Computer Upgrade

Hi all, I'm looking for some help. Im in the process of building a new computer. I bought ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-A GAMING LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel MotherboardIntel Core i7-10700K Comet Lake 8-Core 3.8 GHz LGA 1200 125W CM8070104282436 Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630, and the G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model .... I'm currently running Windows 8. The Tech who is building new computer told me I have to upgrade to Windows 10. Will DCS run still if I install Windows 10? I so worried I'm going to lose everything!! I currently own most of the planes and helicopters and my worry is DCS will not work with a fresh install of Windows 10! I've been running DCS with Windows 8!! I have invested allot of money into DCS and I don't want to lose all my progress! Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm currently using Windows 8. 

Thank you,

Timex2

Edited by Greg504221

11 minutes ago, Greg504221 said:

I have invested allot of money into DCS and I don't want to lose all my progress!

Then you owe it to yourself to have a proper backup of your DCS. You need at the very minimum have recorded somewhere (not on the PC) your ED user account and password (or the Steam ones if you use that version of DCS). Once you have that safely recorded, you should make a backup of the entire /Saved Games/DCS/ folder, so that you have a copy of your configuration, Logbooks, missions, user liveries, templates, etc.

Regarding your other question, DCS works just fine on Windows 10. While the technician should be able to upgrade your current Windows 8, so that all your existing softwares are preserved, you could get a better performing Windows by re-installing from scratch .. if you go that route, purchase a new SSD drive to install onto, and keep your current disk as backup.

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hi Rudel and thank you for your post!! I'm having a SSD drive installed today! The Tech told me everything should work according to him!! He told me that Intel to intel should work without any issues! He told me he is not deleting anything so everything should be there I hope!! Like I said earlier I'm still very worried about losing almost 6 years of DCS!! So, I'll keep my fingers crossed!! Thanks again  for your help and have a great day!!

Timex2.

22 minutes ago, Monkwolf said:

I would recommend upgrading to Win 10. DCS runs fine on it. You should be able to back up your <User>\Saved Games\DCS folder to preserve your progress and profiles and such.

Yes, that's what the Tech told me!! I just hope and pray everything should work according to the Tech who is building my new machine!!

7 minutes ago, Greg504221 said:

The Tech told me everything should work according to him!!

Please .. I have worked on IT for 30 years ... shit happens, DO A BACKUP before passing your current PC to the technician, trust me on this: NEVER EVER be without a backup of at least those files that are irreplaceable: personal photos, documents, passwords, etc.

Edit: And many technicians love to peruse on the users files ... so delete any personal XXX photos and banking information, before givving the machine to a strange person.

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Just now, Rudel_chw said:

Please .. I have worked on IT for 30 years ... shit happens, DO A BACKUP before passing your current PC to the technician, trust me on this: NEVER EVER be without a backup of at least those files that are irreplaceable: personal photos, documents, passwords, etc.

The Tech advised me he is NOT deleting anything from my computer! He is installing ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-A GAMING LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel MotherboardIntel Core i7-10700K Comet Lake 8-Core 3.8 GHz LGA 1200 125W CM8070104282436 Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630, and the G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model and Windows 10. He told me I should lose anything!! We will have to wait and see!!

5 minutes ago, Greg504221 said:

The Tech advised me he is NOT deleting anything from my computer! 

And that covers events like a burglar robbing his Shop? or a fire? or a power failure frying the hard drive controller? or a traffic accident while the PC is being transported? or a ransomware infection? ... it may seem far fetched, but like I said, shit happens ... and more often than one imagines. Don't risk it. 👍

2 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

And that covers events like a burglar robbing his Shop? or a fire? or a power failure frying the hard drive controller? or a traffic accident while the PC is being transported? or a ransomware infection? ... it may seem far fetched, but like I said, shit happens ... and more often than one imagines. Don't risk it. 👍

I'm going bye the advice of the Tech! I trust him, he has worked on my computer a number of times, he's brilliant!! 

Good luck ! I would never give a computer to any tech without deleting all personal info.

And a back up is an absolut must. Shit happens and mostly if you don`t expect it.

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet