Rift S with gtx 1070, is it worth it ?

pixie

I have just bought a Rift-S to try VR on my gaming PC. The experience has been overwhelming on titles such as Alyx or Elite Dangerous. But after having tried DCS F/A-18C , I am somehow disapointed. The cockpit is gorgeous to look at, it really feels I'm "there", the sense of flying is fantastic, but the scenery is a big let down to me. I haven't touched the settings yet, but it seems the details have been really tone down in order to make the sim running decently. I believe my computer is now on the low end for any simmer enthusiast.

So far I have the following hardware :

ryzen 5 3600

32 GB of RAM 

8GB GTX1070

oculus rift S

Is there a magic video setting I'm missing in DCS config page ? Any advice from ppl with a similar low end  computer ? There must be a sweetspot somewhere in the graphic panel. For now I'm back with my trusty track IR, but it feels I'm missing something.

Thank you for your advices

I'm on a Rift S, same processor and RAM but on a 1070Ti.  Yes, you're going to have to dial back the settings compared to a flat screen.  For me, I much prefer the 1:1 movement of a VR headset.

The other thing I do is run Oculus Tray Tool to raise my PD to 1.3 to 1.4.

Try this guide and get some improvement in frames.  I do not use the shader mod however:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyrAIhXFpv0

Just replaced the 1070 that ran my Rift S for a year . I consider the 1070 to be barely adequate , with no headroom for SS at the DCS settings i used . Enjoy it until you can upgrade to something better .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I will certainly replace my GPU at some point , but not right now. ATM, I'm selling the Rift S, because its very narrow IPD was giving me too much headaches and one blurry eye vision. Got myself the Quest 2 which is much much better regarding this aspect, but I believe is even more power hungry.

Edited by pixie

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, I have managed a decent VR experience on my gtx 1070. 

A few steps were essentials :

-RiftS was sold for a Quest2 , not a performance issue but an IPD one, believe me, software IPD adjustement is worthless.

-Installation of VR moded shaders as available on this forum, 

-Running Oculus Tray Tool,  ASW locked on 30Hz, Quest link set on GTX1070 preset template

I wish I had a better definition or pixel density, but at least everything is running smooth now, I can fly low altitude (F/A-18C) over cities or forest, and turning my head on the side of the cockpit without chopiness.

Hope this helps.