Can't see meatball until almost at the ramp.

DmitriKozlowsky

Can't see meatball until almost at the ramp. Needs to be the brightest light and be conspicuous. Right now it is sub-pixel in size , even at max zoom into HUD, until almost at ramp.

So my 'cheat' , for daylight Case 1 & 2, is almost fly the deck. Basically sustain speed for 130-140 on final, with flight path marker , centered on #3 wire.

Odd thing is, in Encyclopedia viewer, with Stennis, the ball is nearly perfect, and moves up and down depending on view angle. It is bright, and easily seen. This is how it should be inside the sim, from inside cockpit.

• ED Team

Hi, 

I have moved this to supercarrier bug section as it is about the visual acquisition of the meatball. 

Can you tell us your screen resolution and monitor setup? 

I use VR mainly and dont have any issue seeing the meatball. 

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Your first pic, you're just too far away, the second pic, I'm pretty sure you're off the bottom of the lens. 

IRL, transition to the ball occurs at less than a mile in CASE III conditions, and in CASE I/II conditions, you'd be not much more than a mile away at the 90, and rolling into the groove closer to 0.6nm.  If you're trying to see the ball from 2.5-3nm, I would ask why.   And again, for your second pic, you're low (and fast).  Try flying correct CASE I patterns and see how the ball is visible when you're where you're supposed to have the aircraft.    This is a great guide for understanding the pattern https://forums.eagle.ru/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=173828

I fly in the G2, and Rift S previously, and never had an issue seeing the ball when I was in the right spot.

• Thanks 1

Also looks like you are very long in the groove and lined up left. The mechanics of your approach turn are very important. Where did you start your turn? Make sure it's abeam the LSO platform. Pull up your TACAN on the HUD so that you have some SA of where you are. Swap your EW page with your HSI. That will help! And yeah, like @TonyGsaid, you are well below glide path! 

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

1. No TACAN set, thus no distance and no course line and BRC.

2. Lined up left.

3. Low af (this is actually why you do not see the ball).

4. Not on speed AOA.

5. Speedbrake out 🤔.

6. Wrong DDI setup (what for a valuable information do you think the EW page might provide you in the pattern or at any landing at all?).

So pretty much everything in this picture is wrong. And we even cannot see the lower part and what the switches are set to (Flaps, Hook, Master Arm).

Yes and except of No. 3 all of this has nothing to do with your complaint about not seeing the ball right. But.. holy smokes.

And I at least can see the ball. In pancake with trackIR.

Sorry 😔

• Like 1

You try changing your gamma settings? I'm seeing a ball (completely ignoring the overlay) and it is good, in the Hornet and Tomcat. I will say that the IFLOLS probably should be brighter than the LRLS light. I can see that from space. Maybe you need to use the overlay. I don't know what kind of set up you have. I have a pretty good computer working on a curved monitor. 

This may also help you until you get the hang of it: Tune your ILS and get it up on the HUD. That way, as you roll out, you get an idea of where you should be. Right now, it looks like you are doing it the cowboy way. Fly the numbers, fly the ball! The start of your approach is very important! IMHO, turn off that controls overlay. Just have fun with the thing and experiment and try to "feel" what it might feel like. 

5 hours ago, Andartu said:

5. Speedbrake out 🤔.

Damn, I missed that! Oh yeah, that's a no-no! Good call brother!

• Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

• ED Team

Add a short track replay we can all take a look, maybe give you some pointers. 

It is important to be in the correct configuration, so the approach needs to be good. 

thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

42 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Add a short track replay we can all take a look, maybe give you some pointers. 

It is important to be in the correct configuration, so the approach needs to be good. 

thanks

Flaps FULL

Gear DOWN

Hook DOWN

R DDI FCS

L DDI: ADI

Radar: SIL

POD: STBY

EW: STBY

Dispenser Mode: STBY

Stores: empty, except gun: full

Fuel: 2800-3000

• ED Team

Sorry I mean the correct altitude and glideslope 

Add a short track replay, happy to take a look. 

thanks

As TonyG said.
The ball is not supposed to be visible outside of parameters. It's called at 3/4 mile within the constraints of the Case1 pattern or the Case3 pattern, neither of which your screenshots are in. This is not a criticism of your flying, it's simply saying that the meatball has a specific design and you are not in the design parameters. This is because the lenses are shielded (like traffic lights) to be only visible in the correct angle.

If you can get on glideslope and path at 3/4 of a mile TACAN and then take a reference picture it would be much easier to discuss, although saving your flight as a track would make this even more simple as we can tell you what we see on a different system.

• Like 1

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• ED Team

this may help. More detail can be seen in the manual 

also using the iflos display to make sure you are on glidepath will help.

inside.PNG

34.PNG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I didn't have an issue with seeing the IFLOLS at about 3/4 of a mile before but since 2.7 it's nearly impossible to until almost at the ramp. Actually I tried it just now and from what I can gather the problem seems to be with the brightness of the lighting in general. HUD DDI and panel lights don't seem bight enough to me.

Also I know I'm not on speed or lined up these are for illustration using the keyboard.

Screen_210417_145205.png

Screen_210417_145210.png

Edited by Lieuie
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am surprised that neither the OP or others are using ICLS. Why not? This is at 3/4 mile out on a practice straight in approach.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iMZ4MN][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49747134052_a5d375c680_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2iMZ4MN]3 4 mile out[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152454123@N04/]craig stuard[/url], on Flickr

The vertical ICLS line can be picked up from maybe 9-10 miles out and pretty far off correct lineup. The horizontal line doesn't show to about 6 miles out.

That surprises me too. There has been much teeth gnashing on here about how ICLS isn't used IRL on a case 1, but the reality is that it's pilot's discretion, and you can find many videos of case 1 traps on youtube with the needles displayed, like this one: 

Considering that neither a VR headset nor a high def monitor can even begin to render a scene in the same detail you'd see if you were there, and considering the further handicaps we deal with like lack of sensory feel, it seems like you'd want to avail yourself of every aid you could.  And at least the ICLS is a realistic aid, unlike the goofy pop-up FLOLS.