Aigle2

HI ! 

I've been doing some SEAD/DEAD missions with friends in Harriers using sidearms missiles, and we have been surprised to see how low is the precision of the HARM.

I usually get 15-20% destroy rate. My missiles fall next to the radars, between 2 to 20 meters away from them, hitting the targets with the blast, but not killing anything. 

The Harriers' sidearms have a kill probability of around 75% in our missions, which is a huge difference.

Firing on TOO mode usually, a few times in SP.

Can anybody explain me what's wrong or give me a few tips ? Thanks !

Aigle2

Harriers sidearm are the bugged ones, not the HARMS. In general, antiradiation missiles are a denial weapon, it forces enemy forces to turn their radar off, but for destruction you need to use more conventional means, since ARM pk is in general quite poor

Edited by amalahama

this problem has been reported many many times,even with videos,but the forum manager always label the thread with cannot reproduce and missing track file,why does ED think the problem is not exist??

i am alslo trouble with problem,in SEAD mission,i even take MAV instead of HARM.the HARM can only damge and hit the targets in 15 miles,if you fire it at 20 even 30miles,you will just waste a missle.

• Like 1

A-10C Warthog,Flaming Cliffs 3,F-16C VIPER,F/A-18C HORNET,Super Carrier,AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL,Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight,Black Shark 2,SA342 Gazelle,UH-1H Huey,Persian Gulf Map,Combined Arms

Intel i7-14700KF| Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 2070 AD Special OC GDDR6 8G | Acer PREDATOR 32g DDR5 6000MHZ | MSI PRO Z790A-MAX | Kingston KC3000 1T SSD M.2 | ST 12T HDD 7200RPM | AOC 2790PQU 27'' 4K |Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog PC

Well the OP never gave any good information regarding the conditions in which the missile was fired. What altitude was the missile fired from? How fast? How far away was the target? Did the target have anti-missile capability? This is why a track is needed to diagnose the problem. If he's in Multiplayer, are there scripts that are being used to turn radars off when engaged with anti-radiation missiles? We need more info.

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

1 hour ago, Tholozor said:

Well the OP never gave any good information regarding the conditions in which the missile was fired. What altitude was the missile fired from? How fast? How far away was the target? Did the target have anti-missile capability? This is why a track is needed to diagnose the problem. If he's in Multiplayer, are there scripts that are being used to turn radars off when engaged with anti-radiation missiles? We need more info.

500 Knots, 20 nautical miles, angel 5. I didn't record tacview at this mission, will do in the future

To reliably get hits you need to launch at much higher altitude. My rule of thumb is 25nm at 25,000ft, 20nm @ 20,000ft, 15nm @ 15,000ft etc. In TOO mode this equates to the TD box being 9 degrees below the horizon.

Don't expect a hard kill - ARMs are designed specifically to go off near not on the target and to essentially shotgun spatter the antenna dish with shrapnel. DCS does replicate this to some extent - it is possible to damage a unit sufficiently that it is no longer combat effective and this happens with radar units also; many times I have removed a SAM sites ability to employ its radar without outright blowing up the vehicle entire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DD_Fenrir said:

To reliably get hits you need to launch at much higher altitude. My rule of thumb is 25nm at 25,000ft, 20nm @ 20,000ft, 15nm @ 15,000ft etc. In TOO mode this equates to the TD box being 9 degrees below the horizon.

Don't expect a hard kill - ARMs are designed specifically to go off near not on the target and to essentially shotgun spatter the antenna dish with shrapnel. DCS does replicate this to some extent - it is possible to damage a unit sufficiently that it is no longer combat effective and this happens with radar units also; many times I have removed a SAM sites ability to employ its radar without outright blowing up the vehicle entire.

Yeah I have noticed that as well in my learning process with the Harm 88C.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|