Gun convergence?

JimBo*

600 yards for P-51, I believe same for P-47. 600m for German aircraft. Those are all per manuals.

Range on the sight means target range for the/your calculations, just that.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

15 minutes ago, Hunter Joker said:

I know the gunsight meaning, I was talking about gun convergence... 🙂

I found that P-47 and P-51 normal gun converrgence was in the range of 1000/1200 yards

The chart says "range in feet", though. 1000-1200 feet, 333-400 yards. I mistook my previous number, it's half  600 in dislexic 🤦🏽‍♂️ .

S!

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Current convergence on the P-47 is way too far. Probably OK for ground attack, but makes the guns half as lethal in a dogfight.

Convergence should be a setting that you can choose through the rearming screen. Yes I know in reality it was a lengthy process to change, but since online you can’t set it before spawning, this is a reasonable compromise.

• Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

I really used to complain about the convergences in these birds, but quite honestly I have gotten used to it. There has been many threads on here arguing about it, and I posted in those as well. I believe you can change the convergence in the .lua files if you really feel the need, but unsure if this breaks your game for multiplayer.

The gun pattern for the 51 is maybe not pinpoint effectiveness, but it does llow to get rounds on target rather easily at most ranges. After flying jets with massive vertical convergences it seems pretty much a non-issue for me personally, and I was pretty vocal with my complaints in the past haha!

Fire only at close range, and only when your opponent is properly in your sights.

-Hauptmann Oswald Boelcke, Jasta 2

Problem with very short gun converge point is that, efficiency of the guns is much less linear.

For shorter shots as well for longer shots bullets density decrease rapidly. 

I think that factory guns settings is overall best. 

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 7 months later...

On 9/7/2021 at 9:27 AM, flygav said:

so there is no way to change the convergence? 

Apparently there is, but these guys aren't talking.

On 2/2/2021 at 7:01 AM, Nealius said:

For what it's worth, I'm having great success in the P-51 setting the gun sight to 1200ft, as documentation also shows convergence set to 1000~1200 just like the Jug.

On 2/2/2021 at 7:58 AM, grafspee said:

Problem with very short gun converge point is that, efficiency of the guns is much less linear.

For shorter shots as well for longer shots bullets density decrease rapidly. 

I think that factory guns settings is overall best. 

On 2/2/2021 at 10:36 AM, Hunter Joker said:

Exactly, I set range to 1000/1100 and the shots land exactly all in the centre.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Manual provides 2 range values for N-9 gun sight this is 250 and 300 yards.

y21Exbc.png

But K-14 gun sight has only single option

2JgmrT2.jpeg

It is very clear that gun settings got change a lot, in N-9 case outer gun was firing high in K-14 case outer guns are firing low.

So some modification were made not only how far but also where they aim.

Changing converge point is not something like cranking one screw, it is quite complex process.

Only thing which ground crew can change from manual point of view is shot elevation to correct for expected G loads during fight for better nose visibility

This chart is used for this

jHBoxWg.jpeg

But converge point remain the same.

That would be pretty nice if we could have this as option.

Manual provide set by step instructions how to change gun sight elevation in use of chart 46

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

My statement generated a misunderstandig. I stated that "I set the range" but obviously I mean the range on gunsight, so probably the gun convergence are set at this range. With adjusting the range of the gunsight to the same of gun convergence (fixed in DCS or at least I think that is fixed) I get a sort of reminder of the right distance to engage. If the target was closer or farer than this reference I known that I will need to change aimpoint to avoid shots that land too apart (first case) or crossed (second).

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

• Thanks 1