Take it down?

lemoen

I had the same problem. In this case, it means "go low and evade" and to be honest, it is contrary to how I usually evade SAMs - the best way usually being trying to drain energy.
During first play through, I wondered if I was really expected to engage a bunch of SAMs with only guns and travel pods.

Also, do not end Mission 1 until you stand completely still with wheels chocked on Krymsk. Learned that one the hard way.

signature.png

Hi guys, 

This campaign was inspired by a lot of the books I read about Vietnam operations. The two big one being "100 missions North" by Ken Bell a F-105 pilot and  
Fighter Pilot: The Memoirs of Legendary Ace Robin Olds. When a SAM launch was spotted the command was to "Take it Down" as into dive to break the SAM lock and evade. 

A good example can be heard here. Around 1:46 you can hear the conversations 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

That is good to know! On my first attempt, I tried going low and evading but was shot down. On my next try I flew a screaming spiral at the SAMs and took out a few units with my guns....

However, when returning to base nearly at sea level, I suddenly saw shimmering stars surround my plane and a short while later my pilot died. Weird! 

• 2 years later...
On 1/28/2021 at 6:01 AM, JonathanRL said:

I had the same problem. In this case, it means "go low and evade" and to be honest, it is contrary to how I usually evade SAMs - the best way usually being trying to drain energy.
During first play through, I wondered if I was really expected to engage a bunch of SAMs with only guns and travel pods.

Also, do not end Mission 1 until you stand completely still with wheels chocked on Krymsk. Learned that one the hard way.

These early SAMs are completely useless against low targets. They will not even lock you if you fly low, and there's no AAA, so these missions are actually really easy if you don't crash.