Question about AGM84D and SEA MODE radar

flankerjun

1、if i launch HPD with sea radar,do i need to guidance the missles after i launch?

2、what does the seeker mean in HPD page?

3、why sometimes when the HPD start reducing the altitude,they just dive into the sea,you can see the trk files.

AGM84D SEA MODE.trk

A-10C Warthog,Flaming Cliffs 3,F-16C VIPER,F/A-18C HORNET,Super Carrier,AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL,Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight,Black Shark 2,SA342 Gazelle,UH-1H Huey,Persian Gulf Map,Combined Arms

Intel i7-14700KF| Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 2070 AD Special OC GDDR6 8G | Acer PREDATOR 32g DDR5 6000MHZ | MSI PRO Z790A-MAX | Kingston KC3000 1T SSD M.2 | ST 12T HDD 7200RPM | AOC 2790PQU 27'' 4K |Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog PC

I also find that if i set fly high,the missle is always fly over the ship,set fly medium is OK

A-10C Warthog,Flaming Cliffs 3,F-16C VIPER,F/A-18C HORNET,Super Carrier,AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL,Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight,Black Shark 2,SA342 Gazelle,UH-1H Huey,Persian Gulf Map,Combined Arms

Intel i7-14700KF| Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 2070 AD Special OC GDDR6 8G | Acer PREDATOR 32g DDR5 6000MHZ | MSI PRO Z790A-MAX | Kingston KC3000 1T SSD M.2 | ST 12T HDD 7200RPM | AOC 2790PQU 27'' 4K |Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog PC

Yesterday I made a quick try.

First ı locked a ship from sea mode. then i launched 2 harpoons. first one went to 3 o'clock instead 12 o'clock. other one hit the ship

How can i know that i transferred the radar lock parameters properly?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

First ı locked a ship from sea mode. then i launched 2 harpoons. first one went to 3 o'clock instead 12 o'clock. other one hit the ship
With an A/G designation, press mode to select R/BL mode. It's unavailable without designation.
  • Thanks 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

59 minutes ago, schurem said:

Has the performance of the harpoon warhead been reported yet? If not I'll make a track tonight and do a formal bug report. That rocket hits with the full force of a wet newspaper. 

Yes, several times, alongside the damage modelling for ships.

Funny thing is, it has a larger warhead than the Rb-15F and C-802AK, but does less damage than either of them.

There's also the issue of it's strange flight profile (it sounds more reasonable to have it go down to sea-skimming upon reaching seeker activation range or maybe the FXP/HPTP - the whole point of sea-skimming is to hide underneath the RADAR horizon created by the curvature of the Earth, right now it only goes to sea-skimming after acquisition - where sea-skimming loses its advantage).

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I have also noticed that if you use the radar (designating on top tgt/tracking) and R/BL. Even with seek on large the 84D just about always "waits" in till its around 7nm before entering terminal fase.
But if you set/designate an area in front of intendet tgt. (say 5-20nm) the 84D usually enters terminal fase at 15+nm.
So clearly something is not as it should i feel.

This has been an issue since Harpoon was introduced.... 

The issue is the flight profile before seeker activation. It should be flying much lower during it's search phase....irrespective of the flight profile (HIGH/MID/LOW) that you select. 

Also, SKIM / POP nothing to do with main issue, that only applies during very last terminal phase.

If only ED would look into it's search behaviour.... they did increase the radar seeker range by 50% or so, as a band aid, but that wasn't the true solution.

"The issue is the flight profile before seeker activation. It should be flying much lower during it's search phase....irrespective of the flight profile (HIGH/MID/LOW) that you select."

So if i understand this correctly. HIGH/MID/LOW is just setting the missiles "farry"cruise altitude before entering the programed search range. In which it will drop altitude and power up its radar?

25 minutes ago, Baikingu said:

"The issue is the flight profile before seeker activation. It should be flying much lower during it's search phase....irrespective of the flight profile (HIGH/MID/LOW) that you select."

So if i understand this correctly. HIGH/MID/LOW is just setting the missiles "farry"cruise altitude before entering the programed search range. In which it will drop altitude and power up its radar?

It should be yes. 

I presume that the search altitude is only a few hundred feet, and it’s programmed to descend to this altitude, to be there no later than the start of the search range. 

It makes absolutely no sense for the missile to be theoretically at 15000ft (med profile, 30000ft high profile!), at target acquisition, which may be only 15-20 miles or less from the target. 

Edited by AvroLanc

12 hours ago, ebabil said:

I'd recommend watching the preview/update video that Wags did which details the procedure.