TGP - Trees and Buildings Drawing Range

Caldera

Hey;

Using the TGP, what is the best way of dealing with the peculiar way that trees are simply are not there, but suddenly are there?  

How about buildings that pretty much do the same exact thing?

I got into a few multiplayer games today where this is really an issue.  The TGP ranges that I am find myself using are much longer due to SA threat.  The drawing range seems to based on what would be a bit more than the pilots visual range.  Or, I guess, maybe a video setting.   The TGP's visual range, which is much greater, causes a pretty weird effect to occur.

For example, mavericks will not lock on to a target that was once in plain view.  But magically becomes obscured by trees or buildings.

Caldera

So...

There are not many work a rounds.  Just deal with it I guess.

The problem is that for the A-10 the longest missile is the maverick.  It can get dicey enough just trying to take out a SAM that has a longer range under ideal conditions.  Stay low, pop up and try to get the maverick to lock on through the trees.  Which, it just about will not do.  I am kind of getting that feeling that is not a great idea or plan.

Caldera

On 2/4/2021 at 2:21 AM, icemaker said:

I think TGP should have a different visibility range, it shloud always show what it is supposed to see.

The TGP on the A-10 (either flavor) has never been able to see any farther than about 43nm.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

There is no game out there that renders where you are and another render at 25 miles out.  Without making big sacrifice in performance.  If that is more important than performance, then just increase visibility range.

There are a lot of compromises this game makes to be playable.  Trees popping up, texture quality, LOD range... and it's not just this game.  Even MSFS 2020 has trees popping up.  And everything has its costs.

Edited by Taz1004

11 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

There is no game out there that renders where you are and another render at 25 miles out.  Without making big sacrifice in performance.  If that is more important than performance, then just increase visibility range.

Escape From Tarkov, Insurgency: Sandstorm, and Rising Storm 2 all pull off PIP scopes without major performance hits, at least for users with reasonably modern systems.

Edited by SJBMX

3 minutes ago, SJBMX said:

Escape From Tarkov, Insurgency: Sandstorm, and Rising Storm 2 all pull off PIP scopes without major performance hits, at least for users with reasonably modern systems.

You're comparing FPS with flight simulator?  And scope is not PIP.  It doesn't render two scenes.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

You're comparing FPS with flight simulator?  And scope is not PIP.  It doesn't render two scenes.

We're talking about a PIP TGP display viewed from a first-person perspective, so... yes. It seems reasonably appropriate. As far as none of those games having non-PIP scopes, they all display clear, magnified images in the scope window with (at least in the case of EFT and RS2) clear, unmagnified images around the scopes bodies, and claim to be PIP, so I'm going off that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SJBMX said:

We're talking about a PIP TGP display viewed from a first-person perspective, so... yes. It seems reasonably appropriate. As far as none of those games having non-PIP scopes, they all display clear, magnified images in the scope window with (at least in the case of EFT and RS2) clear, unmagnified images around the scopes bodies, and claim to be PIP, so I'm going off that.

It's rendering same area with inside the scope magnified.  It's rendering and calculating one scene.  In DCS, your rendering environment around your cockpit.  Then TGP is rendering another completely different view in completely different environment that may be behind you.  And then it may render another if you're using Maverick.  Also much larger than what you see in a sniper scope.  It's not even in the same ball park.

Edited by Taz1004

I can accept that. That being said, for DCS, wouldn't giving users a separate set of rendering options for TGP (or Mav/SLAM/etc views) be the "simple" fix? ie: User can set buildings/trees/etc to render at 20 miles in normal view, but at 40 miles in the TGP. Any performance hit would therefore be entirely up to the user?

On the Caucasus Map the TGT Pod renders Trees, Buildings and Vehicles at 40nm just fine.

On the Syria map you´ll see the Vehicles at 40nm, the first Trees "grow" at 35nm and the Buildings "grow" at 25nm. So, if it works on Caucasus I see no reason why it should´t work the same on other Maps.

• Like 2

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

5 hours ago, SJBMX said:

I can accept that. That being said, for DCS, wouldn't giving users a separate set of rendering options for TGP (or Mav/SLAM/etc views) be the "simple" fix? ie: User can set buildings/trees/etc to render at 20 miles in normal view, but at 40 miles in the TGP. Any performance hit would therefore be entirely up to the user?

I would gladly see a few new options:

1) Resolution, frame rate and drawing distance to mirrors.

2) Resolution and frame rate to all displays (In fact, the displays should always render only in their corresponding resolutions like 640x640 or 800x800 and not higher at all)

3) Targeting systems (Maverick, TGP, DMT etc) drawing distance, separate values for units, trees and buildings.

At least the mirrors exist as a config file somewhere (I am in process to change that, if I just remember to do so - and find the forum post that explains the file location) but mirrors and displays are same, and so on the targeting pods as well.

But what I as well think how things should be, is to allow all maximum rendering capabilities regardless what is the player hardware. And THEN offer settings PER MAP for drawing distances. So if someone doesn't have a capability preload a map further than 50 km, then they set it so. If they can go for a tree drawing distance for 80-100% then they can make it so. Otherwise players itself go and adjust the values as they see it to fit.

Edited by Fri13
  • Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.