F16 Tutorials

treasure

Hi all, so far i have been spending my f16 time starting on runway and freeflight, canyon runs, all the beginner stuff and sorting out my hardware. so now its time to bite the bullet and learn all the detailed stuff, i want to put together  a list of all the main topics to research and practice.  so far i have detailed the cold startup, next will be landing.  can you provide your comments as to main aspects i should be learning that are specific to F16.  iam liking spudknockers videos as he seems to go into a bit of extra detail so ill be using his tutorials as a guide, open to other suggestions if you have  a favorite source of information.

Edited by treasure

On 1/29/2021 at 10:11 PM, treasure said:

Hi all, so far i have been spending my f16 time starting on runway and freeflight, canyon runs, all the beginner stuff and sorting out my hardware. so now its time to bite the bullet and learn all the detailed stuff, i want to put together  a list of all the main topics to research and practice.  so far i have detailed the cold startup, next will be landing.  can you provide your comments as to main aspects i should be learning that are specific to F16.  iam liking spudknockers videos as he seems to go into a bit of extra detail so ill be using his tutorials as a guide, open to other suggestions if you have  a favorite source of information.

Hey! When learning the F-16 there are a couple different approaches. For the "quick and dirty" stuff it really doesn't matter what you choose to study. Go watch some GR videos or some other tutorial channel, or read chucks guides or the DCS F-16 manual. However, if you're a maniac and want to actually learn how the F-16 works, and not just the correct order in which to press the minimum amount of switches to be able to get the thing stared you really have no other choice other than to read the 2.4 thousand pages of available documentation on the aircraft. Learning the aircraft like this will teach you everything there is to know, how the engine works, how the hydraulic system works. This really is how you reach the peak of what DCS has to offer, but it does require an extreme amount of patience and effort.
Now, what do I recommend doing? I think most people learn the minimums and never bother learning the super deeps of the aircraft, and I can't blame them honestly. If you really think you have what it takes to learn the F-16 to a high detail, and you're willing to fly this sim in a way you've never flow before I will highly recommend to at least attempt on learning the aircraft like this. In my experience once you've learned the minimums you won't ever continue learning.

In short, if you just want to have fun read chucks guides or the DCS F-16 manual or look up tutorials on things as you go. If you want to learn the F-16 to a high level you can contact me on discord: SpaceMonkey37#3590  And I'll tell you everything you need to know as to where to find documentation etc.
Have a safe flight!

12 hours ago, SpaceMonkey037 said:

In short, if you just want to have fun read chucks guides or the DCS F-16 manual or look up tutorials on things as you go. If you want to learn the F-16 to a high level you can contact me on discord: SpaceMonkey37#3590  And I'll tell you everything you need to know as to where to find documentation etc.
Have a safe flight!

Interesting...

Those documents are too much recent to link here?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Topo said:

Interesting...

Those documents are too much recent to link here?

Thanks!

Well, first of all ED doesn't want you linking those things here. But even if I could link them I don't think most would have any use of it as it's like handing you a book without teaching you how to read. You really much need to know how to read and understand the manuals as only having them won't help you much. I won't bother writing down all that stuff as it would be a total waist if there isn't any interest in that path either way. If you have any questions about it contact me on discord 🙂

Another approach to  consider is a MP group that is geared for helping you learnt the jet.  Do your research and find a group that is accepting new pilots and willing to work with you.  You will HAVE to do some self study though.  They can put you down a path on "what" to learn, execution will be on you though to self study and learn the systems/procedures/tactics.  Take youtube videos with a grain of salt.  You can find some great information and, utter BS as well..   

As a pilot your always learning

Be humble and learn there’s a lot of things the F-16 can do you just have to figure it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

The best way to learn the f16 is to pick an indidivual system and watch as many youtube videos as possible and maybe ask questions on this forum. For example when I first started I made a promise to myself that I was going to master the f16 and I knew this would be a long process.

I started same as you, free flights and canyon runs etc. Then combat

I started with air to air bvr. aim 120c and i watched all the tutorials, did some of the simple air to air missions that come with the f16 against the computer on easy level to familiaries myself with how it works, set up the buttons and get used to them. Then aim9 etc. I just stuck with that for a month or so and played in online servers and single player mode whenever i needed practice and make it almost second nature. Quick button presses and ability to use radar quickly is important and  comes with practice.

then I moved onto the harm missile. I set up a SA11 in mission editor and just flew that for a few hours until I was comforatble with it and understood it thoroughly. asked a lot of questions on the forum like is it better to go with the number that shows up on the rwr or the letter and diffference between track radar and search radar of these sams. I got my answers on this forum from very helpful members. You wana go for numbers first whenever possible.

Then I joined a squadron and just asked a lot of questions to people on discord whilst flying with them. dont be afraid to ask questions and get other peoples opinions and how they do things. Most people are very very happy to help. If you've done your homework, you'll find that other people are either doing it worse than you or same as you but hardly better than you. But you need to have practiced before getting used to the system, buttons you've assigned etc before you can feel that you know more than the next man. Even if you do know more, keep on taking on board what they are saying and doing because if they talk 90% jibberish, there is always a 10% chance theyl say something u didn't think of before and can include it in ur skills. I've learnt some of my skills from reletavelly new people on dcs. You always listen, take on board what the other dcs pilot is saying and never judge. Theres a lesson in everything and from everyone...and by talking...you may also help the other person as well.

After Harm, I moved onto ground targets with unguided bombs...same again...watched all the grim reaper, wagner videos and all the others i could find. Set up some simple tank targets in mission editor and just flew for a few hours until started becooming comforatble....asked querstions on this forum about things i didnt understand...one think i realised is that in each youtube video...you could watch a 10 min video but your question gets answered somewhere in 5 seconds of that 10 min video thats why its important to watch the videos closely and pay attention. After solo practice, I played on on an online server...picking up easy ground targets that don't fire back at you...practiced using the CCIP mode/ CCRP mode in the heat of the battle and it helps. Then moved onto targeting proper bases with other pilots.

Then I moved onto the targeting pod, repeated all the above etc. All this is over a month or so. Its good to pick a topic like aim 120c and just do that for a week. Then do aim 9 x and just do that for a week. Each weapon system just rinse it as much as you can. Once you are comfy with all....you can apply any of them in any given situation quickly and efficiently.

And if you feel overwhelmed and daunted by all that is to learn...dont be scared..Embrace the fear and say OKAY FINE THIS SEEMS HARD AND I FEEL LIKE I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO DO IT BUT THATS OKAY. LET ME JUST GO AHEAD AND DO IT ANYWAY. Dont fight the daunting feeling...its natural. embrace it and once you've become good at say the aim 120 c...you move on to the next one. ANd you can always revisit one of the systems you ve done before just to refresh your memory by going back to the basics and doing easy simple mission practice again. I still go back to the easy BVR mission that comes with the f16 if i need to try something for the aim 120 like high of boresite.

And remember....always have the mindset of a student. even if you've mastered something. Never get arrogant.

Oh yeah...and stick to one plane...you can fly others for fun but make a promise to your self that your going to put in the time and effort on one plane. Others sure you can fly here and there but dont put mental effort into trying to learn many planes at the same time. I fly huey for fun some times and know its basics etc but I wont dive into it in depth until I have completely mastered the f16. Its good to have another plane just for fun to mix it up for the times you just want something different.

Edited by Viciam1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Viciam1 said:

The best way to learn the f16 is to pick an indidivual system and watch as many youtube videos as possible and maybe ask questions on this forum. For example when I first started I made a promise to myself that I was going to master the f16 and I knew this would be a long process.

I started same as you, free flights and canyon runs etc. Then combat

I started with air to air bvr. aim 120c and i watched all the tutorials, did some of the simple air to air missions that come with the f16 against the computer on easy level to familiaries myself with how it works, set up the buttons and get used to them. Then aim9 etc. I just stuck with that for a month or so and played in online servers and single player mode whenever i needed practice and make it almost second nature. Quick button presses and ability to use radar quickly is important and  comes with practice.

then I moved onto the harm missile. I set up a SA11 in mission editor and just flew that for a few hours until I was comforatble with it and understood it thoroughly. asked a lot of questions on the forum like is it better to go with the number that shows up on the rwr or the letter and diffference between track radar and search radar of these sams. I got my answers on this forum from very helpful members. You wana go for numbers first whenever possible.

Then I joined a squadron and just asked a lot of questions to people on discord whilst flying with them. dont be afraid to ask questions and get other peoples opinions and how they do things. Most people are very very happy to help. If you've done your homework, you'll find that other people are either doing it worse than you or same as you but hardly better than you. But you need to have practiced before getting used to the system, buttons you've assigned etc before you can feel that you know more than the next man. Even if you do know more, keep on taking on board what they are saying and doing because if they talk 90% jibberish, there is always a 10% chance theyl say something u didn't think of before and can include it in ur skills. I've learnt some of my skills from reletavelly new people on dcs. You always listen, take on board what the other dcs pilot is saying and never judge. Theres a lesson in everything and from everyone...and by talking...you may also help the other person as well.

After Harm, I moved onto ground targets with unguided bombs...same again...watched all the grim reaper, wagner videos and all the others i could find. Set up some simple tank targets in mission editor and just flew for a few hours until started becooming comforatble....asked querstions on this forum about things i didnt understand...one think i realised is that in each youtube video...you could watch a 10 min video but your question gets answered somewhere in 5 seconds of that 10 min video thats why its important to watch the videos closely and pay attention. After solo practice, I played on on an online server...picking up easy ground targets that don't fire back at you...practiced using the CCIP mode/ CCRP mode in the heat of the battle and it helps. Then moved onto targeting proper bases with other pilots.

Then I moved onto the targeting pod, repeated all the above etc. All this is over a month or so. Its good to pick a topic like aim 120c and just do that for a week. Then do aim 9 x and just do that for a week. Each weapon system just rinse it as much as you can. Once you are comfy with all....you can apply any of them in any given situation quickly and efficiently.

And if you feel overwhelmed and daunted by all that is to learn...dont be scared..Embrace the fear and say OKAY FINE THIS SEEMS HARD AND I FEEL LIKE I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO DO IT BUT THATS OKAY. LET ME JUST GO AHEAD AND DO IT ANYWAY. Dont fight the daunting feeling...its natural. embrace it and once you've become good at say the aim 120 c...you move on to the next one.

And remember....always have the mindset of a student. even if you've mastered something. Never get arrogant.

Very good explanation of the learning process of most dcs players. Problem is, you will never get any better than the best person in your community. Most people learn by doing. You really shouldn't be doing that though. The F-16 is a super complex aircraft that has through years of testing been made to perfection. NOTHING is random in this plane, everything has some function behind it, some a lot more complicated that others. If you really wish to "master" the F-16, there is only one way to do it. Read the real flight manuals and talk to people with a lot of experience reading the real flight manuals. They are a handful, about 2400 pages of handful ness, so you will definitely need someone to hold your hand through the experience, but it's well worth it. Of course mastering something depends on your definition of what it means to master something.  For me mastering something is knowing something to an extent where you can operate the thing in question like it was meant to be operated IRL. In my eyes, if you don't know the F-16 good enough to be able to fly it IRL then you haven't mastered it ( I mean FLY it, not take off without crashing).

In short, do what Viciam said, and IF you want to master the F-16 then don't do what he said. Have a safe flight!

Edited by SpaceMonkey037

31 minutes ago, SpaceMonkey037 said:

Very good explanation of the learning process of most dcs players. Problem is, you will never get any better than the best person in your community. Most people learn by doing. You really shouldn't be doing that though. The F-16 is a super complex aircraft that has through years of testing been made to perfection. NOTHING is random in this plane, everything has some function behind it, some a lot more complicated that others. If you really wish to "master" the F-16, there is only one way to do it. Read the real flight manuals and talk to people with a lot of experience reading the real flight manuals. They are a handful, about 2400 pages of handful ness, so you will definitely need someone to hold your hand through the experience, but it's well worth it. Of course mastering something depends on your definition of what it means to master something.  For me mastering something is knowing something to an extent where you can operate the thing in question like it was meant to be operated IRL. In my eyes, if you don't know the F-16 good enough to be able to fly it IRL then you haven't mastered it ( I mean FLY it, not take off without crashing).

In short, do what Viciam said, and IF you want to master the F-16 then don't do what he said. Have a safe flight!

Valid point about reading the actual manual to really master it and yes everyones definition of mastering would be different. For me...I dont need to master it beyond my ability to desttroy targets, complete missions and do that as efficiently and enjoyable as possible. I dont want to master it beyond that because it doesn't provide any real life benefits like financial gain or productivty. For me it is a fun hobby that i want to be good at and thus I learn as much as I can about what gets the job done to my satisfaction level.

If I was making money from it...id read the manual basically.

Saying that...if i get stuck on a topic about a system...I'll have a quick look at manual. But am not going to read the 2400 pages like my life depended on it...and I think most people on DCS are like me. But I can surely appreciate the 10% who really do read the manual and go ALL in. Its not for me but I can see why they do that. For me, I'm happy with my way of doing things for the level on DCS I want to reach. I'm not a real life f16 pilot where I need to excel in the air force. Its a simulation that I just want to play well.

Saying all that I like how you say the f16 has been perfected and it is complex and nothing happens without a reason inside its functionality. I like this. You may have convinced me to dig deeper into it.

Edited by Viciam1

56 minutes ago, Viciam1 said:

Valid point about reading the actual manual to really master it and yes everyones definition of mastering would be different. For me...I dont need to master it beyond my ability to desttroy targets, complete missions and do that as efficiently and enjoyable as possible. I dont want to master it beyond that because it doesn't provide any real life benefits like financial gain or productivty. For me it is a fun hobby that i want to be good at and thus I learn as much as I can about what gets the job done to my satisfaction level.

If I was making money from it...id read the manual basically.

Saying that...if i get stuck on a topic about a system...I'll have a quick look at manual. But am not going to read the 2400 pages like my life depended on it...and I think most people on DCS are like me. But I can surely appreciate the 10% who really do read the manual and go ALL in. Its not for me but I can see why they do that. For me, I'm happy with my way of doing things for the level on DCS I want to reach. I'm not a real life f16 pilot where I need to excel in the air force. Its a simulation that I just want to play well.

Saying all that I like how you say the f16 has been perfected and it is complex and nothing happens without a reason inside its functionality. I like this. You may have convinced me to dig deeper into it.

A pleasure to see your perspective on it. For me (neither an F-16 pilot) this is a great hobby. I find it a lot more rewarding to fly like you would IRL, rather than this... modern warthunder that I think most people enjoy (I played like this too before I realised how complex military aviation really is). However, flying for realism has it's downsides, not going to hide that. I've easily spent way more time reading and studying manuals than I have flown the aircraft. I think I have about.. 5 hours of total flight time since around march-april last year when I really began digging into manuals. Since then I have always had a manual open that I would read in whenever I had time, probably racked up a couple hundred hours of studying. I am just now beginning to feel more comfortable with the aircraft and how to operate it that I might be able to complete a very basic point to point flight within the next couple months. I haven't even skimmed the surface of what DCS really has to offer. It is only now that I truly realise how amazing this sim really is. In all honesty I will probably never get to a level where I will engage with other targets using live munitions, but that is simply the way of the "milsimmer". It's not pretty. Now, I am in the top of the top when it comes to realism, I know that most people only go that far with procedures etc.
Anyway, this type of flying definitely isn't for everyone. I treat the sim as a hobby, when others watch TV, I study air traffic laws. When you know that you do something like a real pilot would it makes it just a hundred times more fun.

In short, treat the sim as a hobby and don't stop learning and in a couple years you might know things you don't even know exist right now. I wish you all good luck on your aviation adventures, and have a safe flight!

9 hours ago, Viciam1 said:

Okay reading manuals is all good...but u need to play dcs and just fly. u can read as much as u want but theres nothing like doing it. Just hop on to a multiplayer server and do it. ul learn much more than just reading.

no, for me the hole point is flying realistically. If I don't fly realistically I don't fly at all, and it is for that reason that I prefer to read and study the aircraft until I know how to realistically operate the aircraft. These things are not possible to learn by doing. Flying MP won't help me learn the aircraft, it will only be a time waister. And for some that is all they need, but for me I'd rather study than fly around pointlessly.

Things you need to know about the Viper:

- How TMS, DMS, CMS and comm switch work (target management, display management, countermeasures and radio)

- How the two detents on the trigger work and that the first detent will trigger the laser

- AOA and the correct flare on touchdown, aerobraking and how to touchdown with "crabbing"

Those things are hard to find if you are starting with the F-16, but are the fundamentals of mastering the aircraft.

For procedures, get the F-16 V5 manual, the MLU manual and the HAF F-16 manual- all three of them available to the public in a quick google search.

And start flying MP with someone together. Mastering the plane is one thing, but a lot of procedures and the whole purpose of all that training is working together in a team. Also, if you are new to the plane, experienced flyers (there are plenty for the F-16) will help you to get started.
If you know the viggen, we could do some kind of joint venture... 🤣

You can learn every detail, but most prefer to get started with the plane before going deeper. Few go the other way around.

Basically, switchology in the viper explained in a hurry:

- TMS is the target management switch. Up locks targets, down drops targets. Left / right will cycle modes in most cases, most notably long right will change to TWS in A-A mode and is intended to cycle through targets (which doesn't work so nice right now in TWS). There are short presses and long presses doing different things in some modes. Like TMS right short in RWS will cycle a TTS target, while long goes to TWS. TMS left in A-A mode will do an IFF interrogation.

- DMS is the data management switch and allows you to cycle through the three selected MFD pages in the lower middle OSB buttons on the left and right side (DMS left will cycle left MFD, DMS right will cycle right). You can map each preselection for each mode by pressing the middle down three OSB and calling any MFD page. DMS down will toggle SOI (sensor of interest), forgot what up does (man, muscle memory > real brain). Choose preselections wisely for each mode, and you won't have to mess around with those in action.

- Dogfight override will switch into a combined AIM-9 / gun mode, keeping the original mode

- Missile override will switch to A-A with slammers, keeping the original mode

- Dogfight / MRM override cancel will return to the original mode selected before the override was active. This comes in handy when you drop bombs, have everything set up but have to scan the sky for bogeys from time to time (or dropped your bombs)- switch modes with the HOTAS, not with those buttons

- CMS is the counter measure switch. Down and right will enable and disable the jammer some day or so, up drops the currently selected chaff / flare program

- comm switch up: UHF transmit, down VHF transmit, right is Datalink transmit iirc (might be different on the link 16 in DCS)

- Gun trigger has two detents, the first one will start recording and fire the laser in A/G TGP (lase 8 seconds before impact), auto lase is not there yet. Needless to say the second detent fires the gun

- On landing, put the flight path marker (FPM) at the runway threshold, 2.5 to 3° glideslope, adjust AOA so that you get a green, maybe yellow indicator left of the HUD. Gently apply a little power and pull back to flare, touch down gently. Keep the nose 13° up after touchdown until ~90-100kts. When nose is down, apply wheelbrakes and nose wheel steering if necessary.

- And don't forget to cycle through the coordinates and press "Enter" on longitude and latitude during a ramp start...

- Pro tip: Map the TGP zoom to a stick axis and the pinky switch to any of those buttons which will switch between NORM and EXP. And map radar elevation to another axis.

• Thanks 1