Buddy lasing is not working

Raviar

As the title says seems the buddy lasing only works if the the bomber and lasing buddy point with a few feet differences, In the tacview the tank is the reference point not a target.

Lasing aircraft flew on angels 16 and bomber released at about angles 22, the GBU didnt detect the laser

server-20210207-002712.trk

F-18_Buddylase-20210207-012853.trk Tacview-20210207-002717-DCS-F-18 Buddylase.zip.acmi

buddylase.jpg

Edited by mani.zaeim

• Raviar changed the title to Buddy lasing is not working

Hello all,
As Razor18 already wrote that you should really double check that all parties have the correct laser code.

And secondly, the laser must not be more than 8nm away from the target. Unfortunately we have a somewhat unrealistic implementation in DCS.
We just tested this on the weekend with 1x A-10C II as marker and 2x F-18 as shooter.
We tested if the angle has an influence e.g. Pointer comes from north shooter from south. We repeated this in 90 degree steps whereby only the shooter moved in the bearing and the laser always came from the same direction. We quickly found out that it makes no difference if the pointer is masked, the target is illuminated in the opposite direction or if you fly in trail to the target.

Then we tested Distance, Pointer Orbiting at the target with increasing distance at pretty much exactly 8nm the GBU only tighten the point of the laser at 8nm. This could also be observed quite well in Tacview as the GBU flew behind the laser.

It was also not possible to connect with LST/LSS. Only when the Hog came to the 8nm or below it worked.

I have unfortunately just no possibility to look at the .trks to see if one of the errors took place at all therefore just thrown into the room. ;)

Gesendet von meinem SM-G975F mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

I do confirm, we were a flight of two hornet, laser code checked before every single attack at least double times, it was a success IF the designated point by laser and Auto(CCRP) had a difference about 300 to 500 feet, but we tested again two hornets in the close formation (not in this tacview) and it failed again, seems the GBU cant track if the designated point and calculated point has distance more than 1000feet . we tested with opposite bearing as well ( i dont have a technical knowledge about laser beam and limitations, it was just a test, I am, not sure even that would be possible in real world) and it failed as well. it used to work in DCS back to early 2019, however currently with more than 1000 feet differentiation the GBU would not find laser

Edited by mani.zaeim

If I understand correctly, you're saying the LGB won't hit if it's aimed >1000 ft from the point where the laser is lasing?  That sounds like it's behaving correctly to me.  As I understand it, the bomb is actually tracking on the scatter from the laser impact on the target, not the laser itself, and the tracker head likely has a reasonably small field of view, so it's totally understandable the bomb needs to be aimed relatively close to the lased target for it to track.  If it used to track farther out, then that sounds like a bug that got fixed.

The angle of the lasing shouldn't matter as long as line of sight is maintained (i.e. the laser could be coming from in front, behind or to either side of the launching aircraft so long as the laser can see the target and the bomb can see the point of laser impact).

Edited by rob10

Thanks rob10, good point to mentioned about the bug which existed and got fixed, I am not sure about the real world and limitation as I mentioned ( i dont have those knowledge at any level), I was suspicious that it might be a bug or i might be wrong and basically it behave as it should be. then buddy lasing would be extremely difficult in tense environment without prebrief targets or moving vehicles