Clarification reg. datalink targets

Fred00

Yes, the comm switch filter is the method mentioned in the 3-3. There are also steps prior to that for narrowing azimuth and elevation scan to break out your assigned group.

And thanks for providing some context -- I've not tried in DCS to turn my datalink filter back off after targeting. Does it break lock or just re-popupate the other contacts? Will have to try it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

38 minutes ago, TheBigTatanka said:

Yes, the comm switch filter is the method mentioned in the 3-3. There are also steps prior to that for narrowing azimuth and elevation scan to break out your assigned group.

And thanks for providing some context -- I've not tried in DCS to turn my datalink filter back off after targeting. Does it break lock or just re-popupate the other contacts? Will have to try it.

As it is a datalink filter it will not effect your radar. Forgot to mention, but in DCS there really isn't much clutter at all from datalink as our datalink is way to precise currently. IRL it's not as precise and will in some cases cause you to see many targets where there in reality is only a single target. So, IRL this is very useful. In dcs, not so much.

8 hours ago, Frederf said:

Ah I know comm switch in/out for Link11 but not for Link16. Figures it would do the same thing. My next question was if there is a hands-on control for it.

Technically you could go into your HSD options and toggle off things like AWACS, but that really isn't an ideal way to do it at all. Just use the COMM switch.