GBU laser code set at Reload screen

breakneckPace

Sorry if this has been brought up before, I went through a few requests but couldn't find something quite similar.  I was wondering if it would be possible (and if others might think it's a good idea) to be able to set the GBU laser code at the re-load screen when selecting your munitions.  Since I'm mostly familiar with the F-16 module, that's what most of this is based off of.  It's my understanding that in real life the codes are set with a physical dial or some sort of input on the bomb itself, and it's done before the pilot is even in the plane.  Currently we have to completely shut the engine down before any codes can be changed.  I get we shouldn't be able to do it mid-flight (it's not like the pilot can just step outside the plane for a quick fix at 20,000ft) but how about a compromise being we can set the code while re-loading, with the engine(s) still running? What do others think?

18 minutes ago, Zoomer said:

The Harrier and F-18/16 can be set on the fly.

..and the A10C, JF-17. What is the issue exactly?

F-16 can NOT be set on the fly any more. With the current itteration, in order to change the laser code to something other than 1688, you have to be on the ground and shut down the engine before the code can be changed. I could be mistaken, but I thought I read somewhere that this is going to be how the other planes will handle the GBU code as well in the future.  (in aiming for a more realistic experience, in real life the code is set on the bomb, not by the pilot in the cockpit) 
       The issue is, I don't really want to go through the entire shut down process, arm my F-16 with some gbu's, change the code, then go through the entire start up procedures again.  Particularly on missions (like in multiplayer or something) where you fly out, destroy some targets, then land and re-arm to go destroy some more. (and repeat if you don't get shot down) 

Edited by breakneckPace
spelling error

Haven't flown the Viper since the last update but the Hornet and Harrier with it's new laser guided rockets are as before, no issues. The Mirage is the only one I have to set in the mission editor before the mission. 

Look at Chuck's guides for your aircraft. The Viper is still early in the dev process. I've left it down as systems are changing with updates.

Edited by Zoomer

28 minutes ago, Zoomer said:

The Harrier and F-18/16 can be set on the fly.

..and the A10C, JF-17. What is the issue exactly?

The issue is that it shouldn't work that way. The Mirage and F-5 are really the only ones that get it right. Maybe the Jeff too, but I haven't checked it in a while.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

1 minute ago, breakneckPace said:

I'm not sure how the laser guided rockets work, that's something different.  I'm just talking about setting the laser code for the GBU's.  I'm not sure why it isn't something we could set in the re-arming screen.

Two main reasons — one that has been stated officially and one that is more of an implied legacy explanation.

The first is that for whatever reason, ED decided that they didn't want to create a universal DTC/aircraft setting system that would cover these things, but instead preferred bespoke solutions for each module. This is what has lead to the vast array of different methodologies to feed mission and weapon data into your plane, most of them completely imaginary or highly cumbersome.

The second is that, for laser codes specifically, changing how they work would require them to revisit and completely revamp the JTAC implementation and logic, and that is/was part of the base training program for which this whole thing was originally created. So there's the risk that fixing this issue would break one of the fundamental features that they might have been specifically contracted (with full design specs) to deliver.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

3 minutes ago, Tippis said:

The issue is that it shouldn't work that way. The Mirage and F-5 are really the only ones that get it right. Maybe the Jeff too, but I haven't checked it in a while.

The Jeff can be done via the comms on the ground as well last time I checked. So dcs are giving us a free pass on the in-flight code input. Seems crazy that a complex modern aircraft cannot programme the ordnance on the fly.

2 minutes ago, Zoomer said:

The Jeff can be done via the comms on the ground as well last time I checked. So dcs are giving us a free pass on the in-flight code input. Seems crazy that a complex modern aircraft cannot programme the ordnance on the fly.

It doesn't matter how modern the aircraft are (and most of them aren't that modern) when the ordnance is ancient…

5 minutes ago, Tippis said:

The second is that, for laser codes specifically, changing how they work would require them to revisit and completely revamp the JTAC implementation and logic, and that is/was part of the base training program for which this whole thing was originally created. So there's the risk that fixing this issue would break one of the fundamental features that they might have been specifically contracted (with full design specs) to deliver.

I'm not necessarily asking to change HOW the codes work.  just to change the method in which their codes are changed.  Basically I just don't want to have to do a full shut down of the f-16 just to change the code on the GBU to 1686 or something different than the default.  That SHOULDN'T (as far as I know) change the other characteristics of the bomb.

Yes, that part is pretty silly, but it's still just one aspect of a larger issue where just about all modules completely fail to handle laser-guided weapons properly  — the F-16 has just gone to a different extreme than most of the others. 😄

Haven't looked into it much tbh, as I am lucky to get enough time to run a few missions. But in relation to such things I'd expect dcs to follow the correct procedures as much as possible. It's something I'll look into for my own curiosity.

I believe ED said recently the they hope that in the future you will be able to do an actual walkaround check on the aircraft prior to flight. I'm open to correction on that but maybe in the next decade, who knows. I'm sure they'll have F10 menu skip option.

I would really appreciate if ED and all 3rd Party Moduels would come together and streamline this...

Kind of a mess at the moment.

F-18, A-10 can change Laser Codes on the Fly via the UFC.

F-14, F-16, F-5, AV-8B needs the Kneeboard (On the ground, Engine Shut Down)

Both approaches are kind of wierd. -> UFC is unrealistic and simply there as a stopgap for the missing JTAC functionality.

The Kneeboard is a great way to overcomplicate this simple thing. Wierd kneeboard combinations. force to shutdown the engines. Further cluttering up a Kneeboard.

So I agree with the OP. Beeing able to change laser codes for GBU's, APKWS should be done in the Rearming Window. The only place where it really makes sense.

And improve the JTAC functionality so the correct laser code is used by the JTAC.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

9 hours ago, Tippis said:

And the F-14/16 - same system as both the F-5E-3 and the Mirage, in that you have to set the code either in the mission editor, or on the kneeboard with the aircraft cold. The JF-17 has the mission editor option too, though I think it can change its codes via the ground crew menu, which is even more accurate, and how it should be, instead of using the kneeboard.

But we also need the ability to change the JTAC's laser code, either from the mission editor or via the radio or both.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.