GBU-12 not guiding anymore?

chnapo

So I do basically the same as all tutorials say - I set the laser code, tpod to laser, pt, arm, fire the laser, wait till the timer is at 0 and drop a bomb. Bomb has fuse sed to Tin and there is just nothing that would be obviously wrong. The GBU 12 drops like an unguided bomb. No attempt to hit the target designated by laser (tpod).

I hated GBU-12 for some time becuase it would randomly become dumb bomb. But now it is a dumb bomb all the time. Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong please?

Ryzen 3 3100 @ 4.2 GHz (temporarily, until Ryzen 5 5600 non-X is available)

B550 DS3H

2x16GB DDR4 3600 MHz CL16 Trident Z Neo
Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti 11GB

Xiaomi 34" 3440x1440 144Hz curved gaming monitor

27 minutes ago, Wisky said:

there is a lot you could have done wrong. first off all what lasercode did you set? it would be more easy if you could just upload a short trackfile so we can look what you actually do or capture a video of you doing it.

I am going to take the video. BTW I wasn´t sure if I set everything properly, so on the next run I loaded some laser guided mavericks and they guided just fine. Video will be here in roughly 30min.
EDIT: Laser code 1688. It has worked before (although not every time) and I did not change the way I do it.

Edited by chnapo

B550 DS3H

5 hours ago, Wisky said:

there is a lot you could have done wrong. first off all what lasercode did you set? it would be more easy if you could just upload a short trackfile so we can look what you actually do or capture a video of you doing it.

Link to download the video: https://we.tl/t-BfCbxfCY8A
Don´t mind my clumsy takeoff, I forgot to refuel to 50% and was too heavy lol.

B550 DS3H

Your first GBU-12 hits exactly the point your TPOD is pointing at, which happens to be the field behind the targets. The second one is tossed to the side in a 2.6 G pull and I believe the bomb has little to no chance to guide with those launch parameters.

Remember the gbu doesn't acquire guidance until about ten seconds from impact, unlike the maverick which acquires guidance on the rail. This means you have to give it a ballistic drop which will put it in the right place to see the laser spot when it goes active, and with enough energy to correct is trajectory to hit it.

Win10 x64, 16 GB RAM, Ryzen 5 1600X @3.60 GHz, 500 GB SSD, GeForce 1080 Ti

7 hours ago, andyn said:

Your first GBU-12 hits exactly the point your TPOD is pointing at, which happens to be the field behind the targets. The second one is tossed to the side in a 2.6 G pull and I believe the bomb has little to no chance to guide with those launch parameters.

Oh crap, I did not notice my target has changed last second!

2 hours ago, Teeps said:

Remember the gbu doesn't acquire guidance until about ten seconds from impact, unlike the maverick which acquires guidance on the rail. This means you have to give it a ballistic drop which will put it in the right place to see the laser spot when it goes active, and with enough energy to correct is trajectory to hit it.

You are right. My problem was basically the altitude? I tried to launch from 4000m and the bomb guided nicely.

B550 DS3H

4 hours ago, Teeps said:

9 hours ago, andyn said:

So guys. I tried. I loaded a few of GBU 12s and killed a few tanks, everything worked fine. Then they stopped working for me again. Please can you check out this video and tell me what am I doing wrong this time? (I know - I think it is the second launch - was bad, but otherwise I did everything the same way as when it worked and managed to kill at least 5 tanks until they stopped guiding).
Link to the vid: https://we.tl/t-0YbLDehSIz

For comparison, this was taken right before that, in the same flight. First maybe 5 GBU12s worked like this one, then two didn´t and then with 8th one I recorded the video (first link). I dropped some more, no matter what speed and altitude I tried, they wouldn´t hit the target anymore. https://we.tl/t-yosnykEeJ0

Edited by chnapo
further information

B550 DS3H

from what i can see within 30 seconds of the video you had you laser on all the time. That thing should not be longer active than 2 minutes at the most.

you burnt your own laser, go and get yourself a new one.

drop bomb -> laser on -> boom -> laser off

rinse and repeat.

6 hours ago, Wisky said:

from what i can see within 30 seconds of the video you had you laser on all the time. That thing should not be longer active than 2 minutes at the most.

rinse and repeat.

While this is true, I don't think RB has modeled laser burnout. If it did, disregard my message

11 hours ago, Wisky said:

rinse and repeat.

I also doubt that laser burnout has been implemented..

B550 DS3H

I think the video demonstrates, quite well, that it, in fact, had been implemented. 🙂 Frying the laser had been a concern in the first A-10C and IIRC, in Ka-50 as well. I would think this is a pretty basic functionality.

In any case, I had no problems dropping LGBs, and I take care to turn the thing off when coming off target. Follow proper laser discipline and it should work fine.