F-18 ECM Jammer Questions

THE KING

6 hours ago, Spartan111sqn said:

Thanks guys for the answer, I know what a Growler is, please have a look to ALQ 126b and ALQ 162. One for pulse doppler and other for continuous wave, one was mounted integrated in the pylon.

I have no idea of the answer to this but like someone raised earlier. Did the current DCS module of the F-18 ever get this equipment?

keep in mind that real world aircraft are designed and developed for whatever tactics are how it fits within the whole realm of the team. Which is some what a problem within DCS. Cause although it may seem strange that a F-18 has to turn off radar for ECM but remember when they designed this feature in real world for what ever reason they were also thinking this aircraft is backed up by F-18 growlers to do the jamming for them and backed up by awacs so the F-18 doesn’t even turn in its radar until it’s time to engage. Hence why when other countries that don’t work on the same doctrine or have all the same levels of support they have to reach out and get equipment to fill in the gaps for the same aircraft.

im not saying this is the answer but even tho it seems strange for DCS in the real world it makes sense because it was designed to work in a massive team environment. Which doesn’t really function in DCS. Would be epic if we do get some kind of AI support like that one day tho.

Edited by Blinky.ben
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just remember the ASPJ on the hornet FAILED its operational tests, it was only fitted after an F-16 got taken out in Bosnia, and it was the only option available. It was notorious for being unreliable during fleet tests which was finally traced to them designing the system to the wrong G-limits. The Navy didn`t get a system with a tuneable filter to allow interoperation with the Radar until the F-18E/F was introduced. So a jammer that kind of works and does bad things to your radar is accurate for the period hornet we have.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mandellorian said:

Just remember the ASPJ on the hornet FAILED its operational tests, it was only fitted after an F-16 got taken out in Bosnia, and it was the only option available. It was notorious for being unreliable during fleet tests which was finally traced to them designing the system to the wrong G-limits. The Navy didn`t get a system with a tuneable filter to allow interoperation with the Radar until the F-18E/F was introduced. So a jammer that kind of works and does bad things to your radar is accurate for the period hornet we have.

ASPJ wasn't even carried by USN/USMC hornet, it would damage the avionics rack on arrested landings. They used the old ALQ-126 instead.

iirc there was one USMC squadron that used them once, I can't remember why though.

• Like 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

I had no idea the ecm was affecting my own radar lol. What does it do on receive mode? And maybe this is why people are having issues with the hornet radar because they don’t realize the ecm is putting their radar in standby?

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

17 hours ago, Relic said:

I had no idea the ecm was affecting my own radar lol. What does it do on receive mode? And maybe this is why people are having issues with the hornet radar because they don’t realize the ecm is putting their radar in standby?

I was definitely foiled by not knowing that the other day.

According to Chuck's Guide, "REC : Receive Mode collects information on radars scanning your aircraft but does not transmit jamming signal".  This would be for ELINT purposes.

Edited by Machalot
update with Chuck's guide info

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."