Strategy - Planning - Tips

gregzagk

Starting this topic with the purpose to have it as sticky and provide tips, discussions that you can follow during the campaign.

One of the main features of the "Pontus" campaign, is that it offers re-playability, due to the ability to take different decisions on each mission.

We plan to strengthen this feature by providing additional updates/ upgrades from time to time, based mostly on the players feedback.

Combined with any new systems, weapons, AI behavior and features that DCS will bring to us in the coming months, the main goal is to provide a new experience each time you restart it. 

Posts with example sorties/ decisions will follow 😎 

Op. Pontus Guideline Video: 

aircraft carrier launch GIF

Edited by gregzagk

"ARGO" DCS UH-1H DLC SP Campaign

373vFS DCS World squadron (Greece) - www.buddyspike.net

"ARGO 2.0 Project Phoenix" UH-1H DLC Campaign - WIP

UPDATED !!!

As Operation's "Pontus" campaign goal is to offer a different experience to each player by providing a dynamic environment, we thought that it would be nice to include a thread of decisions and tips that we followed during our own missions. We are so happy for the release of the campaign that it's a pleasure to start it all over again anyways, like i have never played it before (despite the endless hours of testing and going though the campaign numerous times before the release).

Phase 1: Mission 1

So here Ι am in Mission One. After a short flight over the coast of Georgia the time has come to face my biggest dilemma, to refuel or not to refuel. That is the question. The decision was made... To not refuel and head straight to the target range. A decision i had to pay in the next mission, of course, since my points were reduced.. After that i had to face my biggest fear.... Night CASE III recovery...I was more than happy to safe and sound on the deck of the carrier and without delay my XO's voice sounded over the radio giving me a heads up for the next mission. "We need to achieve Air superiority".

Phase 2: Mission Planner

One big feature of Operation "Pontus" campaign, is the usage of the Mission Planner which helps to manage your squadron (payload, own waypoints etc). 

Our main goal is to achieve air superiority first and to reduce enemy air defense capabilities before being able to execute CAS & Strike missions. So i decided to load Fish, Hooters, Pickles AA weapons and Trimmer with good almighty AGM88s.

Selected Payload:

- Fish: 4x AIM120C, 2x AIM-9x and one centerline.

- Hooters: 4x AIM120C, 2x AIM-9x one centerline.

- Pickles: 4x AIM120C, 2x AIM-9x one centerline.

- Trimmer: 2x AGM-88, 2x AIM-9x one centerline.

And for my package: 4x AIM120C, 2x AIM-9x one centerline.

Phase 3: Start up and takeoff.

Once I was in cockpit, i was ready to assign tasks to my squadron. Though the F10 menu, i assigned the following: 
-Fish: CAP to BRAVO
-Hooters: CAP to BRAVO
-Pickles: CAP to Charlie
-Trimmer: SEAD

I quickly started starting up the aircraft. In the phase when I was waiting the INS alignment, I inserted though the F10 menu the code I acquired during the end of mission 1. But I just input it. Didn't submit it yet. Once my aircraft was ready I asked for the crew to remove my wheel chocks and slowly I was taxing to take my place in CAT I.

It was that time that I thought it's the right moment to submit the code.

Phase 4: On route to fight.

Once I was airborne, I quickly turned my radio to button 2 Darkstar Freq. And set course to WP 1. After a small chit chat with my number 2, I reached WP1 and begin to orbit waiting my turn to check in. Once it was my turn I took a quick look into the matrix code in my kneeboard, I authenticated and I was on my way to own the skies of Georgia.

Phase 5: The fight.

Just a few minutes after my check in, the first contacts appeared on my radar and the AWACS was started to give picture to all the packages. Fish, Hooters and Pickles were the tip of the spear, me and my wingman where following while Hooters in the back started firing these AGM in an effort to silence enemy air defenses. A few moments later we were able to suppress the first wave of the enemy and it was then that I took the decision to order RTB Pickles and Hooters, since I wanted to have the least casualties. A couple of planes later and a loss on my side, I decided that it was time to head to mother. So I ordered Fish and Hooters to RTB. Summary. With this strategy, I was able to give a big hit to the enemy without suffering significant losses. Someone else using lighter armament could give a bigger hit, since the airplanes would be more agile and fast.

Conclusion: Its player may choose a different strategy, even for the same stage, he/she can replay the mission changing roles, weapons, give different orders and finally, order the package to return to mother with different results every time based on their performance. 

Edited by petritis
  • Like 1

UPDATED !!!

Phase 1: The Mission

Since we had some good results on the previous mission, I decided to focus more on strike and let my squadron do all the dirty work in the air. In this way i would find the correct time window in order to hit the suggested by my XO target building.  

Phase 2: Mission Planner. 

Once i entered the mission planner, I selected my package in order to change my payload and set a WP to the designated by my XO coordinates. 

After that it was time to change the payload for my squadron. Keeping in mind the following tasks. 

-Fish: SEAD
-Hooters: CAP

-Pickles: CAP 
-Trimmer: CAP 

Selected Payload:

- Fish: 2x AGM-88, 2xGBU12s, 2x AIM-9x one centerline..

- Trimmer: 4x AIM120C, 2x AIM-9x one centerline.

And for my package: 2xAIM9x, once centerline, 2xGBU10s,2xGBU12s.

Phase 3: Start up and take off.

Once I was in the cockpit, I was ready to assign tasks to my squadron. Though the F10 menu, I assigned the following: 

-Fish: SEAD
-Pickles: CAP to BRAVO
-Trimmer: CAP to CHARLIE

I then started start up procedures. While waiting for the INS to align i inserted the five field code though F10 menu. 

Once I was ready, I asked the ground crew to remove the wheel chocks, unfolded my winds and quickly started taxing to take CATI. It was then that I submitted the code. 

While heading to check in with AWACS area, it was a good time to set my armament in order to be ready for my strike, after turning on my FLIR, setting Code to the GBUs i was more than ready to wait for the right moment to strike. 

After checking i quickly switched to my target waypoint, it was about 40nm to the NE from check in area. Unfortunately, enemy fighters were  already airborne and heading my way. Luckily Hooters and Pickles started engaging them and I was able to fly that sweet window of opportunity to release my bombs. 

I double checked that my bombs were good to go, waited and pickle!! A few seconds later i was looking through my TGP two beautiful GBU-10s hitting the roof top of the target building.  

I then decided to redraw in order to wait for my squadron to perform their tasks. A few minutes later i got the message that the sky is clear. 

I quickly ordered Fish, Hooters and Pickles to RTB. Since i didn't have any AA missiles except my AIM-9s i order Trimmer to form up with me..I didn't want to left alone out there with no air cover. 

While waiting him and his no2 to join i contacted JTAC, it would be a shame to return to mother with 2xGBU-12 hanging from my wing... i got my target coordinates and i was on my way to hit those tanks. 

A couple of explosions later i was on my way back to mother. Victorious and with no casualties. 

TIP: Throughout the whole mission it is always a good idea to order your wingman to cover you/engage air defenses of bandits. This way you can focus more on your mission. Of course he must carry and the according payload. 😉

Edited by petritis

On 1/30/2021 at 6:25 PM, petritis said:

Workaround: So by default and by not using the trigger zones as the manual mentions, our friendly packages have the following roles assigned:

- Fish: CAP ALPHA

- Hooters: CAP BRAVO - Pickles: CAS

- Trimmer: SEAD

Our main goal is to achieve air superiority first and to reduce enemy air defense capabilities before being able to execute CAS & Strike missions. So I was thinking how I am going to achieve air superiority when Lt. Pickles is assigned with CAS task. Well, since I am unable for example to assign her a CAP role on area ALPHA at the moment, why not change her payload in order to silence a few radars. So I did the same thing for the other friendlies.

Selected Payload:

- Pickles: 2x AGM-88, 2x AIM-9x one centerline.

- Hooters: 2x AGM-88, 2x AIM-9x one centerline.

You have a couple of mistakes here: in red you're missing Trimmer in the payload section (2x Hooters) and in green Pickles shows a SEAD payload instead of CAP.

On 1/31/2021 at 1:25 AM, petritis said:

UPDATED !!!

As Operation's "Pontus" campaign goal is to offer a different experience to each player by providing a dynamic environment, we thought that it would be nice to include a thread of decisions and tips that we followed during our own missions. We are so happy for the release of the campaign that it's a pleasure to start it all over again anyways, like i have never played it before (despite the endless hours of testing and going though the campaign numerous times before the release).

Phase 1: Mission 1

So here Ι am in Mission One. After a short flight over the coast of Georgia the time has come to face my biggest dilemma, to refuel or not to refuel. That is the question. The decision was made... To not refuel and head straight to the target range. A decision i had to pay in the next mission, of course, since my points were reduced.. After that i had to face my biggest fear.... Night CASE III recovery...I was more than happy to safe and sound on the deck of the carrier and without delay my XO's voice sounded over the radio giving me a heads up for the next mission. "We need to achieve Air superiority".

Phase 2: Mission Planner

One big feature of Operation "Pontus" campaign, is the usage of the Mission Planner which helps to manage your squadron (payload, own waypoints etc). 

Our main goal is to achieve air superiority first and to reduce enemy air defense capabilities before being able to execute CAS & Strike missions. So i decided to load Fish, Hooters, Pickles AA weapons and Trimmer with good almighty AGM88s.

Selected Payload:

- Trimmer: 2x AGM-88, 2x AIM-9x one centerline.

Phase 3: Start up and takeoff.

Once I was in cockpit, i was ready to assign tasks to my squadron. Though the F10 menu, i assigned the following: 
-Fish: CAP to BRAVO
-Pickles: CAP to Charlie
-Trimmer: SEAD

I quickly started starting up the aircraft. In the phase when I was waiting the INS alignment, I inserted though the F10 menu the code I acquired during the end of mission 1. But I just input it. Didn't submit it yet. Once my aircraft was ready I asked for the crew to remove my wheel chocks and slowly I was taxing to take my place in CAT I.

It was that time that I thought it's the right moment to submit the code.

Once I was airborne, I quickly turned my radio to button 2 Darkstar Freq. And set course to WP 1. After a small chit chat with my number 2, I reached WP1 and begin to orbit waiting my turn to check in. Once it was my turn I took a quick look into the matrix code in my kneeboard, I authenticated and I was on my way to own the skies of Georgia.

Just a few minutes after my check in, the first contacts appeared on my radar and the AWACS was started to give picture to all the packages. Fish, Hooters and Pickles were the tip of the spear, me and my wingman where following while Hooters in the back started firing these AGM in an effort to silence enemy air defenses. A few moments later we were able to suppress the first wave of the enemy and it was then that I took the decision to order RTB Pickles and Hooters, since I wanted to have the least casualties. A couple of planes later and a loss on my side, I decided that it was time to head to mother. So I ordered Fish and Hooters to RTB. Summary. With this strategy, I was able to give a big hit to the enemy without suffering significant losses. Someone else using lighter armament could give a bigger hit, since the airplanes would be more agile and fast.

Conclusion: Its player may choose a different strategy, even for the same stage, he/she can replay the mission changing roles, weapons, give different orders and finally, order the package to return to mother with different results every time based on their performance. 

Updated

Edited by petritis

• 1 month later...

I'm on mission #2 and when I go into the mission planner there are no Target Zones shown around the different flights, so I have no way of assigning missions to them. What do I need to do in order to get the Target Zones around the flights? 

On my first dynamic mission - whlile on carrier i set Trimmer to sead, and others to CAP ..When i am in flight - in F10 - there is only option to send trimmer to CAP?  How to i order trimmer to SEAD? Or the correct order is to send Trimmer to CAP, and since on the beggining of mission i set him up for SEAD he is going to do the SEAD task? Also i lost both trimmer aircrafts because AI flew over AA after firing those AGM-65s and hitting ground targets ..Do i have  trimmer available on my next mission since he was shot down?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

On 3/22/2021 at 10:09 AM, hreich said:

On my first dynamic mission - whlile on carrier i set Trimmer to sead, and others to CAP ..When i am in flight - in F10 - there is only option to send trimmer to CAP?  How to i order trimmer to SEAD? Or the correct order is to send Trimmer to CAP, and since on the beggining of mission i set him up for SEAD he is going to do the SEAD task? Also i lost both trimmer aircrafts because AI flew over AA after firing those AGM-65s and hitting ground targets ..Do i have  trimmer available on my next mission since he was shot down?

Hey, in the beginning of every mission and before you enter the code, you have to assign tasks to the AI flights through the F10 menu. First for Fish, then with Hooters, Pickles and finally Trimmer. For example, if you assign SEAD task to Trimmer this will be his task for the rest of this mission.

Now, once you are airborne you have the option to order your AIs to establish CAP. For example, during a mission you see that the enemy has more planes in the air than you believed. Though CAP option you can order other units with different roles to change their task CAP. 

All AIs are available in the next missions even if they have ejected.

Combat Search and Rescue guys are doing a great job 😉

it seems like a great campaign I recently purchased it 

I use Rift S.

Just one thing in the campaign (at least on my computer) I found the targeting pod, way point designator are out of sync  if you have trouble hitting anything or your solution bar is way out that's what I found out when I used Jsow designated by the waypoint  hit the targets but my FLIR was looking at an empty field. ( that may be Just my computer problem so I'm going to try re installing . If you think I should report it to any one in particular or you know of this problem let me know.

once again thanks for your time.

Ps (it all works fine any were else)

• Thanks 1

Maybe you forgot set target waypoint to zero so it will be set to ground level. Your TGP probably looking at corrext coordination but at some 4000ft above that spot on terrain. You can set waypoint alt to zero in mission planner so it will auto snap to terrain level or in flight via WP edit and you can read terrain alt on the F10 map.

On 3/30/2021 at 3:46 AM, Johezq said:

it seems like a great campaign I recently purchased it 

I use Rift S.

Just one thing in the campaign (at least on my computer) I found the targeting pod, way point designator are out of sync  if you have trouble hitting anything or your solution bar is way out that's what I found out when I used Jsow designated by the waypoint  hit the targets but my FLIR was looking at an empty field. ( that may be Just my computer problem so I'm going to try re installing . If you think I should report it to any one in particular or you know of this problem let me know.

once again thanks for your time.

Ps (it all works fine any were else)

Make sure you place your INS knob to IFA once the alignment QUAL reaches 0.5 OK state.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

• 1 year later...

hello there, i have been having fun learning how to operate in this campaign.  i have a tiny issue and i dont know what is causing this, and was hoping to get some help.  when my flights of ai shack a ground target with a SlamEr and i think it happends with slam too  i get this message that pops up and the whole screen is paused.  once i hit the enter key everything goes back to normal.

in the campaign is there bluefor ground troops?

DCS.1.jpg

1 hour ago, DukeAngus said:

hello there, i have been having fun learning how to operate in this campaign.  i have a tiny issue and i dont know what is causing this, and was hoping to get some help.  when my flights of ai shack a ground target with a SlamEr and i think it happends with slam too  i get this message that pops up and the whole screen is paused.  once i hit the enter key everything goes back to normal.

in the campaign is there bluefor ground troops?

DCS.1.jpg

At first glance, this might be a DCS issue similar to one reported in the F-16 subforum about Mavs in training mission 🤔