How to assign TDC slew axes?

Sorry if this is covered somewhere but I couldn't find it.

How do I assign the TDC slew axes to the mini mouse on my throttle (CH Pro Throttle)?  I'm on the controls page, the throttle is recognized, other throttle functions can be assigned and work normally, I'm on the Throttle Designator Controller - Horizontal/Vertical Axis line, I double click on the box in the throttle column and physically move the mini mouse, but no assignment is made.  I've also tried clicking the Assign Axis button at the bottom, and right clicking the box to bring up the Assign Combo options, neither of which does anything.

The mini mouse works just fine for the A-10C slew control using the same throttle.

Make sure you are on F-18(Sim). First step hit the "Axis Assign" button on the bottom row of buttons and then on that screen go to the spot to assign the "Throttle Designator Controller - Horizontal" and "Throttle Designator Controller - Vertical" and assign the TDC slew there. (I double left click to bring up the actual assignment screen). If this is what you did then I apologize for repeating something you know. All the best.

Good luck and happy flying.

You can also assign them as non-axis binds.  Choose "Throttle Grip" under the sub-menu and you'll see them there.  Don't remember the exact labels but they aren't called TDC.  I think it's "Throttle Designator" but don't have it open at the moment.

Yes, I saw that option but that would mean you only have up/down/left/right and no diagonal movement, so slewing would be choppy and not realistic.  

There has to be some way to do it for the F-18 because it works fine for the A-10, and there are several youtube videos of people using the mini joy to slew the TDC around.

Any CH throttle users out there who can help?

Full CH user here (fighterstick, pro throttle, pro pedals) Are you using the CH Control Manager to load any profiles, or just using the device directly?

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

oh never mind I thought I was replying to this thread cross post. 

Edited by xnomad

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-9700KF @ 3.60GHz, 32GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2070 Super 1800MHz, Occulus Rift S, CH Pro Pedals, CH Pro Throttle, Virpil MongoosT-50 CM2, Virpil VPC WarBRD Base.

12 hours ago, Tholozor said:

Full CH user here (fighterstick, pro throttle, pro pedals) Are you using the CH Control Manager to load any profiles, or just using the device directly?

I'm also a full CH user and not using Control Manager.  Simply using all the devices directly and assigning/adjusting through the DCS control page.  The mini joystick is automatically recognized and works perfectly with the A-10, but it is not recognized for the F-18 and the F-18 control options won't let me assign it.

It's probably some little thing I'm missing, but I can't find it and so far nobody has been able to explain it.  There are other posts related to the TDC slew not working properly though, so maybe ED just hasn't implemented it.  Seems strange that they would still fail to fix such an important item this far along in the module.  I was going to purchase it, but not if basic functionality still doesn't work.

32 minutes ago, dporter22 said:

I'm also a full CH user and not using Control Manager.  Simply using all the devices directly and assigning/adjusting through the DCS control page.  The mini joystick is automatically recognized and works perfectly with the A-10, but it is not recognized for the F-18 and the F-18 control options won't let me assign it.

It's probably some little thing I'm missing, but I can't find it and so far nobody has been able to explain it.  There are other posts related to the TDC slew not working properly though, so maybe ED just hasn't implemented it.  Seems strange that they would still fail to fix such an important item this far along in the module.  I was going to purchase it, but not if basic functionality still doesn't work.

The Axis binding process is same for all modules:

1) Have a proper module selected from top left corner.

2) Click at bottom the "Axis Assign"

3) Double click the wanted function in a proper device column (or click it once and then click "Add".

4) Move the wanted controller axis in full axis range.

IF it doesn't work, check if any other axis gets recognized by moving them. At least something should appear there. If so happens, then just Reset/Cancel and try again the wanted axis.

You can as well select the wanted axis from the dropbox in the Assign window if you can't move it. But challenge is that you need to know that what axis you want to add there. You can see the axis name in the A-10C module (top left corner) and see in the list of axis commands that when you move the axis that the small white bars will move.

Take a note what axis names those are and then just select them. You should then have the axis bars again moving after that.

Made a quick video about the process first getting the CH Pro Throttle from the closet.

So here is the full process to bind the TDC axis to the Hornet from empty state:

Edit: here is a new video with both process, double clicking and moving axis. Or just "add" and selecting it manually. You can mix both methods as you please.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Odd.  Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals user here and I had no problem assigning the throttle mini stick to TDC slew control.  It works as expected.

The weird thing is how it works for you with one module but not another.  A couple of ideas that might help isolate the problem:

• use CH Manager to test the throttle X/Y axes to make sure they're working as expected.  I'm guessing this is the case since it works with the A-10, but doesn't hurt to check.
  • temporarily move the diff.lua files out of the way to make sure there's nothing in there causing issues.  My Hornet control config files can be found here: C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\FA-18C_hornet\joystick.  Yours should be in a similar location.  Don't delete them, just move them someplace safe.

Good luck and I hope you get things sorted.

Edited by Smashy

48 minutes ago, dporter22 said:

Thanks Fri13, that's what I've been doing but unfortunately it doesn't work.  I've tried many times, reset the controls, cleared the axes, etc.

Hi. Be aware, there are two places to bind the TDC box in axis setup; one is "normal" and the other one is something like "mouse control", or similar (my game is in spanish, so I can t tell how it looks in your lenguage). 

-  Normal one: "throttle designator control (horizontal/vertical axis)

- Mouse one: "TCD : horiz/vertical) slew (mouse) 

Both "translated directly from my screem"

Hope it helps.

Saludos.

Saca111

1 hour ago, Smashy said:

Odd.  Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals user here and I had no problem assigning the throttle mini stick to TDC slew control.  It works as expected.

The weird thing is how it works for you with one module but not another.  A couple of ideas that might help isolate the problem:

• use CH Manager to test the throttle X/Y axes to make sure they're working as expected.  I'm guessing this is the case since it works with the A-10, but doesn't hurt to check.
  • temporarily move the diff.lua files out of the way to make sure there's nothing in there causing issues.  My Hornet control config files can be found here: C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\FA-18C_hornet\joystick.  Yours should be in a similar location.  Don't delete them, just move them someplace safe.

Good luck and I hope you get things sorted.

X/Y axes working normally.

Moved diff.lua files out, still didn't recognize the mini joystick and still unable to assign it.  No other conflicts.  Still works fine in the A-10.

1 hour ago, Sacarino111 said:

Hi. Be aware, there are two places to bind the TDC box in axis setup; one is "normal" and the other one is something like "mouse control", or similar (my game is in spanish, so I can t tell how it looks in your lenguage). 

Hope it helps.

Saludos.

Saca111

The TDC Slew Hoizontal/Vertical (mouse) is does not allow me to double click it so nothing can be assigned there.

3 hours ago, Sacarino111 said:

Hope it helps.

Saludos.

Saca111

Yeah that one through me off a little when I was trying to assign my CM3 Throttle mini stick to the slew.

I was using the wrong one ( the one with mouse listed).

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

13 hours ago, dporter22 said:

The TDC Slew Hoizontal/Vertical (mouse) is does not allow me to double click it so nothing can be assigned there.

Why those rows are darkened as they are unbindable for anything else than a mouse. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On the page DCS opens to click the gear at the top to go to 'Options'. Click 'Special' across the top and then down the left side click 'FA-18c'. Look for the little box labeled 'Realistic TDC slew' and be sure there is no check mark in the box. If there is, uncheck it. I am not sure if this will help you or not. W/ a Warthog this is meant to be used so the normal procedure of 'push down on the slew button and keep it pushed while you slew' is not needed. It is worth a try.

31 minutes ago, CBStu said:

On the page DCS opens to click the gear at the top to go to 'Options'. Click 'Special' across the top and then down the left side click 'FA-18c'. Look for the little box labeled 'Realistic TDC slew' and be sure there is no check mark in the box. If there is, uncheck it. I am not sure if this will help you or not. W/ a Warthog this is meant to be used so the normal procedure of 'push down on the slew button and keep it pushed while you slew' is not needed. It is worth a try.

Yep, option is unchecked.  (I've tried assigning with the option checked and unchecked, doesn't make a difference.  Still can't assign the mini joystick as TDC Slew.)

• 3 months later...
On 2/15/2021 at 4:52 PM, dporter22 said:

For anyone else with this issue, all you have to do is assign the axis manually instead of physically moving the mini stick.

Very simple but I didn't even think of it until someone else suggested it.

I have the same issue with my T1600M throttle - cannot assign the analogue stick to control cursor movement as you have described.  I don't understand your statement to assign them 'manually'.  The POV buttons are not in the drop down option of buttons to assign so I don't know how to manually set them.

21 hours ago, Trout412 said:

I have the same issue with my T1600M throttle - cannot assign the analogue stick to control cursor movement as you have described.  I don't understand your statement to assign them 'manually'.  The POV buttons are not in the drop down option of buttons to assign so I don't know how to manually set them.

It's not a POV hat, it's the mini stick on the throttle used for slew control.  What I meant was that instead of moving the stick to assign the function, you simply use the drop down options to select Joy X and Joy Y for HOTAS Slew Horizontal and HOTAS Slew Vertical.

• 2 years later...

Hi mate, this issue has raised its ugly for me.  I was initially using the HOTAS UP/Down/LEFT/RIGHT option which is clunky at best.  Wanted to use the proper slew axis option but cannot for the life of me suss it out.  Noticed you had sorted it but followed your posts and tried your final solution but still not working.  When i select JOYX for example it tells me it is assigned to Roll 🙂

Am i being a divvy here mate? Hope you can help! Cheers Ian

11 hours ago, Iggy said:

Hi mate, this issue has raised its ugly for me.  I was initially using the HOTAS UP/Down/LEFT/RIGHT option which is clunky at best.  Wanted to use the proper slew axis option but cannot for the life of me suss it out.  Noticed you had sorted it but followed your posts and tried your final solution but still not working.  When i select JOYX for example it tells me it is assigned to Roll 🙂

Am i being a divvy here mate? Hope you can help! Cheers Ian

Screenshot?