Blockhaus d'Éperlecques

Northstar98

Hi Everyone,

I've found an issue with the Blockhaus d'Éperlecques, located roughly 10km NNW of Saint Omer.

At the moment on the Channel Map, the forest clearing and road to the facility are present, but instead of there being the large bunker, there's just number of generic buildings.

This site would've been pretty important, as these were key targets of the Allied Operation Crosswbow bombings against the Nazi V-weapon program (the bombing campaign itself used the P-47, B-17 and Mosquito) - both sites being planned V-2/A-4 launch facilities.

Here's what the site looks like at present IRL:  

gCoPqWW.png

And here's what the same site looks like in DCS:

0S3ut9o.png

jr1ZgO8.png

And here's a diagram of the planned site (in my opinion, if it were to come it would be better to have it in its planned configuration, which would allow for both operation crossbow style missions, and what-if missions, I'm obviously not expecting there to be a full interior; empty tunnels/rooms at best, if that)):

mAj38b9.png

Spoiler

Key:

1. Fortified train station for missile and supply delivery.  
  2. LOX storage 
  3. Transit Halls
  4. Servicing/Preparation halls for V-2/A-4 SRBM
  5. LOX production facility
  6. Transit Tunnels w. anti-blast chicanes
  7. Launch Pads for V-2/A-4 SRBM
  8. Launch Control Centre
  9. Standard Gauge Railway leading to the Calais-Saint-Omer railway line

The other major site is La Coupole near Wizernes, just south of Saint-Omer, this isn't present on the DCS map at all, and the elevation mesh seems a little off. But I'll make a separate wishlist for that one.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

This is the same for anything that isn't specifically modelled.  You can do a scenery removal and stick some of the uglier 3D models in there shuffle things around and hey presto its more than convincing. All the construction materials there for when they were building the LOX site.

image.png

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

6 hours ago, Pikey said:

This is the same for anything that isn't specifically modelled.  You can do a scenery removal and stick some of the uglier 3D models in there shuffle things around and hey presto its more than convincing. All the construction materials there for when they were building the LOX site.

image.png

That's better, sure (though its not like there's a high bar or anything, and does scenery removal work on MP?). 

But IMO though, it is far away from being "more than convincing" based on diagrams and IRL reconnaissance photos. It's kinda like making a missing airfield by removing objects (that shouldn't even be there in the first place) and sticking a FARP helipad down... Better? Sure, but really not by much. 

And trying to do this for the La Coupole site to the south is most likely impossible, and that was more developed.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2021 at 3:11 PM, Northstar98 said:

does scenery removal work on MP

it doesnt, even in singleplayer it works only sometimes (bug).

i have seen some tricks people pull off with putting in farps, as farps automatically remove trees around, but i havent tested it myself (yet).

• Like 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580