MTADS Boresight

Sinclair_76

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Repth said:

What may seem like tedium to those who have done it in reality, is pure joy for those of us who haven't. At least the first couple of times, after that we get tired of it too 🙂.

Hah.  I promise, it would only take one time!

• Like 1

For me, It will be on in the beginning and always off shortly afterwards.... 

Come the Zombie apocalypse, it sure would not hurt to know how to do it when I stumble across an abandoned Apache. 

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a must, both TADS internal boresight, ihadss boresight, AWS dynamic harmonization and SANUC, also, the outfront boresight isn't available when you are using the MTADS, only internal.

These are vital procedures for an accurate simulation.

A randomized aircraft logbook having CBHK corrector values to check if correct would be a nice detail.

Edited by DaemonPhobos
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
hace 19 minutos, Relic dijo:

We don’t sight in any guns on any other aircraft. Is this a maintenance procedure or do pilots have to do this in flight or as part of start up?

Depends on the aircraft and the specific weapon/system to be boresighted.

For example, hornet and viper HMCS boresighting is something that pilots must do themselves but isn't functional in DCS yet.

Most of the functions that the pilot must go through are implemented, though.

you can always search for a checklist to see if a specific function is still not available.

In the apache, the pilot/CPG sighting procedures are:

TADS internal boresight, IHADSS boresight, TADS manual servo drift correction, TADS, FCR, NVS operational checks, Scene assisted non-uniformity check, AWS dynamic harmonization and laser pointer outfront boresight (if implemented).

Those are the procedures the pilot and gunner must do for themselves by the book.

Maintenance personnel take care of CBHK procedures and provide boresight corrector values for the TADS, PNVS, pylons, gun, INU1 and 2, doppler, HIADC and BPS.

Pilots are provided with an aircraft logbook that allows them to check if said values are correct when starting the aircraft.

• Like 1

Sigh, how long does it take? I'm personally more concerned with the flight model and the weapons systems. If this is a very time consuming and tedious part of start up, I personally would not be offended if they offered a "simplified" boresight option for start up procedure. 

• Like 1

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 1:44 PM, DaemonPhobos said:

This is a must, both TADS internal boresight, ihadss boresight, AWS dynamic harmonization and SANUC, also, the outfront boresight isn't available when you are using the MTADS, only internal.

These are vital procedures for an accurate simulation.A randomized aircraft logbook having CBHK corrector values to check if correct would be a nice detail.

Gross. 

That's sounds about as much fun as a virtual fuel sample before every flight. 

Edited by barundus
  • Like 1

Well, TADS boresight is pretty much automatized, SANUC also and it takes a couple of seconds, AWS DH is optional and the IHADSS boresight would be equivalent to the planned HMCS coarse and fine alignments on the FA-18C.

It's not really that much of a complicated process.

Why would one want to simulate this?

Because, i personally believe (and I suppose other people thinks the same) that we play DCS because we want to know how to fly the real aircraft as close and detailed as possible.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...