Cockpit familiarisation from CasmoTV

Morrov

• Morrov changed the title to Cockpit familiarisation from CasmoTV

3 control sticks in front cockpit? 

Looks like we will need to many buttons and axis

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

13 minutes ago, ebabil said:

3 control sticks in front cockpit? 

Looks like we will need to many buttons and axis

The amount of buttons we'll need to bind is what makes me not that excited for the Apache

It's fine when fixed wing need a lot of binding, you can let go of the controls for a second and hit some keyboard buttons if you run out of other hardware switches.

On the other hand, letting go of the cyclic is generally not a great idea.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 6:46 PM, Morrov said:

The amount of buttons we'll need to bind is what makes me not that excited for the Apache

It's fine when fixed wing need a lot of binding, you can let go of the controls for a second and hit some keyboard buttons if you run out of other hardware switches.

On the other hand, letting go of the cyclic is generally not a great idea.

The Apache does have some autopilot modes, but the sheer amount of stuff on hand controllers is quite worrisome.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

4 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

The Apache does have some autopilot modes, but the sheer amount of stuff on hand controllers is quite worrisome.

Yeah, I already struggle with the amount of easily accesible buttons in normal fighters, this is gonna be a really difficult one

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Phantom453 said:

Wow.  If Thrustmaster ever do the AH-64 HOTAS, they're going to be like $1,500.00 each

It won't be TM, that would require them to add more budget to their engineering department than their marketing department! 😉

If anybody it will be from a company with a name that starts with 'V'.  In the medium term, Virpil are probably most likely; they already have announced their plans to sell a UH1 and a KA-50 collective (with some nice accompanying pictures). That said the Apache collective is a little epic! 😄

VKB may do a collective sometime in the future but lets not hold our breath as they are utter perfectionists and they rightfully take their time.  Mind you the collective is conceptually about the simplest control peripheral other than rudder pedals so they might well be quick about it.  That said, they're also likely to go Russian before Western.

Question: so is it safe to assume the ah64D is going to be more hotas reliant than the a10c? 

If so will there be that much more hotas functions or it's still gonna stay pretty similar hotas workload wise is combat missions ? I mean, from what I see in the a10c, you've got to select the screen you want, then slew the tgp, zoom, and mark it as a spi (and point track). 

Then you use your guided weapons (slewing agm's to your spi) and voilà. 

Does the ah64D have the same procedure for acquiring and shooting down targets or is it totally different/more complicated ? 

Edited by notproplayer3

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

34 minutes ago, notproplayer3 said:

Question: so is it safe to assume the ah64D is going to be more hotas reliant than the a10c? 

If so will there be that much more hotas functions or it's still gonna stay pretty similar hotas workload wise is combat missions ? I mean, from what I see in the a10c, you've got to select the screen you want, then slew the tgp, zoom, and mark it as a spi (and point track). 

Then you use your guided weapons (slewing agm's to your spi) and voilà. 

Does the ah64D have the same procedure for acquiring and shooting down targets or is it totally different? 

Short answer: yes, pretty much the same. The difference comes with how you actually do that and WHO does it. 

long answer: Target engagements can either be off of what you are looking at or a target point you designate. You determine which acquisition source you are using (TADS, a target point, etc). Setting your weapon profile will be a little more involved, but not by much. In laymen's terms, if you want to attack a target which you do not see (behind cover or in defilade) you would use a different profile for missiles (low or high trajectory) compared to actually seeing a target (direct).  

The HOTAS controls for the apache differ off which crew station you are in. If you are a back seater, most of the hotas stuff is for engine/stores stuff, symbology, selecting a sight, or which weapon you are wanting to use. They have some limitations in the backseat however, like you can't use the TADS as a sight since the front seater has the TEDAC. As for the back seater, you have all the same controls as the back seat (in regards to the collective and cyclic) but with the addition of the TEDAC. The TEDAC allows you to control the TADS and all of its cool functions. There is obviously more to it then that but I wouldn't worry about a lot of the HOTAS controls. There are some controls that you won't need to map for a simulation because they are based around emergency situations, unless of course that is your thing. Check this thread out, I covered what all the buttons and switches do

Edited by vigilante87
  • Like 2