding sooner, I just played this last mission again and this time for some reason it went much smoother than the last attempts.

The slowing down is the technique that I used. 

A few words to conclude. Awesome campaign and story, very original for DCS ! Definitely gonna tune in for the next part. 

Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond, your answers were all useful. 

• Like 1

2021/2/14 AM4点54分,notproplayer3说:

@Katmandu @JG54_NF2Thank you both very much and sorry for not responding sooner, I just played this last mission again and this time for some reason it went much smoother than the last attempts.

The slowing down is the technique that I used. 

A few words to conclude. Awesome campaign and story, very original for DCS ! Definitely gonna tune in for the next part. 

Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond, your answers were all useful. 

In the latest ob update, I slightly adjusted the AI behavior of the enemy aircraft in the M12. They will have a more logical response. You can try or challenge again.😜

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 7:20 PM, JG54_NF2 said:

In the latest ob update, I slightly adjusted the AI behavior of the enemy aircraft in the M12. They will have a more logical response. You can try or challenge again.😜

Can you change it back?  All AI flankers are attacking immediately, before they switch from friendly to hostile and before the cutscene is even over.  Mission 12 is now bugged and unplayable

Edited by Pixy67

1 hour ago, Pixy67 said:

Can you change it back?  All AI flankers are attacking immediately, before they switch from friendly to hostile and before the cutscene is even over.  Mission 12 is now bugged and unplayable

Looking into it right now.

8小时前,Pixy67说:

Hi I find this BUG.

They will fix it soon. One of the flags is wrong.

Edited by JG54_NF2

• 3 months later...

So I managed to complete this mission and therefore the campaign.

Spoiler

After what felt like 30 failures, I finally managed to play a cat and mouse game with the flankers.  I slowed down and let the third jet pass over my canopy just as they called me hostile.  They were gradually heading West.  I managed to let a 9X fly as I dumped stores and performed a split-S in an easterly direction.

I think the key here is to let the formation start turning westerly and catch them by surprise.  The technique isn't perfect (I ate a few R-73's before completing).  Be ready with flares.

I thought I was in the clear once I got away from the Flankers and was in for a nasty surprise when I bought it from another inbound R-73 fired by one of the fast intercept jets.  😜

In the end, the escape was exciting and I was extremely tense the entire escape.  Pretty cool, team INVERTED!

I am glad I purchased the campaign!  Thanks.

Edited by Mistermann

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod