Hornet external centerline tank priority

Arnaud

Couldn't find any post related to this issue.

I've noticed some strange behaviour when it comes to external tanks emptying.

PvP Server on Stable version :

- First take off with one centerline ext. tank.

- Centerline is emptying first so I can jettison it and go about my mission with full internal fuel.

- I land, refuel, new centerline tank.

- Second take off and I noticed that centerline AND internal are emptying at the same time, hence making it impossible to jettison my centerline as it's never totally empty.

Happened all the time after the first landing (about 5 or 6 flights total).

Got shot, respawn and then back to normal behaviour (ext. tank emptying first), land again, refuel, new tank, and problem again.

I haven't messed with feed switches.

I know that am not supposed to jettison my ext. tanks IRL, but in game, I do it a lot on PvP servers and I would expect the plane to behave consistently without having to respawn.

Is that a (known) bug ?

EDIT : Most of the time when I drop/jettison my tank and get a new one on refuel/rearm the bird is consistent and the tank is emptying first. I've noticed this new strange behaviour yesterday. Playing on the Full Out War Stable server of 4YA.

Edited by Arnaud

On travel so I can’t verify this. If it is a bug, a workaround that could be useful is pop the centerline switch to override, that makes it priority and should transfer up before the rest of of the internal tanks start emptying as long as there is room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

21 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Couldn't find any post related to this issue.

I've noticed some strange behaviour when it comes to external tanks emptying.

PvP Server on Stable version :

- First take off with one centerline ext. tank.

- Centerline is emptying first so I can jettison it and go about my mission with full internal fuel.

- I land, refuel, new centerline tank.

- Second take off and I noticed that centerline AND internal are emptying at the same time, hence making it impossible to jettison my centerline as it's never totally empty.

Happened all the time after the first landing (about 5 or 6 flights total).

Got shot, respawn and then back to normal behaviour (ext. tank emptying first), land again, refuel, new tank, and problem again.

I haven't messed with feed switches.

I know that am not supposed to jettison my ext. tanks IRL, but in game, I do it a lot on PvP servers and I would expect the plane to behave consistently without having to respawn.

Is that a (known) bug ?

I am amazed that you are able to have the external fuel tanks refill once you are on the ground (unless you are jettisoning them all during flight).  If you leave them on the aircraft, then land with them empty - the ground crew will not even refill them, so you have to "remove them" then have them reinstalled. (This isn't even just isolated to the Hornet, it's across all aircraft).

Very annoying.  In most servers, this isn't an issue and you just punch the bags off as soon as they are empty.  In our server, every resource/store is limited in quantity, so we only punch the bags if we are in an emergency situation (whether that is getting jumped in a dogfight or a failure on the aircraft).

Your observation/complaint certainly sounds like a bug.

Cheers,

Ziptie

• Like 1

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

8 hours ago, Ziptie said:

unless you are jettisoning them all during flight

Yup, precisely, I jettison my center tank when it's empty but for some reason the way it drains on the second flight is different from the first, without changing any setting in the plane.

I actually wonder if I haven’t seen the same thing, I typically burn the centerline as my priority so that I can kick it off if needed...and I’ve definitely had times where I couldn’t make it my sole source; seemingly after landing and refueling/rearming. 

Interesting. 

6 hours ago, Brass2-1 said:

I actually wonder if I haven’t seen the same thing, I typically burn the centerline as my priority so that I can kick it off if needed...and I’ve definitely had times where I couldn’t make it my sole source; seemingly after landing and refueling/rearming. 

Interesting. 

Yup, precisely. Happened again yesterday on the stable version. Should I report this as a bug ? Should I provide a track ? I've tried messing with the feed switches (center on override and wings on off) but it didn't solve the problem. 

1 minute ago, Arnaud said:

Yup, precisely. Happened again yesterday on the stable version. Should I report this as a bug ? Should I provide a track ? I've tried messing with the feed switches (center on override and wings on off) but it didn't solve the problem. 

I would think you should - and you could put a link to this thread in your bug report as well.  They typically want a track to go with a bug report - so might be worth you including one in that bug report...

I believe that they have "reported" the failure to refill the external tanks when rearm/refuel - but "reported" was back in November - with no real follow up / update.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria