Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Su-25A issues...

So I have recently decided to use the Rook A for a month online to get to know it.  And well I have run into some issues.   

1- the HUD glass does not slide up and down?  I have tried the default keys and remapping them.  The ASP glass elevate and lower does not work.  It just slides it up a few millimeters at best and down a few.  

2- the compass is WAY off... Something like 20-25deg, is this true magnetic?  

3- Navigation system is a bit of vacuum tube wizardry that I have no clue how that works... No matter how many times I watch tutorials on it.

So any advice on what I could be doing wrong if others can confirm the issues I have run into that would be great, thank you.

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

Only one I can really answer for sure. No idea when it changed, but the Su-25 and 25T now require a ~3 minute alignment period after engine start; Otherwise the compass is off by some ridiculous amount.

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

3- Navigation system is a bit of vacuum tube wizardry that I have no clue how that works... No matter how many times I watch tutorials on it.

Not sure how relevant this is, but I think the Su-25A's nav system only allows for 3 waypoints. There are 4 navigation modes: 'Nav', 'Return', 'Landing' and 'None'. Pressing '1' will cycle these modes, while pressing the 'next waypoint' key will increment the waypoints, or (if you are in return mode) it will cycle the different airfields. At least, that's how it works in the Su-27.

PS: If you're getting into the Su-25A, just a word of warning. CCRP mode is (and has been for a while) a little hit and miss. Sometimes the aircraft will enter CCRP mode on trigger hold, sometimes it will just instantly drop your ordinance. Best to just stick with CCIP and be sure it'll work as intended.

Edited by Cheetah7798
Additional Info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hodo said:

1- the HUD glass does not slide up and down?  I have tried the default keys and remapping them.  The ASP glass elevate and lower does not work.  It just slides it up a few millimeters at best and down a few.  

Have been trying the SU-25A recently with no problems such as this. I am sure you have tried this but it takes repeated separate presses rather than continuous presses of the keys to move the glass. A single press only moves it a few millimetres as you describe.

P.S A big thank you to Ian Christie's YouTube series that got me interested in the SU-25.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5900X, RTX 3080, 32GB Ram, Oculus Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle and Stick.

3 hours ago, Hodo said:

I finally understood the Navigation System of the Su-25A after studying this Tutorial:

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On 2/4/2021 at 9:36 AM, Hodo said:

So I have recently decided to use the Rook A for a month online to get to know it.

The other posts answered all your questions so im going to go off-topic a little bit and throw in some misc tips that i've found:

• The alignment starts from when you turn on the electric power, so always hit that as soon as you spawn.
  • There are keybinds for the mechanical clock that you can use to time the alignment.
  • Setting the waypoint to bullseye allows you to navigate anywhere on the map without using the F10 map.
  • The axis binds for the TDC allow faster movement than the HAT keybinds. Remember that you lose stabilization when moving the crosshair, so this can help you compensate for aircraft movement.
  • The Kh-25s have much more range than the LA says. They'll often hit their targets while going mach 1.
  • Don't underestimate the S-5s, they got a bad rap against infantry in afghanistan but they're quite effective against light armor.
  • The S-8s *CAN* kill MBTs, but it takes ~4 direct hits. If you want to have fun I suggest flying below treetop level and smacking them from 200m away.
  • The S-25OFM decimates buildings. I've never had to use more than 1.
  • Turning on the laser improves the gun/rocket accuracy.
  • The periscope on the top of the canopy is almost as good as a MAWS.
  • You will no longer be able to watch someone drop a GBU on a BTR without thinking 'what a waste.'
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 2/5/2021 at 3:36 PM, IronChancellor said:

The other posts answered all your questions so im going to go off-topic a little bit and throw in some misc tips that i've found:

• The alignment starts from when you turn on the electric power, so always hit that as soon as you spawn.
  • There are keybinds for the mechanical clock that you can use to time the alignment.
  • Setting the waypoint to bullseye allows you to navigate anywhere on the map without using the F10 map.
  • The axis binds for the TDC allow faster movement than the HAT keybinds. Remember that you lose stabilization when moving the crosshair, so this can help you compensate for aircraft movement.
  • The Kh-25s have much more range than the LA says. They'll often hit their targets while going mach 1.
  • Don't underestimate the S-5s, they got a bad rap against infantry in afghanistan but they're quite effective against light armor.
  • The S-8s *CAN* kill MBTs, but it takes ~4 direct hits. If you want to have fun I suggest flying below treetop level and smacking them from 200m away.
  • The S-25OFM decimates buildings. I've never had to use more than 1.
  • Turning on the laser improves the gun/rocket accuracy.
  • The periscope on the top of the canopy is almost as good as a MAWS.
  • You will no longer be able to watch someone drop a GBU on a BTR without thinking 'what a waste.'

The last one I have felt that way for a while.  Flown the Mirage 2000C for a long time.  And found the 82SE and BLG-66 to be my weapon of choice.  

And I have really enjoyed the Rook-A model.  I did some "SEAD" work with it... Talk about hard work.  Try spotting a radar before it locks and fires on you is well fun.  

And the Rook can take a beating.  I have belly landed that aircraft more times than I can count due to hydrolic damage.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2021 at 5:36 PM, Hodo said:

So I have recently decided to use the Rook A for a month online to get to know it.  And well I have run into some issues.   

IIRC the Su-25A had years ago a axis for the gunsight (not a HUD) height adjustment, but it was removed and set as buttons only. On me it does work properly that I can set it up/down with buttons. 

The buttons does not move it between Fully Down <-> Fully Up but in increments. It takes maybe 6-7 presses to go from one end to another. So just keep pushing it to get it up/down. Annoying, but I would take any day back the axis for it. 

I think it should be a True North and not a Magnetic compass. 

You have basically just two buttons to do all, "Previous Waypoint" and "Next Waypoint". You normally go from Take-Off/1st waypoint -> Waypoint 2 -> Waypoint 3 -> Waypoint # and then finally Waypoint -> Approach -> Landing. And then it will skip around back to begin. The last waypoint for the landing works such way that it will automatically first guide you to the approach point at begin of the glide slope, and then it will automatically switch to landing that is at center of the runway. You can skip the approach waypoint but then you are guided directly at the center point of the runway. IIRC the approach point is 15 km from the runway, and if you are not in emergency (damaged etc) it is better to fly first to approach point and then turn to runway, and if you are in emergency and you know the runway heading, you can jump directly to "landing" mode and fly visually closer to the runway skipping the possibly dangerous 15 km circle. 

In reality the navigation has just a few waypoints, starting airfield, the ending airfield and secondary ending airfield. As far I have understood the waypoints are more for a "circuit" or "loitering points" that are used more as a bullseye than navigation. So you go on the area and then from there you get the call as heading and range etc. 

But as it is a FC3 aircraft, you can add as many waypoints you want. As well I don't now remember does it same thing as with the Su-27S or Su-25T that the approach waypoint starts selecting the closest airfields in distance order.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 2/4/2021 at 10:36 AM, Hodo said:

Steam gauge navigation is actually fairly simple. This is a video I made years ago but much of it still applies: 

If you find it helpful, there's one on ILS landings on my YT channel as well.

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.