AV-8B is still pretty rough

streakeagle

Energy is the most important thing if we're wanting to get behind for a low aspect shot. It has high ITR sure, maybe higher then the hornets down low, but that doesn't mean much if the fight lasts longer then a single turn. Because he cant keep doing that. And he can viff all he wants, if I'm far enough behind him (like you should be if you know basic BFM) it wont make a difference. He'll be outside the jet before I overshoot. 

No radar also means he only has SEAM, which means he needs to get way closer too boresight for heaters then me. I can slave lock. He's gotta pull that much more just to get the missile out. I don't, so he's gonna worry about mine before I need to think about his. 

Also again, keeping your eyes on the bad guy, for me, falls in the same category as not falling asleep.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

If you're close enough to launch heaters at him, you're close enough to get ghosted by his wingman. Did you even hit the first guy? Maybe, maybe not. But the fact they could end the fight with you in a burning hole is what makes it interesting. 

1 hour ago, exhausted said:

If you're close enough to launch heaters at him, you're close enough to get ghosted by his wingman. Did you even hit the first guy? Maybe, maybe not. But the fact they could end the fight with you in a burning hole is what makes it interesting. 

I can have wingmen too, but if you have to have at least 2v1 for the harrier to actually be a problem then its not really better then the hornet, is it? Even still if the odds are too far against me, then I can just plug in the burners and have a nice life. On the other hand 2v1 against the harrier is pretty much a dead harrier whether he likes it or not.

But this is all assuming, of course, we're in silly world where dogfights actually happen. Otherwise 120s make this entire conversation moot.

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

3 hours ago, Wizard_03 said:

I can have wingmen too, but if you have to have at least 2v1 for the harrier to actually be a problem then its not really better then the hornet, is it? Even still if the odds are too far against me, then I can just plug in the burners and have a nice life. On the other hand 2v1 against the harrier is pretty much a dead harrier whether he likes it or not.

But this is all assuming, of course, we're in silly world where dogfights actually happen. Otherwise 120s make this entire conversation moot.

Not to be dismissive but one of the points we've been making is the Hornet does not accelerate faster than the Harrier, so you're out of luck there.

The other point we've made is your hypothetical in the one scenario of the Hornet using its performance to exit a fight while it is already fast and at high altitude has merit. However, if not both, then you're not in the fight you envision and it's time to start thinking of contingencies. You could try to run, but as we've already said, see the first point.

19 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Yes, and I have mentioned that, but the Harrier, like most ground attack jets, is especially tricky owing to total lack of any RWR indications from it. Most jets that have a radar will keep it on in a dogfight, telling you when they acquire you and start lining up for a shot, which gives you a last-second chance to defend. No such luck with the Harrier.

What is one of the tricks for those who has a IRST system option, going for silent with radar and having the passive sensor do the tracking and all has huge benefits. It is easy to fight example against F-14 in dogfight when you can track it with your RWR, but going against a MiG or Su that just stay passive, it can take seconds away from your tactics to react to them.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Here are couple interesting comments from YouTube video, so take with grain of salt (as starting point for further investigation etc):

image.png

• Thanks 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 5:51 PM, Fri13 said:

Some Harrier pilots say that they do not plan to go through a transition to F-35B as it is "a unicorne" that is not so capable as that what makes Harrier so great on battlefield.

While other pilots state they would take the F-35 instead of the harrier if they had the choice.