Please correct before Open Beta

Hueyman

Hi guys,

Pretty sure you already plan to do it but just in case it gets through ...

The rotor blades should have a negative twist, like let's say at minimum ground flat pitch +8° at the root and -3° at the tip ( random numbers, don't know the actual value ). It's visually important to give a realistic appearance, not like plastic model " flat/straight ' blades.

Currently it looks to have the opposed, increasing twist from root to tip.

Please also take note of the blade bending motion, both drooping down at rest, and coning up on load.

The major part of the bending happens in the first thrid of the blade lenght, not at the tips like it is now ( typical effect of plastic model where heater are used to soften the plastic and the blades bend evenly, while in reality it's not )

c8dddfc21546e47f80bd53dfe4647555.jpg

Nitpicking a bit for sure but these are little details that while bring it to geometrical perfect accuracy.

Good luck !

Hueyman

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

For drooping I think the Mi-8MTV-2 has it modelled, though not sure if accurate (might even have the twist too).

The main thing I hope ED gets right, is the blades on the tail rotor, as on the Hip they're essentially the wrong way round.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

25 minutes ago, Hueyman said:

Exact, on the Hip they look actually as a pusher ( blade pitch animation )

Yeah, it looks like it was configured to be placed on the right hand side, but was placed on the left, so the model appears to produce thrust in the wrong direction, reinforcing the torque instead of negating it.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am really hyped for this beast but I have to admit that the bent blades are bugging me a bit 😄

Here is a screen comparison showing that the blades of the real thing are pretty straight and only bend a little near the center.

In the latest video there is a clear bend along the whole length of the blades which looks a bit funny.

bent_blades.jpg

bent_blades2.jpg

Mi-24Va

• Like 3

Noticed same thing first thing in the video. I don't know have I ever seen Hind have a curved rotor blades, instead the coned from the root as the photo at bottom.

So more as a V than it is now as U shaped.

It looked like the those blades are about to give up at any moment.

• Like 4

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

16 hours ago, Kerberos said:

I am really hyped for this beast but I have to admit that the bent blades are bugging me a bit 😄

Here is a screen comparison showing that the blades of the real thing are pretty straight and only bend a little near the center.

In the latest video there is a clear bend along the whole length of the blades which looks a bit funny.

bent_blades.jpg

bent_blades2.jpg

Mi-24Va

Agreed, it looks like they've forgotten about the flapping hinge on the rotor hub.

Interesting given that the shot in the trailer shows it more accurately, but the latest video shows them bent.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

System:

Okay, let’s get this nailed down once for all, then it will be up to the developers to correct this or let it as is ( but it’s a very quick fix for a much better visual fidelity and accuracy )

Only plastic models have constant radius bending along whole blade length, when it’s not done properly. Real helicopter blades, whatever the material, are flexible. While it’s same construction along length ( except strengthened around the root/blade grip ), by physical laws it is more bending in the first quarter of the length, after this, it is almost straight down to the tips. Do the experiment of holding a sheet of paper and look where it bends the most.

Another thing is blade twist. Blades are designed in order to maximize efficiency in most areas, and while it’s always a matter of compromise, a common way to try to distribute forces and lift evenly is to look for a constant Angle of Attack throughout blade length. Due to tangential velocity, the tips are traveling much faster than the roots. Because of this, any blades from propellers or rotors are twisted ( except most of tail rotors as the length is negligible and they are designed to produce thrust in both direction just by changing pitch ). For example, a typical rotor blade twist construction has an airfoil set at 0° at root and -11° at tips, or +11° at roots and 0° at tips, whatever the minimum pitch stops are set at.

Right now, in the Mi-24 work in progress that was shown, the 3D model misses :

-  Correct blade droop
-  Correct blade twist ( inexistent )

This is not complicated to correct, no change in textures, only geometry and animation.
For the various above shots/screens, ED did not forget about flapping hinge. The thing is, for optimization purpose, only user’s model has full calculations and visual representation of what’s physically happening. Other players and AI’s model got a simplified rotor 3D rotating object with fixed settings ( no individual blade pitch per revolution ( cyclic action ), orientation, swashplate and rods position etc ), this to save precious computing power.

jGIGMAi.png

That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t correct this “ fixed rotating rotor object “ with better coning and blade bending as default, as like you said, this is really eye hurting.
I remember the Mi-8 was the same before it was a full module, the AI model got the same kind of issues. You can recognize that in the loading screen where they used this old AI model to create an illustration from. Generally speaking, I hope they are going to take benefits from their new propeller rendering technology to draw better realistic looking rotating rotors and tail rotors ( these last spins as fast as a warbird prop, they should look like a disc with variations in width and effects according to actual pitch settings and RPM, exactly like they did on the warbirds since 2.7, awesome work by the way ! )

XJliDym.png

rBEENk4.png

I made some stuff in Blender to clearly illustrate all of that. Top is a perfectly straight rotor blade ( no twist nor droop ), bottom is the current Mi-24 blade ( actually an Mi-8 blade ) with no twist and unrealistic droop, and in the middle is exactly how it should be, twisted negatively from roots to tip, and physically correct droop ( most bending in the first quarter of blade length ).

NOwkg3y.png

Eagle Dynamics, please correct this 😉 ( @PilotMi8, @BIGNEWY )

Thanks for reading,

Hueyman

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

• ED Team

dear Hueyman!
we have known about this for a long time!)) thanks for being  non indifferent!)
The player has the right blades. But they are not correct in MP and bots.  This is a feature of the imaging technology of the blades in the DCS..

This will gradually be corrected ..

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

• BIGNEWY changed the title to Please correct before Open Beta
  • 9 months later...