MFD's

Hmm how to fix this in the Home Cockpit, the Thrustmasters MFDs have way to little buttons to could accommodate this.

The Apache MFD has 31 buttons and 3 knobs, see the picture. I am considering changing the Thrustmaster MFD with two Elgato Steamdeck XL, they got 32 buttons.

Any of you guyz have come up with a solution to this.

MFD.PNG

molon-labe-black-header.jpg

-

Edited by Viper1970
  • Like 2

CockpitPC1: R9 5950X|64GB DDR4|512GB M2SSD|2TB M2SSD|RTX3090|ReverbG2|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|32GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|2x GTX660 SLI|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC1: R9 3900XT|32GB DDR4|2x2TB HDD|RTX2070|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|16GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|GTX660|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC3: AthlnIIX2 250|2GB DDR2|2TB HDD|5950Ultra|2xVoodooII SLI|WinXPPro32&WinME - PC4: K6-2+|768MB SDR|640GB HDD|Geforce256DDR|VoodooI|Win98SE

DCS - Modules - 1.jpg

DCS - Modules - 2.jpg

Alternatively, unlike the DCS jets you are used to now, the Longbow has a cursor that is controlled from the Collective and TEDAC that can be used to select any option on the MPD. In real life we don't use it much since we still prefer the MPD pushbuttons, at least in my squadron, however in DCS I'm going to see myself preferring the build in cursor to stay hands on over switching my hand to the mouse to click the MPD's. I imagine most DCS players getting used to using the cursor and staying hands on collective. That said for the enthusiastic sim pit builders it will of course be nice to have accurate MPD's, but it certainly won't be necessary to get a "realistic" experience, using the cursor on your collective is totally valid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, UnlikelyGM said:

Alternatively, unlike the DCS jets you are used to now, the Longbow has a cursor that is controlled from the Collective and TEDAC that can be used to select any option on the MPD. In real life we don't use it much since we still prefer the MPD pushbuttons, at least in my squadron, however in DCS I'm going to see myself preferring the build in cursor to stay hands on over switching my hand to the mouse to click the MPD's. I imagine most DCS players getting used to using the cursor and staying hands on collective. That said for the enthusiastic sim pit builders it will of course be nice to have accurate MPD's, but it certainly won't be necessary to get a "realistic" experience, using the cursor on your collective is totally valid.

3rd fastest way to die, a PF use the cursor while flying NOE. Just behind letting go of the controls (without any hold modes of course) and low speed IIMC.

9 minutes ago, Sinclair_76 said:

3rd fastest way to die, a PF use the cursor while flying NOE. Just behind letting go of the controls (without any hold modes of course) and low speed IIMC.

"Just behind letting go of the controls" what do you think you have to do to use the MPD pushbuttons? 😉

Though I jest, you are correct, we prefer to MPD pushbuttons because we can press them practically blindly, the problem with the cursor is you take your attention away from outside and to the MPD to reference the cursor which is a big problem in NOE. That said you really shouldn't be fiddling with the MPD's in NOE flight anyway, you have someone else to do that for you. 

Don't get me wrong of course having the physical MPD's is still going to be nice but it is a lot less necessary for the Longbow than it is for other DCS jets, even ones designed to be hotas like the F16.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UnlikelyGM said:

Especially for VR flying

If speed is death…, buy a Honda and live forever.

• 1 month later...

As it will be awhile until CaptZeen creates his Helios profile for the Apache, I thought I would just create a simple Helios profile of the two MFDs and Keypad viewports for the pilot.  Of course nothing has been programmed yet. 

MFDS AND KEYPAD.png

• Like 6

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

• 3 months later...

Rocker buttons are good substitute, or, as an option use modifier (paddle lever on the stick) + the “last” button in the row as an additional button.

don’t see it as much of a trouble, we’ll see how the general flow will be 🙂

Specially in VR I think the PointCNTRL devices will be a very good solution with the MFDs and the Keyboard.

from 16:10 to about 19:00 that could be somewhat similar interaction with the AH-64

Edited by Meathawk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/7/2021 at 11:09 PM, sobe said:

As it will be awhile until CaptZeen creates his Helios profile for the Apache, I thought I would just create a simple Helios profile of the two MFDs and Keypad viewports for the pilot.  Of course nothing has been programmed yet. 

MFDS AND KEYPAD.png

@sobe have you or anyone else made any progress with this HELIOS profile for the Ah64?