AI Taxi issues in MP

NOTE: This happens in MP, so if you test offline you will not be able to reproduce. Replay may not show issue because AI recalculates and doesn't react as they do in a live MP mission. 

Problem:

-Client taxis, 2~4 remain parked

-Client takes off, 2 taxis, 3~4 remain parked

-2 takes off, 3 taxis, 4 remains parked

-3 takes off, 4 taxis and takes off

If doing a WW2 mission it takes about 15 minutes to get a 4-ship flight in the air. Flights with AI leads don't do this, so it's something weird going on with the client. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 5:23 AM, NineLine said:

Can you give me the mission file, if you don't want to share, you can PM, thanks!

Possibly fixed in the latest updates. I haven't experienced it in SP, but also haven't messed with MP since firing up the server is usually more trouble than it's worth these days. 

Update: Seeing a slightly different but possibly related issue in SP. I'm running Liberation though--I don't get much time to fly so when I do it's always an actual mission and not a script-free test.

When multiple flights are taking off, AI wingmen won't taxi until the last aircraft of the flight queued ahead of them is completely free of the runway. Example:

Dodge 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4 are taking off. 

Colt 2-1 taxis to runway, but -2, -3, -4 won't taxi.

Dodge 1-4 is wheels up, Colt 2-1 is already on the runway ready for takeoff, then Colt 2-2, -3, and -4 begin their taxi. 

5 hours ago, Grimes said:

Knowing which airbase and which spawns would suffice in getting started in testing it. 

Oops didn't think of that.

High Halden, parking spaces on the NW corner along the runway, typically the northernmost bunch all the way up to the last spot. I don't recall specific spot numbers off-hand. P-51s and P-47s with light winds from the north, since the AI only appear to want to use north-facing runways on the UK side. 

May have taken instructions of North more than west for the corner of the base everything was at. But placing everything on the western end was actually a fair bit more efficient than what I initially tested and recorded. Seemed to be pretty much par for AI take-off behavior. Also at least for that base AI can use all 4 runways for take-off. 

https://imgur.com/uPmpUoR

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Ayy I screwed that up. I had the airbase rotated 90 degrees clockwise in my head. It's parking slots 1~20 where the AI are typically spawned in the campaigns and that's where the issue happens. I reproduced and attached a simple script-free mission with 3 flights of 4 Thunderbolts. The flight in parking slots 1-4 gets hung up until all of the first flight departs. Lead taxis, but the wingman won't follow until all of the second flight departs. Also, if you change wind direction to go straight down runway 32, they still refuse to take it and will only use runway 28.

AI Taxi.miz

Edited by Nealius

Looks like the taxi issue and runway choice has already been fixed. Just gotta wait for the next update to the Channel map. 

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 2 months later...

This issue has returned in 2.7.0.5659. It is 100% reproducible for me on both Channel and Syria. Offline, with no lua scripting in the missions, the symptoms in my 06MAR video persist. Online, with lua scripting (such as Liberation), the symptoms are magnified, sometimes to the point that the AI never taxis. Given it also occurs offline without lua scripting, there is still an issue with the AI wingman taxi logic. 

Edited by Nealius

Updating with more tracks. Still occurs at Incirlik (see linked thread) and still at High Halden as in this thread. However, at High Halden the AI wingman will eventually take off. At Incirlik, the wingman sits at its parking space for the duration of the mission, forcing the client/player to go alone. 

I don't know where this issue belongs, as it is both an AI issue and a multiplayer issue, thus I posted in both sections.

This bug had been fixed in the last 2.5.6 beta version, but has returned since 2.7.0.

Edited by Nealius