Giant concentric ripples in Persian Gulf VR

Entreaken1

Good evening. On the PG map in VR, I get the following repeating pattern of concentric ripples throughout the via F2 screen. It is also sometimes visible from the cockpit view. I've noticed this when flying the Hornet and Tomcat, but have not checked other aircraft for the issue.  I'm using an Oculus Rift S headset. I can provide PC details if that is needed to troubleshoot.  This has happened in multiple sessions on multiplayer. I am using a shader mod so I will disable and report if that changes anything. 

Screen_210127_230203.png

Screen_210127_230157.png

Screen_210113_214733.png

dcs.log

Edited by Entreaken1

I've had it on occasion as well (Rift S, no shader mod). I'll try to save a track next time this happens, I assume it is a combination of weather + wind maybe?

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

I have seen this in the Syria map as well.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

I can indeed confirm from my end that this was in VR.  Oculus Rift CV1

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Flappie said:

Hi @Entreaken1. Do you still experience this bug? If so, can you please provide a track?

I also said I would supply a track. Just got one now. Basically, I'm not sure if this is as visible as it was. I have certainly seen it more than I had managed to get in this track, but I have captured it. I think it is mostly visible in the far away parts of the sea.

I had to add the preset "clouds and wind" to get this to show properly. Basically its a short track (f18 + caucaus), starts at 6000ish feet and a left bank climb to around 35000. Circles first appear at around 17 and then quite visible by 30+. Not as prominent as what was first shown in the picture but visible to me at least.

Quest 2, not viewed track in 2D. Also I did not try this in F2 yet, could be worth a go to see if this makes a difference. I once saw it really badly when following harpoons on a low flight(in vr)

Update. Just tried watching this track in 2D. Couldn't see them. Odd.

Wave Patterns.trk

Edited by Hoirtel

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

Thank you, @Hoirtel.

I'm not VR equiped, but I was curious: would I be able to reproduce this bug playing your track? The answer is no. Would this bug be VR only?

No I couldn't in 2D either. They were not the most prominent here but visible the higher I went. I'll try to get a better track but probably not visible in 2d either. 

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing this in 2D 
Reddit post:

With particularly bad white cap textures too.

Replication show me how it looks to you. For those wanting to see if they can replicate:

• Default editor unless stated

• Map: Gulf

• Jet: F/A-18 at 20,000ft

• Weather 25-30kts at 33ft

Shaders have been deleted to no effect.

Edited by Mike64

2 hours ago, Mike64 said:

Seeing this in 2D 
Reddit post:

With particularly bad white cap textures too.

Replication show me how it looks to you. For those wanting to see if they can replicate:

• Default editor unless stated

• Map: Gulf

• Jet: F/A-18 at 20,000ft

• Weather 25-30kts at 33ft

Shaders have been deleted to no effect.

There they are. I've been trying to replicate these again and couldn't I was beginning to wonder if it was fixed, the track I attached they were kind of tentative. I have seen them this clearly previously. Interesting you have had this in 2D and near to high detail. Not sure that has been recorded before. Dev's really need a trackfile for this, I may try and reproduce. I'm sure the wind has something to do with it. 

Just tried to reproduce this using my Vive headset and without, and I'm not getting anything. Water was on high, mission settings were as set in the Reddit post. One interesting thing was that the white foam disappeared in VR for me. Was still very windy though.

Screen_210318_013709.jpg

Screen_210318_015026.png

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, i5 6600K @3.5ghz, GTX 1070, 16GB ram, Windows 10 Home x64 https://pcpartpicker.com/b/JH9J7P

Modules: A-10C, FC3, F/A-18C, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, AJS-37, AV-8BNA, M-2000C, MiG-21, F-14A/B, JF-17, F-16C, Supercarrier

Maps: Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf

Awaiting: DCS: F-15E