Random left engine failure

paulw10

Just recently I’ve been getting a left engine failure both in SP and MP. I’m flying along, not in contact with enemy, and my aircraft suddenly starts banking. I glance down and my left engine dials are all zero. Low pressure fuel caption is on. I’ve got lots of fuel. Neither APU or diving re-restart does anything. I’ve also tried cross-feed on the fuel. I have to recover on one engine.

I’ve had this in the last part of an Enemy Within mission, and when cruising to a capture point in MP (Tacview showing nothing for 50 miles) and nothing shooting at me. 
Can anyone shed any light? Am I missing something? Does the Hog have characteristics I’m not aware of?

Thanks. It’s starting to get a bit frustrating. 
I’m fairly new to DCS so could be a noob thing. I didn’t think the Hog any monitoring issues to watch for; like the Huey UH-1 has. 
And I don’t have failures allowed in settings. I accept MP could override, but not SP.

Edited by paulw10
Clarity

I just started figuring out the Tank Killer and I have not had this happen to me.  If you keep getting it, save the track and upload it.  I try to make a habit of saving tracks whenever sonething wacky or weird happens.  Starting to get a decent collection

• Like 3

ASUS X570 Plus TUF MOBO, Ryzen 3900X CPU, EVGA 2080 Super GPU, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD

3 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

What's your altitude? Bird strike perhaps? I've seen some YTs where it happens.

Between angels 10 and 15. Well above AAA and most MANPADS. I’ll take the suggestions about bird strike and keep an eye out for it.  What’s odd is if I look at the engine, it looks normal. No damage apparent. It might be windmilling, but I can’t tell any difference between the two engines. Just no thrust from the left engine. 

Hmm...  I turn bird strikes off in the options.  Maybe that is it?  Super weird it is only left engine.  Do you do the startup yourself, or do you "cheat" and use autostart (no judgement if you auto, I do)?  If you do it yourself, maybe you are missing a step?  Does the engine fail after a certain time, say 5 minutes or close to it?  Can you deduce what might be the problem, then replicate it?  Figure out as many conditions you have control over when it doea happen, then try to make it happen again, consistently.  Also, post a track. 

And you are correct, the turbine will spin even if the engine is dead due to windmilling.  It is a key component to doing air restarts in planes like the Princess Mig-21

ASUS X570 Plus TUF MOBO, Ryzen 3900X CPU, EVGA 2080 Super GPU, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD

• 2 weeks later...