{ ED INVESTIGATING } MFD Text and symbology messy with latest update

Foogle

I find it barely readable even without export. Luckily I know what is supposed to be where so I don't have much issues, but dear god, if this is how it's supposed to look, it is really awful. Font is either not scaled properly or it's too thick so that fine print turns up like a green blob of what's supposed to be text. Can't imagine how VR guys are reading this

Title says it all really.  The MFD txt is a bit of a car crash compared to how it was - the page titles are quite blurred and not sharp on the MFD's now.

I'd dread to think if i had to step back to the Rift S what this looks like also, even on high resolution VR its back to leaning in again.

How did this get missed - its a huge step backwards for functionality.  I'm guessing its something to do with SVG (to note something which the community hasn't pressed for) and if so then this should be nipped in the bud now and thrown out as its either not working as intended or it's just poor architecture that is making the product worse.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

The text is sure easier to see on, for example, EHSD page with map overlay (no need to decrease gain now), but actual readability of that text is decreased by thick black outline, which flickers slightly when pilot is moving his head relatively to MFD. There is no such effect on A-10C MFDs.

Couldn't agree more.  There is something very wrong here.  The map can be adjusted, but the new green font is not good.  Too dark and with an unnecessary stroke.

old.jpg

new.jpg

• Like 7

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

This is definitely an issue. Even on monitor 1440p resolution, when zoomed in on the MFDs I have trouble discerning what the text is saying. If I didn't know what it should have been spelled, I'd have hard time seeing that "STRS" or "AWLS" is anything but a green blob. Larger texts is better (Ground speed, cardinal directions) but everything else is just bad.

@RAZBAM_ELMO Please, look at this and try to bring it to the devs as this is not acceptable and I'm having hard time believing that someone thought this is OK. Also, if it's still WiP, than it shouldn't have been released in this state as now using MFDs is a pain. I've yet to test JDAMs after update, but I can imagine checking if the inputted coordinates on CAS page are correct will be a pain.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Foogle said:

As the title says, this was an issue in the F-18 and F-16 but ED was able to fix it.
No track file because it wont show you anything.

This makes much of the text unreadable, please see attached picture.

Screen_210127_2051542.png

That's odd, though not related to the same issue the below link does have a screen shot of another users export and all looks fine - have you any mods installed and/or maybe try to adjust the mfd resolution in the sim settings?

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

How can such issues make it past the closed beta ? I mean it is visible as soon as you start up the plane;

I don't mean to be rude but I just don't understand.

• Like 3

Kind regards,

Vince

PC:

i5-7300HQ@2,5GHz | nVidia GTX 1050 Ti | 8Gb RAM | 256GB SSD for Windows+DCS | Windows10

Modules:

Mirage2000C | AV-8B N/A | MiG-21Bis | F-5E | L-39 | Gazelle | FC3

Combined Arms | Supercarrier

NTTR | Persian Gulf

It was reported during testing, but sometimes there are much more high priority or important issues that the developers need to address first, in my case I have the MPCD's exported to another monitor and those displays are pin sharp, the map display is a little harder to read but the data on it can now be changed in colour to help readability.

I'm sorry, but 'more high priority' than being able to read the MPCDs?

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I only fly VR... MFDs unreadable... chocks unremovable... day/night switches reversed... I gave up... I'll come back in another 6 months 😞

• Like 3

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

4 hours ago, Aernov said:

The text is sure easier to see on, for example, EHSD page with map overlay (no need to decrease gain now), but actual readability of that text is decreased by thick black outline, which flickers slightly when pilot is moving his head relatively to MFD. There is no such effect on A-10C MFDs.

Agree. You can see more clearly the colors, but not the letters.

It was like going from a Rift S back to Rift CV1. Everything is mushy, unreadable and requires leaning your face 20 cm from the MFCD to get it readable.

Sure it looks nice from 20 cm distance, but how about testing it with the VR users first? You should not need to lean forward or use a zoom to get that text readable!

I think the fix could be that the black outline needs that the font is much thinner, so that lines and shapes becomes recognizable.

Personally I think that these MFCD's could be supported for VR use with a false background, like a A-10C has by default. So black blocked backgrounds. That of course would be optional completely in the module own special settings. So those who want that, could activate and enjoy from clarity in the buttons.

But now how to use MFCD's is with memory. You see "blobs at the edge of screen, it is the second from the top".

Edit, people go to check out the Harrier at night. Everything gets mushy and the map will beam at full brightness on your face regardless the night mode. Text becomes black and impossible to read. If you adjust brightness from knob, everything goes even darker so you can't read anything. The RED version of the EHSD is just red mushy blobs. Disabling the Map on EHSD and using a white color and then going for a Night mode helps slightly but still requires to leaning forward to read something from it.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

This might be ED issue as opposed to Razbam issue.  I was flying F15 at night and HUD, VSD and RWR was very hard to read on 1440 monitor.  Everything is so bright and mushed together.  Can't tell who's emitting on RWR.  

ED did something with either general font or brightness of the font, that's my guess.  

I would say that the colour map display is, globally, worse in VR with yesterday's release than it was before.

In 2D I think the colour map is more readable with the default green, or white text than it was before. All other colours are unreadable, particularly blue which was actually the best colour prior to this. Overall I'd much rather what we had before.

Just tried the Hornet. Hard to tell with that because the colour map symbology was always unreadable, and continues to be, plus you can't change its colour.

Edited by netizensmith

Could it be related to this?

• Improvement: MPCD converted to Stroke (SVG) symbology.

Might not be such an improvement, I think, that seems like a likely culprit.

As for the Hornet, I recall a real pilot saying they do turn the moving map off IRL, for the same reasons we do. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

As for the Hornet, I recall a real pilot saying they do turn the moving map off IRL, for the same reasons we do. 

I see complaints on here "How can Company X release the module with an error like this!?", well, they released a multi-million dollar actual aircraft with a moving map that can't actually be used so you can kinda see how that could happen.

No mods, and I'm not going to change my settings when every other module works fine, again, this has been fixed in other modules, as shown in this old F-16 screenshot. 

ORaxUU2.png%20

Edited by Foogle
Picture link changed

If I wasn't already familiar with the MPCDs most used OSBs and where they are, it would be absolutely awful. As it is, I can't even read what waypoint I have selected because the chosen font has SUCH poor boundaries. Respectfully, this is not a small issue. I would trade the new missiles added to the arsenal to have a readable MPCD again. 

Agreed - absolutely aweful! I really hope they revert to the previous font as the Harrier is a real favorite of mine. Do we think the fault lies with Razbam then? Or have ED done something? I would like to provide feedback to whoever is responsible in the hope that it can be resolved. Also not not too impressed with the new engine sound, although I suppose I will get used to it.

4 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

The map tiles itself does not add much at all to common operations when you have navigation computer and waypoints. And then when you have targets coordinates or visually acquired. The important part really is to see where your own troops are (overlay) via datalink, and then where is your waypoint and target designation.

The map becomes important only when you need to start navigate just with it. Or you need to designate target via the map using INS and MAP designation.

But we even have the old navigation digitized maps data and not more modern digital ones that offer more accurate details.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.