Disabling modules

Cooter

Quick question, if I disable some modules(I got 26 including terrains) will that help to speed up load times? I need to upgrade my PC but until then I have to settle with what I have. I bought this gaming PC at Best Buy and it's surprising decent,IL2 is smooth as silk. My load times right now are pretty bad(about 4-5 min to get in pit) I want to put some unused(for now) modules into disable, and would like to know if this will help load time? I really like DCS, but sometimes the load times are really terrible(Multiplayer is real slow to load).

Thank you

What happens if you try it yourself?

If it works then you gain loading time, if it doesn't you re-enable the modules.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

AFAIK it shouldn't help. It only loads whichever data needed, so e.g. if you go for A-10C II on Persian Gulf, it only loads A-10C II cockpit data and PG data (and of course any assets placed in the map). You can basically see it happening as well: First time after booting DCS, long loading time for map and aircraft. Second time loading same map+aircraft is way faster. Then loading a different map and/or aircraft makes longer loading times again.

What are your pc's specs? And is DCS installed on an SSD or HDD? Expecially multiplayer loves RAM, eats all it can find...

4 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

What happens if you try it yourself?

If it works then you gain loading time, if it doesn't you re-enable the modules.

Not everybody has super duper internet speeds, so if you delete modules and it doesn't work, and you need a day to re-download them again that sucks. So fair question of the topic starter IMO.

Intel i9 10850k | Noctua NH-U12A | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC | Patriot Viper Steel 64gb @3600MT/s | ASUS TUF RX 7900 XTX OC | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, Koekemoeroetoe said:

Not everybody has super duper internet speeds, so if you delete modules and it doesn't work, and you need a day to re-download them again that sucks. So fair question of the topic starter IMO.

Disable doesn't mean uninstall or delete. The moment you enable it again, it's ready to play without any re-download.

• Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

1 hour ago, Lange_666 said:

Disable doesn't mean uninstall or delete. The moment you enable it again, it's ready to play without any re-download.

Exactly!

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHz

Video: EVGA GTX 1080

Ram: Patriot DDR4 2800 8GBx2

PWR:Corsair RM750i

Then I might have misunderstood, but nevertheless I can't see how disabling a module would speed up the loading process.

To clarify, with disabling you mean deactivating a module through the module manager I presume?

Intel i9 10850k | Noctua NH-U12A | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC | Patriot Viper Steel 64gb @3600MT/s | ASUS TUF RX 7900 XTX OC | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | HP Reverb G2

Correctly. This module is no longer displayed in DCS, you can no longer play with it. The module, map and campaign are only deleted by clicking on the trash can symbol. And then you have to pull it out of the network again.

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

36 minutes ago, Cooter said:

Thanks for the answers, I need to start pricing stuff to rebuild my gaming rig.

That's cool but what about answering some questions asked? Is your DCS on SSD? What are your systems specs?

Afaik DCS loads some data (like sounds) from the enabled modules right at the start so disabling some might shorten the loading time. If you're on Windows 10 make sure to exclude DCS folders (both main and Saved games) from Windows Defender - that alone can greatly improve loading times.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 2 weeks later...