Strong wind - Nav and ILS questions

Kuna

Hello guys,

Maybe someone could help he understand:

1) strong crosswind; velocity vector uncaged; actual line of flight with big offset from nose. Is the heading marker (on HUD or HSI/SA) linked to nose heading or actual line of flight heading (FPM/VV)?

2) strong crosswind landings on carrier, velocity vector uncaged - should I point ILS to nose or actual line of flight (FPM/VV) ?

For strong crosswind landings what do you prefer ? Hud caged or uncaged ?

Edited by Kuna

1 hour ago, Kuna said:

Hello guys,

Maybe someone could help he understand:

1) strong crosswind; velocity vector uncaged; actual line of flight with big offset from nose. Is the heading marker (on HUD or HSI/SA) linked to nose heading or actual line of flight heading (FPM/VV)?

2) strong crosswind landings on carrier, velocity vector uncaged - should I point ILS to nose or actual line of flight (FPM/VV) ?

For strong crosswind landings what do you prefer ? Hud caged or uncaged ?

1) HSI/SA shows ground track, so should line up with the FPM.  I have not verified that this is working correctly in DCS.

2) ILS needles should be aligned with the FPM, so you are on/on when they cross in the middle of the FPM, wherever on the HUD that is.

As a technique - FPM uncaged until (if) it gets near the edge of the HUD, then cage and use the "true" FPM to assess crosswind effect.  Starting out caged runs the risk of the true FPM being behind (and therefore hidden) by the caged FPM, thus giving you a false impression of crosswind effect if you are using those cues.  

Edited by Scaley

Seems like you are trying to rely on the ICLS too much. It is not a precision approach like normal ILS is. You need to have eyes on the ball and listen to the LSO, that is if Jello is not being shy on comms. If he is quiet then you are doing fine..normally. I have had some messed up traps where he was suspiciously silent.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

1. The caret on the heading scale shows current heading, i.e. the direction the nose is pointing. The thick vertical line on the heading scale is the command heading steering pointer and should align with the caret when the heading is such that the path traveled will be direct to the destination and account for wind and great circle effects (i.e. a direct path is not a constant heading). Currently in DCS this is not the case and instead the command heading steering pointer on the heading scale is only showing bearing information.

HSI orientation when in T UP mode is based on the airplane's track, e.g. positional history. As such the 12 o'clock position of the display corresponds to the direction of airplane motion. The long single line mark on the compass rose is the airplane's current heading.

2. ILS lines display only positional information. They are not directive in any way. They are also displayed relative to the TVV (or WL if displayed). As such the pilot cannot place TVV relative to ILS lines because ILS lines are displayed relative to TVV. It is meaningless to chase the ILS display with the TVV around the HUD. Instead he must change heading (descent rate) and observe that the alignment of the ILS localizer (glide path) line improves over time. Pilot technique for tracking ILS localizer is identical to tracking TACAN radial. The ICLS equipment in the F/A-18 will not tell you where to fly. It will only tell you your position relative to the center. A large amount of pilot skill and interpretation is required to convert the position information into flying corrections.

Caged/uncaged are both practical. I recommend caged until visual with the carrier as until TVV/carrier relative position can be visualized the non-centered display is only distracting and counterproductive.