Veteran DCS user seeking module guidance

SmirkingGerbil

I am an A-10C and II guy. My main module and experience. All modes pretty competent. Weapons employment, usage of TGP, CDU, waypoint modification, weapons profile tweaking, radio setup, working with JTAC etc. Full TM HOTAS system, pedals, and I enjoy using JTAC too in single player. I have even suffered through AAR - but so far PIO is my nemesis.

But, I want to branch out. Use my A-10CII knowledge to "ramp up" in another module. Main interest, something that has decent ground attack but mainly reach to deal with long range REDFOR Anti Aircraft missile systems. I have the Harrier (lots of love lately), the F/A-18 Hornet, and the F-16. I haven't really flown any of these modules to any degree except the F/A-18 and probably only 3 hours in it.

Which of those three would allow me to feel at home so to speak, and use my A-10 knowledge overlap to get up to speed fairly quickly from the communities perspective? Not worried about BFM and BVR engagements (that can come later) more focused on ranged/weaponry to deal with REDFOR AA missile systems, and shipping as a nice second.

I have a lot of pent up anger as a Hawg driver in regards to REDFOR missile systems, anything "SA" needs some payback - time for me to branch out!

Thanks in advance.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

As im sure many others are about to say - F18 will be your next module investigating the same level of commitment.  Its a good time as it gets nearer to feature complete.

• Like 3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

The F-18 is definitely the most flexible currently, the only weapons capability it lacks when compared to the A-10C/CII is the gun (of course), CBU-100 series, APKWS, and Laser JDAM. It can be fairly fuel efficient depending on how you fly it. The F-16 on the other hand shares the stick of the A-10 and does have the CBU-97 which is an unguided version of the CBU-103 I think. It is a better performing fighter than the F-18 but lacks the range and flexibility. Eventually the F-16 will have HTS pod and should be a pretty good SEAD platform. At the moment the F-18 is a better choice in A/G. Though personally I like the sense of nimbleness and power of the F-16. Fly both.

Edited by ak12546
  • Like 2

Modules

Combined Arms, Super Carrier, A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, F-14, ,F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, P-51, Su-25, Su-27, MiG-21, MiG-29, Ajs-37, UH-1H, Ka-50, Sa-342

Terrains

Nevada Test and Training Range, The Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944, Syria

I am somewhat in the same boat.  My passion is rotors, but A-10 holds a special place in my heart.  I have the Hornet and am in a slow process of learning it.  It carries 4 HARMs for those pesky Tors (which are a real bear to the A-10).  Tried the Viper in free to fly but just didn't connect with it.  Same with the Harrier.  I chose the Hornet over the Viper simply because I like the Hornet more.  I believe the Hornet is better for SEAD simply because the module is closer to feature complete.  I am not sure where the Hornet and Viper line up for SEAD when both are feature complete.  

Or you could go Viggen and rip along at 50 meters going mach 1.5.  Carries glide cluster munitions, Mavericks, rockets, and other things.  SAMs can't hit you at low alt high speed.  Do SEAD with speed.  

• Like 1

ASUS X570 Plus TUF MOBO, Ryzen 3900X CPU, EVGA 2080 Super GPU, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD

All,

Thank you very much for your input. I really appreciate this.

Based on the MFD and stick commonality, I am going to focus on the F-16, understanding it is not feature complete, but I am an original Kickstarter for DCS Warbirds so patience is one of my strong suits!

Also, as I notch up on the F-16, will branch over into the F-18 more than likely anyway.

Thanks for your time, detail, and suggestions.

JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Hypervipersniper for the win! Vipers are awesome. The view, the speed, it's all so good. The TPOD is rough as F compared to the one in the hog. You also get far less time to work it, so yeah. Perhaps it'll get better over time as the module matures. My preferred AG weapon in the viper is a stick of six retards. Just make like a viggen, but without the compressor stalls.

• Like 1

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

F-16 will probably have the most systems commonality being an Air Force plane. F-18, being Navy, has a really different ''approach'' to the UI and HOTAS arrangements.

• Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

On 1/28/2021 at 11:42 AM, SmirkingGerbil said:

I am an A-10C and II guy. My main module and experience. All modes pretty competent. Weapons employment, usage of TGP, CDU, waypoint modification, weapons profile tweaking, radio setup, working with JTAC etc. Full TM HOTAS system, pedals, and I enjoy using JTAC too in single player. I have even suffered through AAR - but so far PIO is my nemesis.

But, I want to branch out. Use my A-10CII knowledge to "ramp up" in another module. Main interest, something that has decent ground attack but mainly reach to deal with long range REDFOR Anti Aircraft missile systems. I have the Harrier (lots of love lately), the F/A-18 Hornet, and the F-16. I haven't really flown any of these modules to any degree except the F/A-18 and probably only 3 hours in it.

Which of those three would allow me to feel at home so to speak, and use my A-10 knowledge overlap to get up to speed fairly quickly from the communities perspective? Not worried about BFM and BVR engagements (that can come later) more focused on ranged/weaponry to deal with REDFOR AA missile systems, and shipping as a nice second.

I have a lot of pent up anger as a Hawg driver in regards to REDFOR missile systems, anything "SA" needs some payback - time for me to branch out!

Thanks in advance.

I would say the F-16 would be the closest in terms of doctrine and systems.  USAF to USAF, rather than making the jump to Navy terminology, systems integrations etc.  Especially since the A-10 and F-16 share most of the same HOTAS on the stick anyway.  

Having said that, I'm enjoying the Hornet mainly because it's more mature than the F-16 at the moment and it's closer to what I'm used to flying IRL than the viper is.  Plus I don't particularly like the side stick, just feels wrong to me.  YMMV

• Like 1

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

REDFOR AA systems in DCS are not a threat. They are 20-30 years older than the DCS F-18 and its weapons. Newer systems are not in DCS and ED is not planning on adding them anytime soon.

If youre looking for capability, use the F-18. However, you will not get to use a lot of the unique weapons and systems due to way more advanced weapons and systems making them irrelevant.

Examples: HARM and AGM-65 for A/G (JDAM and JSOW are the only weapons you will end up using), BRAA/Air to Air waypoints and AZ/EL for A/A (SA page and JHMCS integration of Link-16 eliminate their purpose)

I attached a tacview file showing how a single F-18 can eliminate any redfor opposition within a few minutes with no support.

TLDR: Use the F-18, though coming from the Harrier and A-10C i believe you will find it too easy (2010 vs 1970s equipment) and get bored of it very quickly.

1xF-18vsRussia.acmi

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 12:46 PM, Hawkeye_UK said:

As im sure many others are about to say - F18 will be your next module investigating the same level of commitment.  Its a good time as it gets nearer to feature complete.

+1

The latest release gained the Jammer the advanced dispenser programs,and advanced ground radar modes, making it really close to feature-complete.

Edited by Rex
  • Like 1

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

Thanks all, I am focusing on the F-16. I have gone through the startup, taxi, landing etc. Wag's training videos, and there is a lot I am used to. Some things not so much, like the startup seems bizarre to me! WAT! No APU . . . sacrilege!! Plus bringing INS and nav systems online is much easier in the F-16.

However, doing a shallow dive, hitting 900, and pulling vertical and going from 2000 MSL to 30K feet in full afterburner in less than 30 seconds is, intoxicating, as a hawg mainline driver.

• Like 1