Baby's First Reference Book

Horns

Can anyone suggest any reference-style books on the F-14? I have a few Tomcat books and I've seen a few more, but they are more like collections of anecdotes. These accounts are great for getting a feel for what it was like to develop, maintain and fly the 'Cat and they have plenty of information marbled through, but it's hard to know where to look for an answer to a question or a specific piece of information. I'd love to get an F-14 book something like the books Yefim Gordon wrote on red air, but anything in a reference style would be welcome.

Books I already own:

Grumman F-14 Tomcat Owners' Workshop Manual: All models 1970-2006 - Tony Holmes

Jane's How to Fly and Fight in the F-14 Tomcat (At the Controls) - David Rockwell

Tomcat Fury: A Combat History of the F-14 - Mike Guardia

Iranian F-14 Tomcat Units in Combat (Combat Aircraft Book 49) - Tom Cooper and others

Thanks

H

Edited by Horns
Removed draft

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Nothing to the degree of the near-1000pg tomes by Gordon and Komissarov exist for the F-14 in spite of its popularity.  There are a few that do get into some decent details, however, one of the more affordable being "TOMCAT!  The Grumman F-14 Story" by Paul T. Gillcrist, a retired Rear Admiral who was directly involved in the Tomcat programmatically during his time at the Pentagon, so he has some good insights and background (~$40USD).  Another, if you can find it, is Grumman F-14 Tomcat Shipborne Superfighter edited by Jon Lake, but its current asking price is over $760 on Amazon.  While it has a lot of good data, it isn't worth $700; you can find much of what is contained in it across multiple other books and spend a hell of a lot less; I got my copy well over 20 years ago when it was about $30.  Both books date to the late 1990s, so the plane was only just getting into the strike role then, and the details on the strike capabilities of the plane are relatively little compared to its other roles.  Another one that has good data on the F-14 out to the Mid-1980s is the Great Book of Modern Warplanes First Edition from 1988 (the Tomcat is covered in the last chapter, and it covers several other aircraft as well). 

Hope this helps.

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey

That's great, thanks Quid. I guess finding an F-14 publication to rival Gordon and Komissarov's texts is a tall order. I have seen the Gilchrist book around and I think I've seen The Great Book of Modern Warplanes around too, and thanks for giving me the year to make sure it's the right edition 🙂 

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Am 7.2.2021 um 18:01 schrieb friggindead:

Ok- here try this link instead. Not sure why they're showing as corrupted 🤔

https://mega.nz/folder/iw8ywRga#hbNSHslc8IVzEE395Is0hA

Many Thanks!! This is reading material for the next few months ...

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!