Virpil CM3 throttle – setting up detents and comparison with CM2

imacken

Thanks. Just double click on the axis in the Axis Tab of the software, and you'll see the DZ values there to adjust.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Absolutely brilliant post!  Gold mine of information here--would not have been able to set up my detents without it.  As you said, using the 0% to a button for the idle/off is soooo much more efficient/practical/clean.  Thank you for the time/effort you put into this.  The whole thread should be a sticky.

Really glad it helped!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Good question. I didn't really make it clear in the OP. I have edited it now to say:

'I have successfully configured 12-15 modules this way.  (The only one that didn’t work was the A-10C.  That requires a button for OFF and START.  On that, I just used the defined physical buttons 127 and 128 as START and the 0% buttons as STOP. This is a little annoying, having to use 2 button slots just for one module, so you could just use the 0% button + modifier in DCS instead).'

The buttons 127 and 128 are purely for the A-10C module, which, I guess because of its age, doesn't work with only one binding for off and on.  As I said, that is a little annoying as it uses up 2 slots. You could just use a modifier + OFF for START to avoid this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Imacken.
I seem to not being able to configure detents jn dcs. Also to add I am completely noob in the virpil software and hardware.
I installed warthog stile detents for idle and the push through detents for afterburner.
When I try the saturation stuff, what happens is that when i am at the detents I am in full afterburner.
I tried every saturation value from 72% to 99% without luck.
Obviously I am missing something as I just received the throttle and I could have done something wrong.
But in the virpil software all seems to be as in your instructions in the first post (i had to do a little bit of research as the instructions for the virpil software are not noob friendly, but in the end I managed to find all the settings you mentioned).

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

So, just to be clear.  With no adjustment to the X saturation, you have AB fully on at the detent? That sounds like a calibration issue.

Can you post a screenshot of your DCS Axis Tune for the throttle.

No with no saturation i have afterburners before the detents and full afterburner at the end.
Also i can see for both throttles the full travel whn 100% saturation is used

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

That's what I mean, at the detents, with no adjustments, you have AB on.

Can you post a screenshot of your DCS Axis Tune for a throttle?

That's what I mean, at the detents, with no adjustments, you have AB on.
Can you post a screenshot of your DCS Axis Tune for a throttle?

Yes surely I will do that when back home.
Yes I have ab on at the detents but not full ab (without adjustments)

@imackenWith your method I've been able to successfully do the following:

I'm using your suggested Classic physical detents at their respective maximum positions. Ie the forward detent all the way forward and the back detent all the way to the back.

My virpil software min / max % to physical detents are 5% and 78%

I'm able to tune the F18 to the physical detent for afterburner. Push past the detent, i get afterburner.  For me F18 is Deadzone 4, X Saturation 99

- you might have your forward detent not full forward compared to me? Not sure why there is much difference between our configs.

- are you using separate left and right throttle control? I am, maybe that's the difference.

I was also able to tune the Harrier to operate within both detents for 0-100% throttle. I didn't find it necessary  to push past a detent in this aircraft.

For harrier Deadzone is 5 and Saturation 75

But with the Mig29 FC3, the X saturation doesn't seem to work the same. Using separate left and right engine throttle. I might be thinking this is why I'm having an issue. I'll have to test this with single throttle control.

For Mig29:

Deadzone seems to set how close to the idle position is relative to the Virpil throttle throw. For example if I set a higher deadzone the throttle doesn't touch the physical detent before it reaches idle.

X Saturation seems to only adjust the rate at which the throttle moves in game to 100%. For example if i set two different X saturations for left and right throttle, The throttle axis tuned with the lower X saturation value seems to shorten the in game throttle movement to 100%.

I cant get a afterburner to line up with the physical detents with any setting. 

Maybe the separate throttle control X saturation works differently?

Maybe FC3 X saturation also has different function.

What is the X saturation supposed to do? Maybe that's why I'm a little confused here...

Edited by JIGGAwest
edit

Hmm, interesting. I use dual throttle control, and I have my detents fully forward and back so that doesn’t explain the differences. 

I must admit I’m struggling to see how you can have the Hornet set at 99% as that is more or less full throw. The AB should kick in well before that. 

The Harrier doesn’t have an AB, so, yes, that operates up to the detent for 100%. 

I’m afraid I’ve never tried any FC3 aircraft, so I can’t comment on that. I might give it a try over the weekend. 

I've edited the OP to include a method of getting the A-10C to behave the same as all others for the IDLE/STOP detent.

• Like 1

Yep, Jesse always comes up with the goods!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

*edit*

NVM I got it to work! 😇

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
Had some issues but managed to fix them
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 1 year later...

Thank you so much for this guide I will be setting up my detents today and this info has helped tremendously. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

1 hour ago, Double Dutch said:

They changed the software, where you first could enter the axis and the range and assign a button, there is no space to assign the button anymore 😞

Any suggestion how to do that now?

It’s the same except that you can’t define the button number. Auto assigned now.