using a mouse in VR?

skypickle

Reverb G2 is a great experience. I especially like how there is a little white dot bound to your viewpoint. Simply by looking at a control, its description pops up. However, to activate the swithc/dial you are looking at, you have to click the mouse. That means removing your hands from the HOTAS and blindly feeling around for the rodent.

It would be nice if I could bind a mouse click to one of the buttons on my VKB flight stick or even the thrustmaster T16000. But the software for these controllers is so ponderous. Is there a small piece of software that allows me to bind a mouse click to one of these controllers? or is there a better dolution? I am thinking of building a bite sensor like this

https://hackaday.com/2021/01/26/custom-bite-sensor-replaces-keyboard-expression-pedal/

But then I will REALLY look like a borg- headset on, hands attached to weird controllers and wires dangling out of my mouth.

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

I assigned the mouse functions to buttons on my stick. Don't have to take my hand off the stick.

You can do this in the UI Layer of the controller settings menu.

Be aware it is a global setting, and not module specific. Works pretty good for me.

Just scroll down the module listings in the controller setup and you will find the UI Layer.

Same place you can assign two levels of VR Zoom and VR Re-Center view.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have a trackball mouse next to my throttle. I can easy find it when I'm in VR. It takes a bit of getting used to, especially if you're right handed, but it works pretty well and having a left handed one next to the throttle means you can keep your hand on the stick.

PXL_20210127_005156883.jpg

• Like 2

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

11 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

I have a trackball mouse next to my throttle. I can easy find it when I'm in VR. It takes a bit of getting used to, especially if you're right handed, but it works pretty well and having a left handed one next to the throttle means you can keep your hand on the stick.

PXL_20210127_005156883.jpg

Damn I might have to get me one of these. I use the mouse for cockpit interaction in VR and even when I'm flying straight and level it is quite scary to remove my hand from my stick in any non FBW module. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 7:40 PM, skypickle said:

Reverb G2 is a great experience. I especially like how there is a little white dot bound to your viewpoint. Simply by looking at a control, its description pops up. However, to activate the swithc/dial you are looking at, you have to click the mouse. That means removing your hands from the HOTAS and blindly feeling around for the rodent.

It would be nice if I could bind a mouse click to one of the buttons on my VKB flight stick or even the thrustmaster T16000. But the software for these controllers is so ponderous. Is there a small piece of software that allows me to bind a mouse click to one of these controllers? or is there a better dolution? I am thinking of building a bite sensor like this

https://hackaday.com/2021/01/26/custom-bite-sensor-replaces-keyboard-expression-pedal/

But then I will REALLY look like a borg- headset on, hands attached to weird controllers and wires dangling out of my mouth.

If having to change hands really is a problem for you, there is an alternative for this...

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

On 2/8/2021 at 7:52 PM, Thinder said:

If having to change hands really is a problem for you, there is an alternative for this...

Yep, I love VA for certain things.  

• Like 1

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB