Carrier Quals Procedure

Doc3908

Hi everyone,

What is the correct procedure when doing carrier quals (or practicing successive takeoffs and traps)? Assuming Case I conditions, after takeoff, do you get placed in the marshal stack until cleared to fly the full pattern and trap? Or, after the clearing turn, do you immediately turn left crosswind to downwind and trap right away? 

In SC, the communications are limited, so all I can do is call "Inbound" and immediately have to report "See you at 10" (because I just took off... unless I fly further out). Then the tower ALWAYS gives me a "Charlie", at which point I just turn downwind...

How do you guys do CQ in DCS?

Thanks!

Doc

It's very useful to read this guide, if you haven't already
https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/240066-carrier-operations-guide-by-pieterras/?do=findComment&comment=240891
You will realize that at present it's difficult to reproduce real CQ with DCS. However, based on the above guide, I've developed my own method. For me it's effective (taking into account screen's limitations), I like it and it doesn't bore me. After take off I proceed until reaching 350 kias and 800 ft, then break left, downwind ...  This way I save time. Constantly I change the weather conditions, loadout, fuel and so on. I don't pretend it's true to reality, but that's enough for me. I attach a track. I hope this is useful for you.

Edited by joker62
sorry, track larger than 5 MB, stay tuned ... https://we.tl/t-rD5xBhujEq
  • Thanks 1

I usually leave the hook up and do touch n goes, so after the first break I stay in the bolter pattern.  You won't get an LSO grade this way (well you will but it's always just a bolter), but I use Bankler's Case 1 Recovery Trainer mission for this, which gives a much more detailed grade anyway.  Lots of fun! 

Wow, that document is priceless. Thanks, Joker62 - don't know how I missed it last year. Kudos to the people who made that guide. They sacrifice their time and freely give away their knowledge for the benefit of the rest of us. Much appreciated!

And yes, I do touch and goes quite a bit too - mostly with the F-18, but every now and then with the F-14. I'm just not sure what the correct bolter pattern is for case 1. 

Positive rate of climb and turn to BRC. Once at 600ft do a left 27 degree turn, similar to when you are behind the ship but maintain 600 ft. That should put you on the right abeam distance for your downwind. From there just fly the remaining case 1 pattern. 

If there are other planes (for instance coming in for the break) which ever gets to the bow first has priority and who doesn’t have that priority needs to slot in with appropriate spacing. 

For the CQ pattern once you leave the cat establish a climb to 600, lower hook and flaps and as above do a left hand 27 degree level turn at 600ft. Once established on the downwind fly the remaining case 1 pattern. 

Edited by fmedges

On 2/4/2021 at 2:39 PM, Doc3908 said:

Wow, that document is priceless. Thanks, Joker62 - don't know how I missed it last year. Kudos to the people who made that guide. They sacrifice their time and freely give away their knowledge for the benefit of the rest of us. Much appreciated!

And yes, I do touch and goes quite a bit too - mostly with the F-18, but every now and then with the F-14. I'm just not sure what the correct bolter pattern is for case 1. 

Hey man glad you like my manual. 

There are endless possibilities for CQ and I cannot describe just one way. Some guys do their first CQ on a T45 and come in from land for their first trap, Whilst others do requalification.

for the hornet most realistic case I CQ would be to go airborne with a little bit over Max landing weight. Do some cool stuff to burn the fuel to get below max landing weight and get back to the pattern. After the boss will tell you wether to leave the hook up or not. But for launches straight into the pattern no clearing turn is required. Launch, pick up BRC climb to 600ft and turn downwind with your interval. 

forget the 27degrees AOB just stick with 30. And all the further details are described in the manual 🙂 

15 hours ago, Pieterras said:

for launches straight into the pattern no clearing turn is required. Launch, pick up BRC climb to 600ft and turn downwind with your interval

Pieterras, thanks for clarification about 600 ft in case of CQ launches straight. I will correct my exercises.